It is currently 05/12/24 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 23  Next   Page 17 of 23   [ 565 posts ]
 Post subject: Pet peeve(s) of the day
PostPosted: 07/19/12 8:20 am • # 401 
Editorialist

Sidartha wrote:
For the Saab part, I'd be doing a few things... looking on the internet for the part AND either finding a mechanic willing to do the work - OR - finding the repair manual and cataloging what tools I'm going to need. Image
Thanks Sid.  I already ordered the part twice from the internet and got the wrong part.  Saab doesn't use part numbers...I could write a book on this one but it would be really boring.  I have a good roof guy who can do the work in 15 minutes if we can come up with the part.
The repair facility that bailed on me is different- they are the engine and body people associated with my warranty.  I'm having some fuel delivery and expenditure issues. So you see I have two problems.

PostPosted: 07/19/12 9:42 am • # 402 
Editorialist

A roof guy working on your car?!  LOL, I Love it!

Oh! I just thought of something. Have you tried scrap yards?

PostPosted: 07/19/12 1:25 pm • # 403 
Administrator

Leaking seals on your cylinder, Queen?

Quote:
Possible solution for leaking Convertible Top hydraulic cylinder seals
Hi, I have waited for a year to post this potential solution I have used on my 1999 Saab 9-3 Convertible, to solve leaking Convertible Top hydraulic cylinder seals. You know you have this problem by the following symptom(s):

1) You hear a straining sound as your top goes to close or open at its end of travel

2) You top won't fully open or fully retract

3) You find puddles of thin oil just forward of the rear wheels on the ground.

Now you may simply need a topping off of you top hydraulic oil. You can get it from you dealer, but it is not cheap, at approx $60 for ½ liter. That is your best first shot. The hydraulic pump reservoir is located below the plastic trim piece and a metal plate at the pass thru opening behind the back seat and the trunk. You will need to remove the pump from its mounts to rotate it to add hydraulic fluid. Make sure not to over fill.

IF YOU ARE SURE YOU HAVE LEAKING SEALS, then modify the above procedure as follows;

1) Obtain a bottle of Lucas 100% Petroleum Hydraulic Oil Booster & Stop Leak. (this is not the same as their brake fluid stop leak, so you may have to order it on the web, that's what I did)

2) Before you fill the reservoir, mix up a batch of 5 parts of Saab Hydraulic Oil to 1 part of Lucas Stop Leak, Make sure you have mixed it well.

3) Carefully add the mixture to the reservoir, and button it up and remount it.

4) Open and close the top automatically about 2 dozen times. A full cycle each time. This will get the solution in all the lines and the cylinders and the pump. If it has trouble opening or closing you can assist the top by hand while you have someone else toggle the switch. Watch for pinch points.

5) Look for leaks over the next week or 2 as you open and close you top. They should be on the ground just in front of the rear wheels. Leaks now are actually a good thing, as the mixture needs to find its way to the seal surface at the cylinder to work.

6) If after some time you start having a problem with the top again, make up a mixture of 3 parts of hydraulic oil to 1 part of stop leak, and use that in step 2 and repeat steps 2 thru 5

I did this repair a year ago and my top has worked like a champ over that year.

DISCLAIMER: THIS SOLUTION MAY NOT WORK FOR YOU, AND MAY ACTUALLY DO MORE DAMAGE TO YOUR TOP HYDRAULIC SYSTEM THAN YOU HAD BEFORE.

I figured it was worth the risk to me, as I could not stand to not use my convertible and wanted to try a low cost solution before I shelled out big bucks.
http://www.saabcentral.co.../showthread.php?t=153792

PostPosted: 07/23/12 11:40 am • # 404 
Editorialist

Thanks Jab but how can I get anyone to do the work with this disclaimer? DISCLAIMER: THIS SOLUTION MAY NOT WORK FOR YOU, AND MAY ACTUALLY DO MORE DAMAGE TO YOUR TOP HYDRAULIC SYSTEM THAN YOU HAD BEFORE

PostPosted: 07/23/12 12:13 pm • # 405 
Editorialist

What year/model Saab?

PostPosted: 07/23/12 12:59 pm • # 406 
Administrator

so you have a leak? What can go wrong with a leaking seal other than stop the leak?
If you know the location of the reservoir and can use a screwdriver you can't go wrong with a small addition of the leak stopper mentioned above.

PostPosted: 07/24/12 1:28 am • # 407 
Editorialist

Roseanne- he is a convertible roof guy not a building roof guy.  Hahaha! And of course I have looked for recycled parts/junkyards.
Grandpa- 2005 Saab 9-3 Linear Convertible
Jabra-  I would and could put the fluid in- I have been looking for an idea like that.  However, the roof guy has left the motor disconnected so I don't get stuck and that is the part I cannot do myself.  The car's computer is involved too, in hooking it up.  I guess I'll have to find someone who is uninsured.

PostPosted: 07/24/12 1:49 am • # 408 
Administrator

Why don't you hand your roof guy a printout of that leak stop guide? Worth a try and he might have an "Eureka" moment.
It might give you the years needed until you get the correct replacement part.

PostPosted: 07/24/12 7:29 am • # 409 
Editorialist

Roseanne- he is a convertible roof guy not a building roof guy.  Hahaha

ImageImage

Seeing as how we are doing roofs at our building, that's where my mind went.

PostPosted: 08/03/12 8:00 am • # 410 
Editorialist

So, I solved my Saab problem- I handed it over to my husband to let him deal with it and I got another car.  Image

And Jab, I did copy your solution off but I didn't have a chance to hand it over to the mechanic.  Maybe my husband will resort to that but he thinks he can get the part. If I were a betting woman, well...

PostPosted: 08/06/12 4:48 am • # 411 
Editorialist

ImageWhat did you get queen???

So, I'm in the pet store for some canned food for the cats over the weekend. Naturally, I stopped to give a little attention to the kittens who were there for adoption. ( That's required, 'ya know.)

A few feet away there's a big bin of discounted dog toys. Middle-aged lady with a dog in her arms is looking through them. Or I should say *digging* through them...and one by one about 8 different toys fall to the floor. She leaves them on the floor and walks over to the kittens. I looked at her with a "Are you kidding me???" glare, walked over and picked up the toys one by one while glaring at her...she's trying to pretend she doesn't see me. 

Seriously???Image

PostPosted: 08/06/12 7:04 am • # 412 
Editorialist

Isn't it amazing Chaos? We had an owner here complain about the fact that someone leaves an empty cup on the interior heating unit all the time. This was at the General Meeting. The property manager, who lives here, said "Well, pick it up, it's your home too!" We do have a cleaner, but he only cleans the common areas once  a week. He also said, "We could have someone here every day, but your condo fees will go up!" lmao

That's compared to another owner who will pick up trash in the courtyard as he's walking his dogs. "His" end of the courtyard stays very clean, lol.

Some people have this sense of "Well, someone gets paid to do that!" attitude. Image

PostPosted: 08/06/12 7:31 am • # 413 
Editorialist

Indeed, roseanne. Image

PostPosted: 08/07/12 1:34 pm • # 414 
Editorialist

I got a 2009 VW Beetle Convertible. Hahaha- the next day I read on MSN that I was not allowed to have one- they are for the young, not the young at heart.

PostPosted: 08/07/12 11:35 pm • # 415 
Administrator

Volkswagen says that being young ends the day you get your prescription for a walker.
You're good to go.

PostPosted: 08/08/12 1:54 am • # 416 
Editorialist

My dream car is a full restored VW Beetle (not convertible for this weather, lol) from the early 70's or so.Image lol

Of course hubby's dream car is a fully restored sports car of some sort. The make changes when he finds an article online...Image

PostPosted: 08/08/12 2:21 am • # 417 
Editorialist

jabra2 wrote:
Volkswagen says that being young ends the day you get your prescription for a walker.
You're good to go.

Thanks Jab- I guess that gives me a few more years.

Roseanne- I had a 1970 Beetle in the 80s.  It was tough to keep it up even then.  The chrome bumpers rusted and rusterd no matter what you did to them.  And the floors rusted away too.  And the heat for the backseat was non existant because the pipes ran alongside the rocker panels and rusted out.  Maybe you can find one buried in some old guy's midwestern garage that has had little exposure to the elements.

PostPosted: 08/08/12 2:21 am • # 418 
Administrator

My dream car has always been a fully-restored 1957 Thunderbird ~ I came close to buying one maybe 10 years ago ~ then I decided it was just too cool to drive in Chicago traffic and on Chicago roads ~ Image

Sooz

PostPosted: 08/08/12 3:04 am • # 419 
Editorialist

My dream car is a full restored VW Beetle (not convertible for this weather, lol) from the early 70's or so.Image lol

Had a secretary/bookkeeper back in the eighties and nineties who had one.  Turned out she was embezzling the funds to pay for it.  She had worked for me for twenty years too!

PostPosted: 08/08/12 3:16 am • # 420 
Editorialist

Ooooh, thanks for the idea jim! Image  Of course there are no "funds" to embezzle here unless I get everyone to pay rent in cash. That would be discovered quickly when head office didn't get any rent and it's not enough to abscond to Tahiti. Image

PostPosted: 08/08/12 4:13 am • # 421 
Editorialist

The lawn needs to be cut. Riding mower has needed a new battery for a long time, so I've been jumping it with our jumper pack. Jumper pack is out of juice, can't find the charger. Push mower ( pull cord to start) has only started for me once in the past decade. 
I guess the lawn wins today. grrrrrrrImage

PostPosted: 08/08/12 4:18 am • # 422 
Administrator

I don't make this offer often or to many ~ but In a sincere effort to be a good friend, Chaos, if you're really bored you can come here and do my laundry! ~ Image

Sooz

PostPosted: 08/08/12 4:33 am • # 423 
Editorialist

sooz08 wrote:
I don't make this offer often or to many ~ but In a sincere effort to be a good friend, Chaos, if you're really bored you can come here and do my laundry! ~ Image

Sooz

Image Gee, thanks sooz...that's sweet of you. I'm only about 6 loads away from finishing mine, then I'll be right over.Image

PostPosted: 08/08/12 5:41 am • # 424 
Administrator

queenoftheuniverse wrote:
jabra2 wrote:
You're good to go.

Roseanne- I had a 1970 Beetle in the 80s.  It was tough to keep it up even then.  The chrome bumpers rusted and rusterd no matter what you did to them.  And the floors rusted away too.  And the heat for the backseat was non existant because the pipes ran alongside the rocker panels and rusted out.  Maybe you can find one buried in some old guy's midwestern garage that has had little exposure to the elements.

Say what? The beetle had heat?
Come to think of it, there were some kind of heat exchangers in the engine compartment but I think they were factory-set to activate after several hundred kilometers of brisk autobahn drive, and only as long as the outside temps were mild.
I clearly remember scraping the frost off the interior of my 1956 windshield. But, what a ride going through snow covered roads in the alps to go skiing!

PostPosted: 08/08/12 6:29 am • # 425 
Editorialist

jabra2 wrote:
queenoftheuniverse wrote:
jabra2 wrote:
You're good to go.

Say what? The beetle had heat?
Come to think of it, there were some kind of heat exchangers in the engine compartment but I think they were factory-set to activate after several hundred kilometers of brisk autobahn drive, and only as long as the outside temps were mild.
I clearly remember scraping the frost off the interior of my 1956 windshield. But, what a ride going through snow covered roads in the alps to go skiing!

And the heat for the backseat was   non existant   geez taken out of context like a politician.  BTW, where did you put the skis?

Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 23  Next   Page 17 of 23   [ 565 posts ] New Topic Add Reply