It is currently 05/23/24 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 23  Next   Page 6 of 23   [ 565 posts ]
 Post subject: Pet peeve(s) of the day
PostPosted: 01/04/11 2:36 pm • # 126 
I take my four 11 to 14 year old nieces to Hollister the day after Thanksgiving to buy their Christmas presents.  This way they will fit and I know they will like them.  

PostPosted: 01/04/11 2:38 pm • # 127 
Editorialist

I love you kath.

PostPosted: 01/05/11 8:10 am • # 128 
Editorialist

Me too, Kath.  That would save me the trouble of taking her to Hollister, Aeropostale, Target, Old Navy and Abercrombie the day after Christmas to spend her gift cards and cash, and also throw in the amount it exceeds her resources.

PostPosted: 01/05/11 11:51 am • # 129 
Editorialist

Chaos333 wrote:
Laundry peeve....as I'm in the midst of what will wind up being about 8 loads.

It's wonderful that my daughter gets so many great clothes as gifts, really. Especially since she's in pre-teen mode and not interested in "little girl" clothes anymore. However.....I've made certain things clear over the years. Crystal clear. Rule number ONE: If it can't machine wash and tumble dry, it can't live here. lol Gentle cycle/ tumble low-fine. But we don't do dry clean. And we don't do hand wash. (If you give her hand wash, you'd better be around enough to hand wash it if it needs it.) Finding a place for anything to lay flat to dry is a joke, as the cats have clean clothes radar. And yet, without fail, the uber-fancy schmancy dress shows up...sweaters that need "reshape and dry flat"....a matched outfit with pants that can go in the dryer and a shirt that needs to lay flat...( wth?)...and our old friend, "hand wash only". Image

Rule number two: Your odds of buying her pants that fit are about 50-1. Either take her to the store with you, or just give her a gift card or something, because I really don't have the time or the inclination to run back to stores to exchange clothes. 

I'm busy doing laundry.....Image

LOL! I've found that most times the "hand wash/lay flat to dry and/or dry clean only" are just suggestions. I buy things that say this, toss it in with the rest and they come out fine. The only exception would be something like mohair etc., which I just don't buy. Hubby just bought a shirt that said "wash gentle cycle/do not tumble dry. Ha ha, I forgot and it came out fine too. Sometimes I think the garment industry is in cahoots with the dry cleaning industry because most people don't have time even for the hand wash stuff, so they just take it to a dry cleaner. Image

I worked with one woman who sent everything to the dry cleaner. I must say, she did look very "pressed" all the time, but still.........very expensive proposition.

I used to wash and press my ex's white dress shirts (the undertaker, lol) until I got fed up with the pressing part. He generously suggested that I take them in to be pressed.  Funny enough, the first time I took them in the woman asked "You're his wife?" with a funny look. Turns out it was his mistress who he later married, got beaten around the head by her with the butt of a gun and divorced. Image 

PostPosted: 01/05/11 4:57 pm • # 130 
Editorialist

See what happens when you sniff dry cleaning chemicals all day long? LOL

PostPosted: 01/14/11 8:27 am • # 131 
Editorialist

It's been one of those days...

I need someone to explain to me why the stores are stocking bikinis and flip flops in JANUARY in the northeast. We have this thing every year called *winter*, and when it comes along, there's sometimes this very cold white stuff that falls from the sky, called snow. This cold white stuff makes your feet cold, and if it's taller than your shoes it gets in them and melts, thus making wet, cold feet.

But not a snow boot in sight in the stores around here! Image

PostPosted: 01/14/11 11:37 am • # 132 
They're catering to the younger set who are already fantasizing about lolling in the beaches in March. Who gives a flying rat's ass about the older set stuck up in the north?

PostPosted: 01/19/11 9:42 am • # 133 
Editorialist

Ok, I've long held that the modern "war on bacteria" is part of the reason (with the overuse of antibiotics) so many drug resistant bugs are around. Not only do they resist drugs, but our own bodies can't resist them like they could in times past.

Now comes the newest money-making fad. Hands free soap dispenser. Am I wrong here, but don't you wash your hands AFTER you touch a soap dispenser anyway?Image  I can see hands free faucets, paper towel dispensers and toilet flushers, but come on! You don't touch the dispenser and then put your hands in your mouth.Image 

I always made sure my kids played in the dirt, when they probably got a lot in their mouths and generally let them get dirty. I didn't obsess over hand washing, face washing etc. They had numerous colds and the flu, but managed to ride them out with no ill effects and no doctors visits. As adults they rarely ever get sick now. I credit their exposure to things early on in their lives to training, or building, their own immune systems.

PostPosted: 01/20/11 3:15 am • # 134 
Editorialist

The only benefit I can see to a hands-free soap gadget is that they only dispense a set amount of soap. So for kids who tend to use enough to wash 1000 hands, it might save a penny or two- after they get over the novelty of the thing. lol In a situation like at the shop where my hubby works where there's a lot of grease and grime, might not be the worst idea. Or a medical setting.

Though I do understand the whole "overuse of antibiotics" thing, there's two sides to every story. My kiddo was sick once with a very high fever, throwing up, etc. etc. After a day, I call the doc and they tell me there's a stomach bug going around, "antibiotics won't help" and to "let it run its course". She threw up all over her bed that night, I call the next morning...same story. By day four, she's even worse and I had to bark at them just to get an appointment. Turned out to be strep, which caused the fever, which caused the puking. No stomach bug involved. 

She suffered for four days, but 24 hours after finally getting the antibiotics on board-poof-fever down and no puke. There are times I swear it would be easier to get morphine from a doc than an antibiotic because they're so quick to say an antibiotic isn't needed.

PostPosted: 01/20/11 4:14 am • # 135 
Doctors are wary of using antibiotics because of the new "super bugs" that are showing up in hospitals. To me, it's too little too late. They should have known this was a possibility way back in the 70's.

PostPosted: 01/20/11 5:02 am • # 136 
Editorialist

Seems to me the "super bugs" came about because of people not completing their full course of antibiotics, more so than just the use of antibiotics.

PostPosted: 01/26/11 6:23 am • # 137 
Editorialist

Hmm Chaos, the old adage "what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger?"  I'd never thought about it that way. I admit that I was guilty of that a lot when I was younger. Antibiotics always made me feel drained (and with women, the yeast infection that could ensueImage) so I would stop taking them once I felt better. You may be right!

PostPosted: 01/26/11 8:30 am • # 138 
Editorialist

Yeah, that and all the antibiotics in our food.  Plenty of it in your beef and chicken whether they needed it or not!

PostPosted: 01/26/11 8:59 am • # 139 
Editorialist

There's surely overuse of antibiotics ( in the food supply like Queen says) as well as failing to complete the course. 

And yes...guilty as charged here, too. Technically, we should never have leftover antibiotics. Oops.

PostPosted: 02/02/11 5:36 am • # 140 
Editorialist

( why do I feel like I'm perpetually posting peeves?)

My mom bought my kiddo a bunch of school clothes over the summer ( thanks mom!). Three were sets in different colors/patterns-pants, tops, and cute little coordinating sheer scarves with metallic threads. (Each shirt actually has a little loop at the back of the neck for the scarf, so it can't fall off and get lost.)

She's happily worn these outfits through two marking periods, of course taking the little scarf off for gym. 

*Yesterday* the asst. principal reads her the riot act about "scarves are against the dress code" and makes her march back to her locker and stash it, because it "represents a potential danger/choking hazard". The dress code does mention outwear "coats hats and scarves" not to be worn in school-okay. But these are clearly NOT scarves for warmth. lol Whatever-fine-she won't wear them from now on.

But I am peeved that she wore them for half the school year and nothing was said. Further, I'm hard pressed to find any incident of a middle school student in the USA ever having been harmed by a scarf, intentionally or unintentionally.  I see a 5 year old Nova Scotia kid caught her scarf while going down a slide on the playground. There are no slides in middle school. Of course, you wouldn't wear anything loose around your neck in, say, shop class. But we don't have shop.  

If scarves are "dangerous", shouldn't we ban pens/pencils/plastic utensils in the lunchroom too? Someone could stab themselves or take an eye out! And those lockers? My kid got whomped in the head by the metal door to the top section on the second day of school! Better remove all the doors too-fingers can and have been crushed! And there's steps to the second floor-and I know kids who have turned ankles on 'em-a hazard! LMAOImage

PostPosted: 02/02/11 5:40 am • # 141 
I don't think the school is concerned for your kid's safety so much as they're concerned about potential lawsuits if your kid gets hurt.

PostPosted: 02/02/11 5:50 am • # 142 
Editorialist

queenoftheuniverse wrote:
Yeah, that and all the antibiotics in our food.  Plenty of it in your beef and chicken whether they needed it or not!

Thankfully, no antibiotics (or growth hormones) in our milk and certain brands of chicken here. By extension, none in any of the cheeses which are made here, like Kraft Canada.Image It tastes MUCH better, imo.

Canadian beef has very little, but unfortunately most of the beef we buy here comes from elsewhere. We export most of our own beef.Image

You can avoid those things by buying organic. But who can afford that? I've found some locally grown beef, but dang it's so expensive. When more small farms start marketing their products in our local organic food stores, maybe the price will come down.

PostPosted: 02/02/11 5:52 am • # 143 
Editorialist

Sidartha wrote:
I don't think the school is concerned for your kid's safety so much as they're concerned about potential lawsuits if your kid gets hurt.

I'll second that! The assistant principal was too busy with the start of school crap to notice, probably. OR another student ratted her out. lol

PostPosted: 03/03/11 6:35 am • # 144 
Editorialist

Diesel vehicles. We had a truck this morning right outside the office warming up for about 15 minutes, belching stinky smoke. When they ban diesel anything, then they can talk to me about banning smoking in public places dammnit. You can't tell me that it's good to breathe that crap. Between the transit buses and school buses that run each and every day, it's nauseating if you are in a high traffic area. Luckily, it's not as bad here as it was when we lived near downtown. Only one city bus on our street and a couple of school buses.

The truck has been gone about 15 minutes now and I can STILL smell it. Image It permeates through walls and door cracks. Yuck.

PostPosted: 03/03/11 8:05 am • # 145 
Editorialist

We actually have a law about that, which did cut things down considerably...but there's still too much.

Idling cars, trucks, school buses, public and private transportation buses, and off-road construction vehicles/equipment all contribute to the degradation of local air quality. Current regulations limit engine idling for both diesel and gasoline vehicles to three minutes with limited exceptions. The new diesel bill has given authority to State government and local police departments to fine offenders. Call the NJDEP 24-hour, toll-free hotline at (877) 927-6337 or WARN DEP or your local police department to report idling violations (please do not call 911).

PostPosted: 03/03/11 10:03 am • # 146 
Editorialist

I wish we had that here Chaos.

Another rant: Freaking people who think they are the center of the universe!ImageImageImageImage

Had a resident who has water dripping onto the tarp covering her $800 bike (so she informed me today, lol) in her locker. She called a couple of days ago and I even called her back yesterday to explain that we would look at it but that it was month end  AND we've had a lot of heating problems to deal with in this cold spell for the last week. She was all sweetness and understanding yesterday. Not today. OMG, I could just see her stamping her feet like a 2 year old. Sheesh.

PostPosted: 03/18/11 11:17 am • # 147 
Editorialist

A Snowfall warning is in effect for Calgary, Kananaskis, and the surrounding areas.

From sun...to snow

Our sunny Fri. will give way to a snowy Sat., as snow develops around mid-day, and continues into Sun.  Total amounts, before spring arrives officially Sun. eve., could be in the 10 to 20 cm. range, with the higher amounts toward the foothills. It will continue unsettled into next week, with more flurries Mon., before conditions gradually improve later in the week. 

'nuff said. Image

PostPosted: 03/25/11 6:26 am • # 148 
Didn't know where to put this but had to vent:  new definition of "letdown":  My federal tax refund was deposited nicely in the bank account...no problems...after waiting weeks to hear about the state income tax refund, in which the site would just say "processing", I received a check in the mail from the Arkansas treasury for $15...problem is, according to my filing, I was entitled to a refund of $1200...no letter of explanation accompanied the check, nothing...last year i paid Arkansas over $2000 and I was looking forward to the 1200 refund (kind of like poetic justice?) Arkansas has got to be the most expensive state for income tax I have ever lived in!!!!

PostPosted: 03/25/11 7:19 am • # 149 
Editorialist

Well if it helps any, we pay a heck of a lot more than that here in NJ, Cannalee!

Looks like you're going to have to try and contact someone about that $15 check. Good luck. Image

PostPosted: 03/25/11 7:56 am • # 150 
Can't even buy a case of beer to cry in with that...

Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 23  Next   Page 6 of 23   [ 565 posts ] New Topic Add Reply