It is currently 05/04/24 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
PostPosted: 02/16/09 3:04 am • # 1 
Administrator

Following an argument or "feeling wronged" by someone, and following an apology by that someone, do you carry a grudge?

Sooz

PostPosted: 02/16/09 3:42 am • # 2 
It depends on the wrong. If it is a serious wrong, then my forgiveness doesnt matter. I only surround myself with quality people, someone who would do me a serious wrong doesn't get a second chance to do it again. So yes, i carry grudges. If it isn't a question of character and it is a person I care about, then I do forgive.

PostPosted: 02/16/09 3:51 am • # 3 
Editorialist

I try very hard not to carry a grudge regardless of an apology. It becomes wasted, negative 'energy' - and I don't mean that in some new age, spiritual way.

I won't go into details, but I remember being angry with a coworker with about something she did. For a time, I avoided talking her - didn't say hello when we passed in the hallway even if she said hello, etc. - but after a time I realized I had to "work" at ignoring her. It required an effort to keep my grudge going. So one day I stopped by her office and asked if she wanted to join myself and others who were going out for lunch. I felt better about it all after that and I think (I hope) I learned something.

PostPosted: 02/16/09 7:35 am • # 4 
Second chances are good sometimes. But, a famous man once said:

"Fool me once, shame on you; Fool me twice, shame on me." Gomer Pyle

PostPosted: 02/16/09 8:23 am • # 5 
Much depends upon the apparent sincerity of the apology.
Everyone messes up, it's how you deal with your mess ups which determines your character and trustworthiness in my book.
Being hit by the same sniper repeatedly shifts the responsibility from them to you eventually.

PostPosted: 02/16/09 9:18 am • # 6 
Editorialist

I don't want to spend the energy on carrying a grudge- that gives the offernder too much power over my time. Let it go, but increase caution when dealing with the offender in the future.

PostPosted: 02/16/09 10:48 am • # 7 
When I carry a grudge, it just means the person is out. I don't think about them or dwell on them at all, they don't exist. There are few people who have gained that honor and those that have deserve it and so much more. Some things cannot be easily gotten over, if you have experienced some of them, then you know what I am talking about, if you haven't, then you are quite lucky.

PostPosted: 02/16/09 1:50 pm • # 8 
My reaction is pretty much the same as mpicky in #6. I don't anger easily and am almost always fine with an apology and moving on however, there are limits.

PostPosted: 02/17/09 2:58 am • # 9 
Life is short, death is long. Act accordingly.

And don't hold grudges.

PostPosted: 02/17/09 7:41 am • # 10 
Administrator

Like others, for me it depends on the specific relationship and whether or not it is repeated behavior ~ while Fluffy's words are likely the most beneficial, my own reaction comes closest to FeatheredFish's ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 02/18/09 3:27 am • # 11 
BadFluffyDais wrote:
Life is short, death is long. Act accordingly.

And don't hold grudges.

That sounds all nice and cuddly, but some things are impossible to get over. Lets say the person responsible for the death of your child, that one is pretty hard to forgive and forget. You may learn one day to not the hate person responsible, but you will never forgive them OR give them further chances to create havoc on your life. Like I said, if you have had major wrongs done to you and those you love, you will understand, if not, I am genuinely happy for you.

PostPosted: 02/21/09 2:49 pm • # 12 
It depends on whether the person is really sorry or just saying it to get themselves off the hook, and if it's the first time they've done the wrong or if they've repeated it more than once. I'm a big fan of second chances, because everyone screws up sometimes, but I almost never give third chances if you didn't learn from your mistakes the first time.

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply