It is currently 05/04/24 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ]
PostPosted: 02/21/09 2:08 am • # 1 
Do we need to strap some folks onto a rocket and send them to Mars?

PostPosted: 02/21/09 2:18 am • # 2 
I would suggest that instead of strapping people to a rocket we place them inside a spacecraft on top of a rocket, and then send them to Mars.

However, if the only option is to strap them to the rocket, I would suggest we start with Al Franken, Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly, Keith Olbermann and Bob Costas and use them as the test monkeys. Maybe include Ross Perot so if they survive the trip and find aliens, the aliens will feel they have a kindred soul among the crew so they aren't devoured before they can report their successful landing to NASA.

PostPosted: 02/21/09 3:58 am • # 3 
Editorialist

Geez, Gop- they'll need to breed, at least include Coulter.

PostPosted: 02/21/09 4:14 am • # 4 
Chaos, that's why Bob Costas and Keith Olbermann were included. Image

PostPosted: 02/21/09 4:27 am • # 5 
Administrator

Not arguing the majority of gop's answer ~ but Bob Costas? ~ munchkin Bob Costas? ~ Image

Chaos, given the questions/opinions swirling around Coulter's "gender", that may not work out quite the way you're suggesting OR envisioning ~ Image

Back to NC's "VoC Question of the Day", my answer is a big YES ~ anyone who intentionally abuses or harms or endangers another, especially children ~ anyone who knowingly and intentionally lies or cheats just to "win" ~ anyone who knowingly and intentionally sets others up to fail only to stroke his/her own ego ~ a few posters [in OTHER groups] jump to mind ~ well ... maybe those posters should just be confined to spending all of eternity together ~ I am sure I'll think of more ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 02/21/09 4:43 am • # 6 
Not arguing the majority of gop's answer ~ but Bob Costas? ~ munchkin Bob Costas?

Yes, Bob Costas, because he waxes poetic as he wears Mickey Mantle's underwear on his head.....

PostPosted: 02/21/09 4:44 am • # 7 
If there's any extra room on the rocket, we could include Billy Crystal, for the same reasons Bob Costas is going along....

PostPosted: 02/21/09 5:05 am • # 8 
Editorialist

Gee, and I thought this was a question about space exploration.

Sounds like some want to return to the days of Stalin's USSR.

PostPosted: 02/21/09 5:35 am • # 9 
Don't get me wrong, John. I'm a huge advocate for space exploration and for sending humans to Mars to conduct exploration there. When I was a kid, watching the first steps on the moon, it never occurred to me that we wouldn't have already accomplished a manned landing on Mars when I was in my 40's.

But I wouldn't mind using the afore-mentioned people as the test pilots for the initial attempt so that if something went wrong along the way we wouldn't lose some valuable people who have the ability to make a real contribution to society.

PostPosted: 02/21/09 6:22 am • # 10 
Editorialist

Don't get me wrong, John. I'm a huge advocate for space exploration and for sending humans to Mars to conduct exploration there. When I was a kid, watching the first steps on the moon, it never occurred to me that we wouldn't have already accomplished a manned landing on Mars when I was in my 40's.

It's disappointing that we haven't taken exploration beyond the moon, but at least some of that is due to technology. We need better ways to travel through space than we had 40 years ago. As I understand it, there are several ideas being considered, but I'm not sure if anything is actually in the works.

But I wouldn't mind using the afore-mentioned people as the test pilots for the initial attempt so that if something went wrong along the way we wouldn't lose some valuable people who have the ability to make a real contribution to society.

On the other hand, if all went well they would return as heroes. I don't think I could tolerate Limbaugh as the next John Glenn.

PostPosted: 02/21/09 6:56 am • # 11 
Think of it as a one way flight.

PostPosted: 02/21/09 8:00 am • # 12 
Actually, we could put them on a generation ship, send them off to find other worlds to colonize, preferably far, far away. Of course, then we would probably get a citation from the intergalactic authority for dumping toxic waste...

PostPosted: 02/21/09 2:58 pm • # 13 
gopqed wrote:
I would suggest that instead of strapping people to a rocket we place them inside a spacecraft on top of a rocket, and then send them to Mars.

However, if the only option is to strap them to the rocket, I would suggest we start with Al Franken, Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly, Keith Olbermann and Bob Costas and use them as the test monkeys. Maybe include Ross Perot so if they survive the trip and find aliens, the aliens will feel they have a kindred soul among the crew so they aren't devoured before they can report their successful landing to NASA.

Can we add Al Sharpton to that list? He gets on my nerves often too, especially this past week, and I'd love it if the last media coverage I saw of him was blasting him off to Mars, especially if he had to survive there with folks like O'Reilly. [img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/happy.gif[/img]

PostPosted: 02/21/09 11:56 pm • # 14 
Well, boy howdy. If we send all of the above folks to Mars, it is only a matter of time until we have interplanetary warfare with the Martians. How would you like them to send us their less-than-desirables?

I think our economy could stand a hiatus from space exploration for a while. Say we do send some to Mars. They get there, and.......so what?

PostPosted: 02/22/09 2:34 am • # 15 
Administrator

They get there, and.......so what?

Think of it as reducing pollution.

PostPosted: 02/22/09 7:22 am • # 16 
NewCentury wrote:
I think our economy could stand a hiatus from space exploration for a while. Say we do send some to Mars. They get there, and.......so what?

Well, just like government funding, we just have to make sure the rocket gets started on its way, and leave it to another administration to figure out how to get the rest of the trip completed. [img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/eyes.gif[/img] [img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/devil.gif[/img]

PostPosted: 02/22/09 7:57 am • # 17 
That crew would be useless as an exploration team. Who would trust the reports they'd send back?
I'm not arguing against sending them though. Just that we put their communications on our spam filter list.

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ] New Topic Add Reply