It is currently 06/28/24 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
 Post subject: ouch
PostPosted: 09/06/11 1:51 am • # 1 
Editorialist

Every year, we have giant European hornets that come and chew on our lilac bush. So, on Saturday we were mowing the backyard. I'm on the riding mower- ducking as I go past that bush- hubby had the push mower for the nooks and crannies the riding mower can't get. 

I warned him. lol Told him to just skip mowing around the base of that bush since they were already riled up from me riding by. I stopped for a drink and there he goes, right up against the base of the bush...and I'm saying to myself  "Don't do it!!" and sure enough, one of those suckers shot out and nailed him right in the side of his calf. Within 10 minutes, the welt was 2" across.

By the next morning, his entire calf/ankle/foot was swelled up, and everywhere it spread it burned like a fresh sting, according to him. His foot was still twice normal size when he went back to work this morning. Image  

PostPosted: 09/06/11 3:27 am • # 2 
Editorialist

Double ouch!! I wonder if that is the species my daughter has in her yard. They build their nests by digging into the dirt. Those suckers are gigantic!

Benadryl might help. "Remember the "dryl".

PostPosted: 09/06/11 5:11 am • # 3 
Gawdam Europeens! Go poke people in yer own gawddam yard. Geez... I tell ya - ya can't teech a furriner nuttin' these days.

PostPosted: 09/06/11 7:03 am • # 4 
Editorialist

LOL-great minds think alike-we did Benadryl. And iced/elevated it. And hydrocortisone cream.  I don't know where their nest is, I just know they find our lilac yummy. And I think they've been scaring off ( hunting?) the regular wasps, because we usually have many, many more nests of those around. I hope they don't go after our little hummingbird!

We looked up lots of hornets, Sid. Glad it wasn't those Japanese hornets, they've killed people.Image

PostPosted: 09/06/11 8:36 am • # 5 
Personally, I think you should consider getting pest control to look into it. Perhaps costly but it could be worse if you do nothing.

PostPosted: 09/06/11 12:53 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

Eh...they'll be gone once it gets chilly. I doubt there's much a pro can do anyway since their nest is elsewhere. (I may try spraying the bush with some evil pesticide, but I did that last year and it didn't seem to deter them.)  

PostPosted: 09/06/11 1:19 pm • # 7 
You have to track down where they're coming from first. Full frontal assault...

PostPosted: 09/06/11 3:31 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

They seem to go up and over our house and the house next door, then we lose sight of them. They're fast, too!

PostPosted: 09/07/11 12:24 am • # 9 
To my mind that would be a public health issue and the home nest should be found. A hornet sting isn't the same from one person to the next. Where someone might just get an irritating bump, others can go into anaphylaxic shock. Instead of trying to handle it yourself, you might want to consider getting public officials involved.

PostPosted: 09/07/11 12:40 am • # 10 
Editorialist

Foot is still swollen, but the ankle is a bit better today. In our reading we saw that once stung, the chances of shock actually go up if there's a second sting. So the grass will just have to stay shaggy over by the lilac bush for now.

Sid-I don't know of any public servant I could call to say "There's a hornet nest somewhere, deal with it please." LOL!    

PostPosted: 09/07/11 1:09 am • # 11 
If you have a public health department, they would have numbers you can call for help. Make no mistake though - this is a serious problem and not just for you, but your neighbors as well. You might want to have a discussion with some of them to see if you can locate the nest (or nests). There are some very effective sprays you can get to kill the nest... (that's important - hornets have been known to return to the nest site and rebuild if you don't get them all). I once had a hornet nest in between the exterior and interior wall finishes. I drilled a small hole and sprayed the nest - poison went in and hornets flew out about 2 or 3 feet and died. Never had a problem afterwards.

PostPosted: 09/07/11 1:30 am • # 12 
Editorialist

We had a swarm of bees in our wall back in our last house. That was a fun day! We knew exactly where they were, and I still had to pay a beekeeper to come all the way from PA to deal with them-regular pest control folks wouldn't touch it. He cut a big hole in the wall and pulled out all kinds of nests, seems it was a favorite spot for many years.

There really is no such thing as public help for a hornet issue, Sid. They'll spray for mosquitoes or gypsy moths over wide areas, but that's about it. Maybe if they were near a park or school or something, but certainly not for us.  I've talked to the neighbors behind us, they have no clue. The other neighbors...wellll....let's just say I wouldn't piss on 'em if they were on fire.Image 

PostPosted: 09/07/11 6:47 am • # 13 
"I wouldn't piss on 'em if they were on fire."

OH...

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply