It is currently 09/28/24 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
PostPosted: 09/10/11 1:45 am • # 1 
Editorialist

Aurora Borealis! OMG! As I went out for my final smoke last night, I was enjoying the crystal clear sky and the stars, as only a fall night sky can look. Then I saw something wispy in the sky. I wondered if it was smoke or something. Then it grew larger, brighter and started to undulate. Beautiful! Wonderful!

I can't imagine how it looked to people on the outskirts of the city, away from the lights. We only saw the upper edge, above the building across from us, and the lights in our courtyard interfered, but it was still spectacular. A green light show that looked to be controlled by someone or something as it flowed and ebbed, creating many interesting patterns.

With our trip, then this, it's a perfect ending to the summer. A wonderful adventure, the love of grandchildren, and a natural phenomenon. Image

PostPosted: 09/10/11 2:59 am • # 2 
Nice eh?

PostPosted: 09/10/11 3:12 am • # 3 
Editorialist

I am still riding high on it, Sid. I've had this huge smile on my face from the moment I woke up. It's almost surreal. I can't imagine how I'd feel to see a nebula up close, or an entire galaxy in space. 

PostPosted: 09/10/11 3:12 am • # 4 
Editorialist

I don't mind telling you that I'm completely jealous, roseanne!!! 

PostPosted: 09/10/11 3:14 am • # 5 
Editorialist

Chaos333 wrote:
I don't mind telling you that I'm completely jealous, roseanne!!! 
If I could have conjured you all to be by my side during this, I would have. Image It's something made better by being shared. The beauty of it and ethereal joy it inspires can't be described. 

PostPosted: 09/10/11 4:07 am • # 6 
Administrator

I share Chaos' jealousy, but don't begrudge you the experience, roseanne ~ I'd love to see that ~

A similar but different [Image] personal experience with natural phenomena ~ in I think 2000 [but it might have been 1999], I was on a Caribbean cruise ~ the captain changed the ship itinerary to get us in a better position to view a total solar eclipse ~ we anchored somewhere off the coast of Montserrat ~ the eclipse, which takes hours to set up and is over in minutes, was amazing to watch ~ we went from bright sunshine to total, inky darkness during the early afternoon ~ but our experience wasn't over ~ as the moon moved beyond the face of the sun and daylight returned, someone on deck yelled 'look at Montserrat' ~ and we were treated to the unreal sight of the Montserrat volcano erupting ~ 3,000+ people on deck were in total silence ~ it was one of those 'once-in-a-lifetime' experiences for me ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 09/10/11 4:49 am • # 7 
Editorialist

Cool sooz, especially with the eruption! I saw an almost total eclipse years ago. Not total darkness, but an eerie quasi-darkness. Really cool.

I can see how the ancient people blamed their "gods" and feared such occurrences. Thank goodness we know better. You know, the punishment angle assigned to natural phenomenon....oh wait......ancients? ImageImage

PostPosted: 09/14/11 7:10 am • # 8 
Editorialist

Up in Cape Breton a few years ago I was camping out with my husband's family and his mother said she had never seen the Northern Lights. I was shocked, as his parents have traveled around the world twice and more. Just as I was describing how wonderful they are- voila! It was the most spectacular display I had seen yet, and lasted what seemed like an hour! Oh Canada!

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply