It is currently 06/28/24 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ]
 Post subject: Car shopping. Sigh.
PostPosted: 09/17/11 12:06 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

Ok, so we LOVED making our road trip and plan to make many more (as age and health allowImage), so we are car shopping well ahead of our anticipated purchase date sometime in Feb. if all works out.

I convinced hubby to just try a small SUV, a 2007 Hyundai Tuscon, since he had never driven one. He liked being up higher, which I knew he would. The extra space, especially in the front leg area was nice. The handling is much different than our Elantra, lol.

However, we saw an Impala that had already been sold, and did some research. Cripes, we can buy one of those that's 4 years newer for about the same price and it would have the factory warranty still. We didn't get to test drive one yet.

Hubby has done extensive research on several cars and the Impala (and the Tuscon) was on his "good" list as far as problems, recalls, reviews etc.

Any thoughts? Reviews? Criticisms?  Suggestions?  We want affordable, comfortable, dependable transportation for long trips. Image

PostPosted: 09/17/11 12:24 pm • # 2 
I had a 67 Impala... that's probably of no help to you at all - I just had to say it.

PostPosted: 09/17/11 12:42 pm • # 3 
Administrator

roseanne, I too am looking to buy a new car, hopefully by spring ~ I have become a big Hyundai fan ~ I'm driving a 2001 Hyundai Sonata and it has been the best car I've ever owned in terms of virtually NO car problems or expenses [other than oil changes and gas] until my recent tire replacement saga ~ I will replace it with another Sonata ~ I'm pretty sure the Hyundai 10 year/100,000 mile warranty is on ALL models and I know that warranty is transferable ~ FTR, the new Elantra is significantly larger [as is the new Sonata] ~ and significantly less than a new Impala ~

I know several people who have Chevys [a couple of years old, not brand new] and each of them has had a variety of car problems ~ but I understand that Chevy [and, for that matter, Ford too] have greatly improved their quality ~ the MSN auto site [
http://home.autos.msn.com/ ] includes ratings by owners as well as car professionals ~ you can also compare cars there ~ that would be a good place to check out ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 09/17/11 1:22 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

sooz08 wrote:
roseanne, I too am looking to buy a new car, hopefully by spring ~ I have become a big Hyundai fan ~ I'm driving a 2001 Hyundai Sonata and it has been the best car I've ever owned in terms of virtually NO car problems or expenses [other than oil changes and gas] until my recent tire replacement saga ~ I will replace it with another Sonata ~ I'm pretty sure the Hyundai 10 year/100,000 mile warranty is on ALL models and I know that warranty is transferable ~ FTR, the new Elantra is significantly larger [as is the new Sonata] ~ and significantly less than a new Impala ~

I know several people who have Chevys [a couple of years old, not brand new] and each of them has had a variety of car problems ~ but I understand that Chevy [and, for that matter, Ford too] have greatly improved their quality ~ the MSN auto site [
http://home.autos.msn.com/ ] includes ratings by owners as well as car professionals ~ you can also compare cars there ~ that would be a good place to check out ~

Sooz
Yeah, we do love Hyundai products. It's the cost vs age that has us stumped. If we can get a newer, dependable "American" model for less, I'm all for that! We have also considered the Sonata, but we can't afford brand new unless some very attractive financing deals come down the pike.  I love the msn site and it's one of those that hubby uses for research. After all his research, I do more, lol. He says I'm better at it. I go to other, less known communities, that have mechanics and owners as members. Very enlightening. Image  btw, we will not lease. Too much pressure to keep the car pristine.Image

PostPosted: 09/17/11 1:25 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

Sidartha wrote:
I had a 67 Impala... that's probably of no help to you at all - I just had to say it.
LOL Sid! I had a gold 68 Impala convertible. Thing leaked like a sieve around the windshield. I had to keep a towel handy for when it rained......and it rains a LOT in Alabama. Image 

PostPosted: 09/17/11 1:32 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

sooz, I did a search about the best time to buy a car. Winter, after the new models come out, on Fridays at the end of a month, an hour before closing. LOL. The last bit is just about psychology. End of month crunch for quotas, Fridays late because they all just want to get the hell out of there. ha ha ha ha, it makes sense. Do a search because there are all kinds of little tips about how to get the best deal, from dealing directly online because the internet department is not bound by the "let me talk to the manager" song and dance and have more leeway, to going directly to the  on-site internet department at a large dealership, bypassing the salesmen for the same reason.  Image  One big thing. Never, ever tell them your payment limit or total price limit. That blows any change of haggling.

PostPosted: 09/17/11 2:54 pm • # 7 
Administrator

Good tips ~ thanks, roseanne ~ but I have a secret weapon ~ I'll take my former significant other, Michael, with me ~ he's 6'3" and @250 lbs ~ nobody messes with anyone looking like an NFL linebacker ~ Image

Sooz

PostPosted: 09/18/11 12:53 am • # 8 
We've all heard the jokes:

Ford = "Found on road dead" - or - "Fix or repair daily"

Fiat = "Fix it again Tony"

Pontiac = "Poor old nut thinks its a Cadillac"

But did you know there's one for Chevrolet?

C Cracked
H Heads
E Every
V Valve
R Rattles
O Oil
L Leaks
E Every
T Time

PostPosted: 09/18/11 4:56 am • # 9 
Editorialist

I thought the one for Chevy was "Body by Fischer.  Motor by mistake."

PostPosted: 09/18/11 5:26 am • # 10 
Editorialist

sooz, oddly enough the Hyundai new car warranty for Canada is 5 yrs and 100,000 km. (62,000 miles approx)What a rip off! Image I thought that Hyundai was Hyundai was Hyundai. 

PostPosted: 09/18/11 10:50 am • # 11 
Unless its Hyundai Lite of Canada Ltd.

PostPosted: 10/13/11 1:27 am • # 12 
Editorialist

So, we bought a car. Much earlier than planned, lol. Figures. Hubby starts his search and research, we go try a few to see which we like and found a pretty sweet deal. 2006 Fusion with 66,000km (40,000) mile on it! A five speed, whooohooo! Don't find many mid sized sedans that are stick shift. It's what we wanted. We bought it from the dealer in a small town  who knows the original owner. They've sold her 3 fusions. They even had all the maintenance records. Nice. We bought an after market warranty that has a $50 deductible if we take it to that dealer.

LOL @ me trying it out. It's been a lot of years since I drove a standard, but it's like riding a bike. The clutch was much tighter than my old Corolla, so it took me a few tries to shift smoothly. It's a 4cylinder, but being a stick shift, it has a lot of pep. Varroooom!

For me the best feature of all is the power drivers seat. Now I can see over the steering wheel and hood without a cushion. Image

PostPosted: 10/13/11 2:28 am • # 13 
Editorialist

Road trip, roseanne's driving!!!!!! Image

Glad you found something you like, and yes-being able to see is always a good sign. Image

PostPosted: 10/13/11 2:43 am • # 14 
Editorialist

Chaos333 wrote:
Road trip, roseanne's driving!!!!!! Image

Glad you found something you like, and yes-being able to see is always a good sign. Image
Florida, here we come!!!!ImageImage

I forgot to say that, well, it's not the color I wanted. I said at the beginning that I would NOT buy another burgandy car, lol. We've bought 3 and all have been burgandy. Well.............this one is officially "Merlot". That's my story and I"m sticking to it. ROFL, at least it will be easier to find in a parking lot for the first while. I only have to look for the familiar color. (if I remember where I parked Image)

We'll probably fight over whose driving with the 5 speed. Usually I don't care.  

PostPosted: 10/13/11 3:45 am • # 15 
I love driving stick. In fact, I've only had one automatic.

PostPosted: 10/13/11 3:47 am • # 16 
Editorialist

Merlot and burgandy are completely different!

Image Does that help?

PostPosted: 10/13/11 3:49 am • # 17 
I'd need to see some colour chips to make sure.

PostPosted: 10/13/11 4:14 am • # 18 
Editorialist

LOL, funnily enough, hubby had found an even sweeter deal. A fusion, but it was Purple. I mean pastel to medium Barney purple.Image When I reminded him that it wasn't a factory color, he realized that's not a good thing. lol 

PostPosted: 10/13/11 4:58 am • # 19 
What's with purple cars these days? I see them and I think "Welch's" grape juice.

Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ] New Topic Add Reply