Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ]
PostPosted: 10/04/11 3:16 am • # 1 
Editorialist

How would you answer this question?

A specialized form of scissors.

a) hatchet     b) nail clipper     c) paper cutter    d) tweezers

PostPosted: 10/04/11 4:12 am • # 2 
Editorialist

None of the above?  lol  maybe nail clipper?

PostPosted: 10/04/11 4:36 am • # 3 
I'd be more inclined to say paper cutter. It works like scissors except one blade is in a fixed position and the moving blade shears the paper. The blades on a nail clipper use compression to cut as they meet edge to edge, so they aren't shearing like scissor blades do.

PostPosted: 10/04/11 4:43 am • # 4 
Administrator

But a paper cutter uses compression as well, Sid ~ Image

I'm with roseanne on this ~ full disclosure: I really hate these 'smarter than a child' questions ... because my answer is usually wrong ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 10/04/11 5:38 am • # 5 
No... it shears... the blade is offset from the platform that the paper sits on, just like the blades on a pair of scissors.

PostPosted: 10/04/11 5:43 am • # 6 
Editorialist

I talked to the kid. Hubby talked to the kid. She changed her answer. It got marked wrong.  

Your answers will be used as evidence when we bring it up at back to school night. Image LMAO 

PostPosted: 10/04/11 5:47 am • # 7 
Editorialist

We even made her look this up.

a cutting instrument having two blades whose cutting edges slide past each other

PostPosted: 10/05/11 12:29 am • # 8 
Editorialist

"Correct" answer: nail clippers.

Sid, I swear, you were nearly word-for-word hitting the points we made. The teacher claims that "nail clippers" are "not the same as toenail clippers". I've never seen manicure scissors called nail clippers.

Okay, next:

Is the word "opera" always capitalized? 

PostPosted: 10/05/11 1:06 am • # 9 
Administrator

WOOOHOOO! ~ nice way to start the day since I'm sooooo rarely correct on these questions ~ Image

No, 'opera' is not always capitalized ~ only when it's part of a proper name ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 10/05/11 1:08 am • # 10 
Editorialist

I picked nail clippers because I was thinking about toenail clippers lmao. They have two blades that move and cut like scissors. My reasoning was wrong, but my answer was right. Image

No, opera is not always capitalized. My final answer. Image

PostPosted: 10/05/11 1:50 am • # 11 
Editorialist

I'm with Sid. Scissor blades have a pivot point and slide past each other, as does a paper cutter.  Nail-or toenail-clipper blades have no pivot point and meet directly. The mechanics are different. That's why they're called clippers and not scissors. The book is wrong. LOL

Sooz, I'm with you on the opera thing. Teacher says opera singers should be Opera singers-no proper name in sight. Image 

PostPosted: 10/05/11 2:40 am • # 12 
Editorialist

I guess the teacher and/or the lesson plan is smater than MW, eh? It shows NO capitalization of opera in any form.

"Is our children learning?"  Image  No they isn't. At least not properly.

PostPosted: 10/05/11 3:12 am • # 13 
Editorialist

This stuff just cracks me up. We should keep this thread running for all kid homework WTF's? Image

I don't challenge every strange thing I see, and I see plenty. I tell kiddo that sometimes it's just not worth it, render unto Caesar and all that. But like I've said before  (sorry, here I go again) we spend just as much time checking the work of the teachers as we do the work our kid turns in. I don't know how many parents actually do, maybe it's just me because I have too much time on my hands. And it's not that I think her teachers are all bums or anything, but they do have big classes and things get hurried and sometimes there are just honest mistakes. They say they want parents involved......they want us to communicate with teachers...so I must oblige. 

I'll insist that answer was paper cutter 'till the bitter end. LOL 

PostPosted: 10/05/11 4:17 am • # 14 
I know how you can make the point. Have the teacher cut a piece of paper with scissors, then a paper cutter and then finally, nail clippers.

PostPosted: 10/05/11 4:35 am • # 15 
Editorialist

This is going to be a very interesting parent-teacher conference. I'd already sort of planned to go buy "nail clippers" and leave them in the package to prove what a "nail clipper" is, but I can add the paper example, too. Just have to hit the right tone and smile so I don't seem like a nut job. May be too late for that, though. lol Image   

PostPosted: 10/06/11 1:59 am • # 16 
Editorialist

Okay, the opera thing is figured out. This was part of a "Daily Edit" that they do. Original sentence, as presented:

Mr. tuzi my music teacher said, "opera singers are my heros"!

Kiddo thought "Mr. Tuzi" was the name of the person the teacher was speaking to, so she edited it as "Mr. Tuzi," my music teacher said, "opera singers are my heroes!" 

It came home marked ( in red) as "Mr Tuzi," my music teacher, said, "Opera singers are my heroes!"

Her teacher wrote me back and said that "opera" was the first word in the sentence spoken. But the first set of quotation marks weren't marked wrong. lol No wonder we were confused! I wrote her back today and explained that the sentence can really go either way. (Right?)

I told kiddo to talk to her and explain why she answered the way she did. Let's see what the teacher does.  

PostPosted: 10/06/11 3:16 am • # 17 
Editorialist

Chaos:  You are right about the commas.   They could go either way.  I think, in this case, the teacher is right about capitalizing the "O" in "Opera".  The quote is really a sentence within a sentence and should start with a capital.  It seems to me, though, that there should be a period after the second quotation mark since that is where the sentence, as a whole, ends.  The exclamation mark applies only to the quote from Mr. Tuzi. 

BTW:  "heros" is wrongly spelled.  It is supposed to be "heroes".  That's in American as well as real English.

PostPosted: 10/06/11 3:18 am • # 18 
The original sentence as presented is so full of grammatical errors as to be completely useless. Is this teacher a politician in his/her night job?

PostPosted: 10/06/11 3:32 am • # 19 
Editorialist

And Jim comes up with a third variation! LOL! ( Kiddo did correct that spelling, btw.)

Sid, most of these sentences to proofread/edit have been fairly straightforward. But this one is a doozy. 

Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ] New Topic Add Reply