It is currently 06/28/24 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
PostPosted: 11/01/11 1:41 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

Just chatting with hubby about all the Middle School Drama that's been going on with the kiddo. It's really kicked into high gear lately. lol 

I hated middle school. Hubby hated middle school. We can't think of anyone we know who has said they had a great time.

What say you? Image

PostPosted: 11/01/11 2:17 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

I didn't go to middle school as there was no such thing then. It was Elementary (1-8 with no kindergarten) and High School (9-12). 

I honestly think that being around the younger ones during those turbulent adolescent years helped a lot. Sort of kept us on our toes and/or grounded and reminded us of what we once were, not that long ago.It kept us from having to deal with or trying to emulate "almost adults".  Many of the upperclassmen were recruited to help the younger ones with school work, supervising their lunch hour or on the playground during our free period. So very many were younger siblings too, so it was sort of a built in snitch system, lol.

PostPosted: 11/01/11 2:32 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

It's been interesting to watch this group of kids. Sure, there's a handful that I knew would be a handful back in kindergarten. But generally, they all got along most days. Now, the battle lines are being drawn...boys vs. girls...cliques...jocks vs. nerds...the haves vs the have nots...it's like a bad After-School Special movie script. Image  

PostPosted: 11/01/11 3:09 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

I work in a k to 8 school, and I agree with Rosanne.  I think contact with the younger students helps make these pre adolescents more a part of the citizenry, and gives them responsible opportunities.  I've seen the roughest 12 year olds melt like butter when working with six year olds.

I'm sorry your child is suffering Chaos.  My memory of middle school wasn't pleasant personally.  Girls that age can be so cruel, and i imagine boys aren't much better. 

PostPosted: 11/02/11 1:55 am • # 5 
Editorialist

Aw, thanks GAT...she's not suffering at the moment, but she sure is irritated and a little confused with some of the crappola that goes on. LOL! 

A few weeks ago, she was telling me about how some of the boys are suddenly "acting all goofy", and I said it was just the "pigtails in the ink well" bit boys do when they don't know what to do to get the attention of a girl. Then I had to explain what an ink well was...Image

PostPosted: 11/02/11 3:27 am • # 6 
Administrator

I don't remember any real problems 100 years ago when I was in what is now called 'middle school' ~ I do remember having crushes and being giggly ~ and I also remember my parents rolling their eyes frequently ~ Image

Our school is pre-k thru 8th ~ the older kidlets do mentor the younger kidlets ~ all of the kidlets seem to take the mentoring seriously ~ most of my kidlets this year are 5th/6th/7th graders and I bet I can zero in on the behavior that annoys your daughter, Chaos ~ bodies are changing, hormones are kicking in ~ it can be 'challenging' ~ and I now understand my own parents' eye-rolling!

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/02/11 5:40 am • # 7 
Editorialist

Y'all are scaring me. I remember not being happy, not feeling very pretty, lots of friend drama in junior high, grade 7-9, which was what we had in the stone ages in New England. My girl has avoided much of it by going to a very small age mixed school (which presents a very different set of challenges). But she is a little behind her friends in physical development, and she will be one of the youngest in her grade when she tries real school next year. Some of her friends in middle school are liking boys, experiencing friend drama, and driving their parents crazy with the mood swings. But the kids she really hangs with are in her sports and they are a little less dramatic because all their time is taken up in practice. Just waiting for the other shoe to drop...

Soon I'll be starring in my own afterschool special- "My Mom is an Ancient, Nerdy, Dictator!"

PostPosted: 11/02/11 1:21 pm • # 8 
Try being 5'7" (and female) going into Middle School.  In my day it was junior high (7th-9th) and I remember being taller than all the boys. 

We were in sections and team teaching and yada yada.   I'm sure I may have been bothered by some of the drama THEN, but all in all it was alright and just part of the growing up process.

Jason had awful "Growing Pains" in junior high.  I forget what it's called, but his knees hurt terribly.  He was cute, all the girls liked him, and he was scared of them.  Not a whole lot has changed in that aspect.    

Last edited by kathyk1024 on 11/02/11 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 11/02/11 1:25 pm • # 9 
Did you *enjoy* Middle School?

No.

Even at that early age, I sought friends outside of my school.

PostPosted: 11/03/11 5:17 am • # 10 
Editorialist

Osgood -schlatters? I was tall too Kath, but I grew in awkward spurts during jr' high and it didn't work itself out until I was 15. I still remember a girl punching me in the breast to prove it was not real- but it was- and my dad calling me fat. Perhaps that's how I developed my habit of spending all my money on fashionable clothes in high school.

PostPosted: 11/03/11 7:19 am • # 11 
It was Osgood-Schlatters.  

I was 5'10" by high school.  I was skinny and flat-chested.  Think 32 A.  Clothes did hang well.   Wish they would now.    

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ] New Topic Add Reply