All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
PostPosted: 03/23/09 2:51 pm • # 1 
Administrator

Do you buy and read a daily newspaper?

Sooz

PostPosted: 03/23/09 3:09 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

I have Wisconsin State J0urmal delivered each morning. Some dayhs I buy a Wall St. Journal...like today.

PostPosted: 03/23/09 3:54 pm • # 3 
No, no daily newspapers for me. I read news online. Usually, I just use Google News to find the top stories of the day (you can personalize it to get local news too), and then visit sites like this and see what people are discussing to fill in any gaps in stories I might have missed.

When I owned my first house, I had a newspaper subscription for the first year, figuring it was a good way to get familiar with the local events, politics, etc., but when my subscription ran out, I decided not to renew it...I didn't know what to do with all those newspapers after I got them, and it seems like such a horrible waste of paper, even to recycle it.

PostPosted: 03/23/09 8:54 pm • # 4 
Sooz: I used to read the Chicago Tribune every day when I was down your way. Now I rely on Google News, the BBC, Channel 4 and the occasional Independent. Image

PostPosted: 03/23/09 10:46 pm • # 5 
Oh, another factor in my decision not to subscribe to newspapers is that for the national and international news, all the stories in the papers are pretty much verbatim from the AP and Reuters stories available online. The papers don't even bother adding their own details to them anymore. So, the only thing not available that way is the local news, and for the most part, there's nothing really interesting going on locally that I can't find out by other means. And, back when I lived in Cincinnati, the only thing in the paper not available online or through some other means were the editorials; I decided I was less irritable if I didn't start my day with a reminder of people's stupidity and ignorance, because the people writing to the paper in that city really did demonstrate an awful lot of ignorance.

PostPosted: 03/23/09 11:44 pm • # 6 
Before the internet I bought and read 2 or 3 per day. Now, I get to scan as many as I want without buying any.

PostPosted: 03/24/09 4:29 am • # 7 
Administrator

I don't buy a daily newspaper any more but I do scan several online versions ~ I do sometimes buy a Sunday paper, usually the Chicago Tribune but sometimes the New York Times ~ AQ, the Chicago Trib has a very decent online version at www.chicagotribune.com that is updated at least hourly ~

For you real news junkies, check out the link to Newseum in our Links and Resources board ~ Newseum offers an interactive map that enables you to click on a country or city virtually anywhere in the world and get the local newspaper for there ~ I have the site bookmarked because it's really terrific ~

Sooz

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply