It is currently 06/28/24 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
PostPosted: 02/02/12 2:21 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

So, kiddo has a teacher who has decided that they all need to work on their writing. I agree with that.

However, she's decided to add 4 essays a week to their homework load, which is already too much to handle. And on top of that, she's only going go GRADE one out of the four each week. So three essays a week will be nothing but wasted time and effort. But gee...they got to sit and watch "The Mummy" the other day. There's[/i] a good use of classroom time. Image

I say, if you assign too much to grade, you've assigned too much. WTH is the point if they get no feedback of any kind on three of the essays? So, report cards are coming home soon, and there's usually a place to sign up for a conference. Which I will do. I say, if you want four, you grade four. If you're only going to grade one, we'll do one. And she needs to make time for it during class, there's only so many hours kiddo can work at home, and since the start of the year it's been allllllll night every night with homework, right up until bedtime. Plus working on things over the weekend to try and get ahead. Enough! 

PostPosted: 02/03/12 1:57 am • # 2 
Geez... when I hear stuff like this I really have to wonder how I made it through school. I never did my homework - never did any long-term assignments - never studied for exams... but still managed the hi 80's - low 90's for my average.

PostPosted: 02/03/12 4:26 am • # 3 
Editorialist

I went to the same school...and there wasn't this much work sent home in 6th grade. 

I've been sounding the alarm about the way they teach writing since kindergarten. Everything by euphemism-"seeds and watermelons", "sandwich writing", "flower petals", "turkey feathers"...but the kids have no idea what an outline or rough draft is, those terms are never used. They were taught to re-state the opening sentence of any paragraph as the closing to any paragraph-what I call the "rain man effect". (  Johnny went to the store. He went to the store to get milk. This is why Johnny went to the store.) 
They've been taught that they can *always* go back to correct/change things so the kids all have very sloppy writing habits. Well, now that writing is a part of the state testing and they can't go back to correct, there's sudden panic. Duh! 

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply