It is currently 09/28/24 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 36 posts ]
 Post subject: Okay, I need opinions
PostPosted: 02/14/12 3:07 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

As part of Black History Month, the school has decided to do a little social experiment. Supposedly they sent a note home last week about this, but I got no note. At least one other parent, who called *me* about this today got no note, either. So it wasn't a signed permission slip kind of thing. Now, I "get" what they're trying to do...BUT....

Each class is divided in half.."ketchup" and "mustard". Basically, the "ketchup"=African Americans during slavery, before civil rights, etc. Bathrooms, doors, water fountains all labeled with "Ketchup" or "Mustard". The kids are Ketchups for two days, then they switch. Okay.
The K's and M's are not supposed to mingle with each other. All day. Divided at lunch. At recess, they were divided and the K's got one ball to play with, all the others went to the M's. Okay.
In some classrooms, the K's weren't allowed to sit at desks, they had to sit on the floor, or their desks were turned to face the back wall, or they had to stand facing the wall. For the entire class. They were never called on. Hmmm. Maybe okay. But things took a strange turn...remember, these are 6th grade kids, 11, 12 years old.

Not only were the M's actually harassing the K's, they were doing so right in front of the teachers, and nothing was done to stop them. "You Smell!" "Get away from me!" and in one instance, one little K was actually called "Negro!".  On TOP of that, the TEACHERS were joining in...K kid raises his hand, is told-by the teacher- " I don't know why you have your hand up, you don't know anything!" One K had to use the restroom, raised her hand for a good 15 minutes, wasn't called on, and when the teacher walked by, she sort of grabbed the teacher by the pantleg to get her attention, got scolded..."Don't touch me you dirty Ketchup!" In science class, everyone got a packet of homework, due tomorrow-but not the Ketchup group, he gave them 3 packets to share, there are 12 kids. There wasn't enough time for the kids who didn't get one to even copy down all the questions.

Then...it was Valentines Day. In at least two classes, a parent had sent in cupcakes. For the class. The teachers gave *two* cupcakes to each "M"...the K kids got none. 

So, I get home and the phone rings, mom of a classmate of my dd's, her K kid has just come in the door in tears, doesn't want to go to school tomorrow. She knows I'm there at the school a lot, was hoping I knew what the heck was going on. I didn't, because I never got that letter either. Kiddo did have a red dress on today for v-day, and mentioned that she was "a ketchup", and I thought she was talking about the dress. lol

So my kid gets home, she's pissed and also in tears. Not only because of the way she was treated all day, but because she doesn't want to have to treat her friends that way two days from now. Said the teacher and another aide had talked to her after school, she told then how upset she was...and they laid a guilt trip on her..."How would you feel if you had to go through that every day? Imagine how *those* kids felt!" More or less told her she had no choice, and then told her she would be "getting even" when it was her turn to be Mustard! We know of one other little girl-a K- who was seen crying at her locker because she didn't want to go to her next class. And we know of one M, who just happens to be African American, who was in the bathroom in tears because of the way her friends were being treated * by the teachers*.

I say...HELL NO! In fact, our state has laws against "bullying, intimidation, or harassment" and I think several things that went on cross that line, big time. For 7 years, this district has had anti-bullying character education lessons, a zero tolerance policy for bullying, intimidation, harassment-all that goes out the window for this??  What the hell were they thinking? I can see high school kids-maybe-doing this, and understanding the reason behind it. But I think 6th grade is way too young, and things went way too far.

So I fired off a letter...and said that nobody in that school-student or teacher- had my permission to bully my kid all day, and that my kid would NOT be bullying other kids on command to prove some kind of point. I have no intention of putting her on the bus tomorrow, until I talk to someone. (Frankly, I think this whole thing violates the law.) 

So....what do you think?

PostPosted: 02/14/12 3:52 pm • # 2 
I say this crosses the line and people should not participate.  Blacks are not black and whites white just by the luck of the draw.  There is no time when things switch and blacks get to get even.  Just calling them ketchup and mustard, two different things, does not get the point across.  Blacks were/are discriminated against because of their color.  In the class they are simply calling them different names, not basing it on any real difference like hair color, eye color etc where kids could see how stupid it is to think things like shorter people are inferior or blacks are less intelligent.

Sorry, I say it's wrong to force kids to do this, to do what we try to teach them should never be done.  I also think the set up makes this "experiment" invalid and all it does is hurt people.  Also, at that age I think it could cause some big problems with some kids when they see their teachers treating kids like shit.

PostPosted: 02/14/12 4:18 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

WAY over the line, imo. Good grief, just who came up with this crap? 

PostPosted: 02/14/12 4:30 pm • # 4 
Administrator

Horrid ~ awful ~ terrible ~ absolutely, positively degrading for all the kidlets ~ totally inappropriate, including age-inappropriate ~ I'd be raising hell about this, Chaos ~ and jeanne raises serious questions about resulting problems ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 02/14/12 4:36 pm • # 5 
It's based on a famous social psychology experiment, the Stanford Prison experiment.  They had to end that early too.  I am wondering how it was done without a permission slip.  At Stanford half the students were playing the role of prisoners and half played the role of the guards.  The guards became abusive and the prisoners became depressed and sick.   

They should end this experiment at this time. 

PostPosted: 02/14/12 4:40 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

kathyk1024 wrote:
It's based on a famous social psychology experiment, the Stanford Prison experiment.  They had to end that early too.  I am wondering how it was done without a permission slip.  At Stanford half the students were playing the role of prisoners and half played the role of the guards.  The guards became abusive and the prisoners became depressed and sick.   

They should end this experiment at this time. 
Oh, I remember reading about that! There was something about this that tickled my memory. Thanks, kathy.

Go get 'em Chaos.

PostPosted: 02/14/12 4:51 pm • # 7 

So, it's not really about racism?  It's a power thing?  The people given the power have power over all sorts and are abusive to them.  I discriminate against you because you are black vs I abuse you because I can?  The Stanford prison experiment was about imprisonment.  This one in the class was supposedly about discrimination based on race. 

I know this in the class is very loosely based on an old experiment, but I can't remember which.  I don't think it is the Stanford experiment.

PostPosted: 02/14/12 5:05 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

Okay, I feel a little better about the letter I sent. It wasn't pretty. Will be raising some hell tomorrow!

What's next? Set 'em on fire for fire prevention week?

PostPosted: 02/15/12 3:21 am • # 9 
Editorialist

jeannept wrote:

So, it's not really about racism?  It's a power thing?  The people given the power have power over all sorts and are abusive to them.  I discriminate against you because you are black vs I abuse you because I can?  The Stanford prison experiment was about imprisonment.  This one in the class was supposedly about discrimination based on race. 

I know this in the class is very loosely based on an old experiment, but I can't remember which.  I don't think it is the Stanford experiment.

jeanne, it's power based on racism. The power to discriminate because someone is different, therefore inferior. There were many blacks who were abused after slavery was abolished. It was kept quiet, because they knew they didn't have much choice. Black maids, cooks,  and nannies couldn't just leave those positions to work at the local office or bank. It was a type of imprisonment without bars. Only after desegregation were blacks empowered to leave those places of abuse. So, I can see the similarities.

PostPosted: 02/15/12 4:26 am • # 10 
Editorialist

Okay, hubby wrote a rather -ahem- strongly worded opinion during the wee hours of the morning. Wanted to make sure every teacher and the principal got it, so I made that happen.

Went over this morning before school started. Nabbed the asst. principal outside, said we had a moral objection to this experiment and we wanted dd excused. He tried to give me the quick brush off "oh, okay"...I said "Nooooooo we're going to talk about this". So I got marched to the Principals office....lol....

He kept trying to "explain the objective" as if I didn't understand it. Kept saying that bullying and intimidation were not a part of it. I corrected him. Obviously the objective was *not* for the "minority group" to feel good about the way they were treated, it was specifically the opposite by design! I brought up the fact that bullying, harassment and intimidation were against the law and the school code of conduct, and that they-perhaps with the best of intentions-had violated that. 15 minutes later, I'd made it clear that dd was not going to participate in any more, but would of course do the required work. I was respectful, but I didn't back down. Then off I went...had a chat with the guidance counselor. Talked to her math & science teachers, gave them copies of hubby's letter. Was waiting in the hall for her social studies teacher, when the principal spotted me...and ( very slick!) suggested that I meet with her in his office "for privacy".Image

Sooooo...he found her. She said the "minority" kids were just supposed to feel "different". I corrected her, too. Not "different"....they were supposed to be upset, and angry, etc. etc. that WAS the objective! And that was accomplished by deliberately treating them like crap all day! She objected to the "crap" thing and I could tell they were sort of annoyed with me. I told them I understood the intention, but the execution went way too far, especially for kids this age. And that in reality, African Americans put up with a heck of a lot more than being denied a cupcake or being told to sit on the floor-so in an effort to tone it down and make it age-appropriate, what they actually did was minimize and trivialize the *actual* reality of what went on anyway.  Not to mention that this could not have the same shock value effect on the "K" kids today, because they already saw what went on yesterday.  I gave them credit for good intentions, said I could agree with the ends...but not the means. 

Soooo...today dd would have been Mustard. (Seems sometime between yesterday and today, it was changed to one day each because I did get a copy of the letter that went home, and IT says two days each.)  I said we would not allow her to participate in being forced to stand by while the other kids got their helping of humiliation, they said OK. So she's home today. Tomorrow all the kids are supposed to talk about how this made them feel and what they learned, that's fine, she can go back tomorrow. 

Much more was said, but that's the gist of it. They also said that they'd planned a meeting about how all this went, since it is the first time, and they would take my comments into consideration. Uh-huh. 

PostPosted: 02/15/12 4:48 am • # 11 
Administrator

Get on the phone today, Chaos ~ and follow-up with emails ~ "strongly encourage" the parents of dd's friends to call and register official complaints ~ and after you reach the parents of dd's friends, start in on other classmates' parents ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 02/15/12 5:22 am • # 12 
Editorialist

If other parents weren't compelled to complain, I'm not going to solicit them to do it. Just not my style. I will be happy Image to talk about how *I* handled this, and give 'em some food for thought, when I bump into them. There's a student-faculty basketball game coming up which would be a perfect chance.

School nurse called me about an hour ago because dd was marked absent, and I hadn't called in. So I got to bend her ear a little, too. She seemed kind of shocked when I told her what was going on.

PostPosted: 02/15/12 5:28 am • # 13 
roseanne wrote:
jeannept wrote:

jeanne, it's power based on racism. The power to discriminate because someone is different, therefore inferior. There were many blacks who were abused after slavery was abolished. It was kept quiet, because they knew they didn't have much choice. Black maids, cooks,  and nannies couldn't just leave those positions to work at the local office or bank. It was a type of imprisonment without bars. Only after desegregation were blacks empowered to leave those places of abuse. So, I can see the similarities.

I understand the similarities.  However, I don't agree that this was based on the Stanford experiment.  There was an experiment years ago where they separated people by brown eyes/blue eyes with one being the superior.  Just as with racism this was to show discrimination based on a simple physical characteristic.  This experiment is far closer to what the class intended. 

Many blacks are still being abused. 

The imprisonment thing is fascinating, but I don't think it applies to the school that chaos is talking about and what they are doing.

PostPosted: 02/15/12 5:31 am • # 14 
Chaos333 wrote:
If other parents weren't compelled to complain, I'm not going to solicit them to do it. Just not my style. I will be happy Image to talk about how *I* handled this, and give 'em some food for thought, when I bump into them. There's a student-faculty basketball game coming up which would be a perfect chance.

School nurse called me about an hour ago because dd was marked absent, and I hadn't called in. So I got to bend her ear a little, too. She seemed kind of shocked when I told her what was going on.

Seems to me the school nurse should have been one of the first notified because this could cause some serious stress for the kids and could even show up as physical illness.

PostPosted: 02/15/12 5:42 am • # 15 
Editorialist

jeannept wrote:
roseanne wrote:
jeannept wrote:

I understand the similarities.  However, I don't agree that this was based on the Stanford experiment.  There was an experiment years ago where they separated people by brown eyes/blue eyes with one being the superior.  Just as with racism this was to show discrimination based on a simple physical characteristic.  This experiment is far closer to what the class intended. 

Many blacks are still being abused. 

The imprisonment thing is fascinating, but I don't think it applies to the school that chaos is talking about and what they are doing.

Point taken. 

PostPosted: 02/15/12 9:17 am • # 16 
Editorialist

One other amusing thing...I must have asked at least 6 times "WHO came up with this idea?" and they just kept sidestepping with "The 6th grade teacherS", as if they all just magically woke up one day with the same idea in their heads. LOL! Would not tell me.

Which tells me that deep down, they know I had a point. No need to close ranks like that otherwise.

PostPosted: 02/15/12 9:56 am • # 17 
Kids shouldn't be (nor do they need to be) subjected to these kinds of experiments to make a point. This is very poor judgement on the part of the teacher(s) who designed it.

Maybe they could have discussed excerpts of books like "Black Like Me" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Like_Me) or movies on the subject with discussion afterwards. But this? No.

I can't help but suspect those children who were yelling the epithets did so because they probably felt that's what was expected of them - especially when being "enabled" by the teacher(s).

PostPosted: 02/15/12 2:18 pm • # 18 
Editorialist

Absolutely Sid...and the kids who were being picked on didn't feel like they could speak up, because the teachers, aides, librarian, principal, etc. were in on the whole thing too. I do think it's amazing that none of them had any reservations about all this, or maybe they did and they just weren't about to let me know that today. Dunno. 

Well, I did get an e-mail from her Social Studies teacher with info on what homework needed to be done so kiddo wouldn't fall behind. No apology, no mention of our little chat today at all. So I can tell she's pissed.Image
Oh well.

PostPosted: 02/16/12 6:00 am • # 19 
They may not be pissed Chaos.  They just may not care one way or the other and that's worse.

Do they do team teaching?  If so they all could have agreed to it and that's why they gave you that response. 

PostPosted: 02/16/12 6:05 am • # 20 
I remember the blue eye/brown eye thing now, too.  She did it with third graders, BTW. 

http://www.neatorama.com/2009/03/27/jane-elliotts-blue-eyesbrown-eyes-experiment-on-racism/

PostPosted: 02/16/12 7:21 am • # 21 
Editorialist

From the link kath posted...

Within 15 minutes, Elliott says, she observed her brown-eyed students morph into youthful supremacists and blue-eyed children become uncertain and intimidated.

Brown-eyed children "became domineering and arrogant and judgmental and cool," she says. "And smart! Smart! All of a sudden, disabled readers were reading. I thought, ‘This is not possible, this is my imagination.' And I watched bright, blue-eyed kids become stupid and frightened and frustrated and angry and resentful and distrustful. It was absolutely the strangest thing I'd ever experienced."

15 minutes! I wonder how long she kept it up? The current workshop only lasts for one day, and the "inferior" group only has to put up with it for a few hours.

http://www.janeelliott.com/workshop.htm

(I have no idea if it's "team teaching" Kath, but *someone* had the idea first and I'd really like to know where they got it. The team thing is just a huge cop-out to me. They certainly don't let the kids get away with "everyone was doing it". lol)

Last edited by Chaos333 on 02/16/12 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 02/16/12 7:49 am • # 22 
Editorialist

Aha...now here's some detailed info....

http://www.positiveschools.com.au/Jane%20Elliott%202010.html

For years scholars have evaluated Elliott's exercise, seeking to determine if it reduces racial prejudice in participants or poses a psychological risk to them. The results are mixed. Two education professors in England, Ivor F. Goodson and Pat Sikes, suggest that Elliott's experiment was unethical because the participants weren't informed of its real purpose beforehand. Alan Charles Kors, a professor of history at the University of Pennsylvania, says Elliott's diversity training is "Orwellian" and singled her out as "the Torquemada of thought reform." Kors writes that Elliott's exercise taught "blood-guilt and self-contempt to whites," adding that "in her view, nothing has changed in America since the collapse of Reconstruction." In a similar vein, Linda Seebach, a conservative columnist for the Rocky Mountain News, wrote in 2004 that Elliott was a "disgrace" and described her exercise as "sadistic," adding, "You would think that any normal person would realize that she had done an evil thing. But not Elliott. She repeated the abuse with subsequent classes, and finally turned it into a fully commercial enterprise."

Others have praised Elliott's exercise. In Building Moral Intelligence: The Seven Essential Virtues That Teach Kids to Do the Right Things, educational psychologist Michele Borda says it "teaches our children to counter stereotypes before they become full-fledged, lasting prejudices and to recognize that every human being has the right to be treated with respect." Amitai Etzioni, a sociologist at George WashingtonUniversity, says the exercise helps develop character and empathy. And StanfordUniversity psychologist Philip G. Zimbardo writes in his 1979 textbook, Psychology and Life, that Elliott's "remarkable" experiment tried to show "how easily prejudiced attitudes may be formed and how arbitrary and illogical they can be." Zimbardo—creator of the also controversial 1971 Stanford Prisoner Experiment, which was stopped after college student volunteers acting as "guards" humiliated students acting as "prisoners"—says Elliott's exercise is "more compelling than many done by professional psychologists."

******************************************************************************************************************************************************

creason.com/archives/2000/03/01/thought-reform-101/singlepage

Skin Deep is a kid's cartoon, however, compared to Jane Elliott's Blue Eyed. Elliott has been lionized by the American media, including Oprah Winfrey, and she is widely employed by a growing number of universities. Disney plans to make a movie of her life.

Blue Eyed arose from Elliott's elementary school class in Riceville, Iowa, where, starting in 1968, she inflicted upon her dyslexic students an experience in which they were loathed or praised based upon their eye color. According to Elliott, she was ostracized for this experiment, her own children were beaten and abused, and her parents (who were racists, she informed a Dutch interviewer) were driven into isolation, bankruptcy, and despair because they had raised "a nigger lover" (one of her favorite terms).

In her modest explanation, once news of her exercise with the children made it onto national television, the people of Riceville feared that blacks across America would assume that everyone there was like Elliott and would move to their town. To punish her for that, they stopped buying from her father. Elliott also revealed to her Dutch interviewer that she abandoned teaching school in 1984 to devote herself full time to diversity education, for which she receives $6,000 per day from "companies and governmental institutions."

In Blue Eyed, masochistic adults accept Elliott's two-and-a-half-hour exercise in sadism (reduced to 90 minutes of film), designed to make white people understand what it is to be "a person of color" in America. To achieve this, she divides her group into stupid, lazy, shiftless, incompetent, and psychologically brutalized "blue eyes," on the one hand, and clever and empowered "brown eyes," on the other. Some of the sadism is central to the "game," but much is gratuitous, and it continues after the exercise has ended.

Elliott is unbearably tendentious and ignorant. To teach what an IQ test truly is, she gives the brown eyes half of the answers to an impossible test before the blue eyes enter the room, explaining that, for people of color, the IQ exam is "a test about which you know absolutely nothing." IQ tests only measure "white culture." They are a means of "reinforcing our position of power," and "we do this all the time in public, private, and parochial schools," using "culturally biased tests, textbooks, and pictures on the wall...for white people." (Fortunately for Elliott, it appears there were no Asian-Americans or psychometricians in her group.)

Elliott often describes the 1990s as if they were the 1920s; indeed, in her view, nothing has changed in America since the collapse of Reconstruction. Every day in the United States, she explains, white power keeps black males in their place by calling them "boy" (two syllables, hissed), "and we do it to accomplished black males over 70, and we get away with it." We tell blacks to assimilate, which means merely to "act white," but when they try that, we put them in their place and change the rules. For example (this in 1995), whites now are building up Colin Powell, but as soon as they build "this boy" up, they will kick him down. For Elliott, the Powell boom was a conscious conspiracy to humiliate and disorient blacks.

She teaches her "blueys" with relish that protest accomplishes nothing, because if blacks protest, "we kill them." It is not smart to speak up or act clever, which is why blacks appear passive and stupid. The lesson: "You have no power, absolutely no power. ...Quit trying." Blacks might try to "win" on the inside, but it is almost impossible to validate oneself when white society puts you down "all day, every day."

Even if a "bluey" understands the implications of the workshop, or even if a white woman understands male prejudice, it bears no real relationship to the daily suffering of every black: "You do not live in the same country as that [black] woman. You live in the USA, but you do not live in the same country as she does." Blacks such as Shelby Steele (singled out by name), who speak of transcending race, delude themselves, because one might transcend one's skin color but never society's behavior: "All you can do is sit there and take it." People call the exercise cruel, Elliott explains, but "I'm only doing this for one day to little white children. Society does this to children of color every day." She stands over briefly assertive "blueys" and humiliates them, explaining that if this makes you sick to your stomach for a few hours, now you understand why blacks die younger.

In short, this is America, and there truly is no hope. Nothing ever changes. No one can succeed by effort. Culture, society, and politics all are static. "White privilege" controls all agencies of power, influence, and image, and uses all the means that arise from these to render "people of color" psychologically impotent, confused, passive, and helpless. So either vent your hatred or assume your guilt.

There is no redemption except guilt, but there is a political moral. After "teaching" a "bluey" to submit totally to her authority, she asks if that was a good lesson. The workshop thinks it was. No, she says with venom, submission to tyranny is a terrible lesson, but "what I just did to him today Newt Gingrich is doing to you every day...and you are submitting to that, submitting to oppression."

The facilitators' guide and publicity for Blue Eyed states things honestly: Elliott "does not intellectualize highly emotionally charged or challenging topics...she uses participants' own emotions to make them feel discomfort, guilt, shame, embarrassment, and humiliation." Facilitators are urged to use the raw emotions of Blue Eyed (blueys do cry a lot) to tap the reactions of the viewers. They should not expect black participants to "bleed on the floor for whites," but they should get whites to "stretch" and "take risks." The facilitators should be prepared for very strong and painful emotions and memories from the participants. The ultimate goal of the film: "It is not enough for white people to stop abusing people of color. All U.S. people need a personal vision for ending racism and other oppressive ideologies within themselves."

Elliott does mean everyone. In 1996, she told her audience at Kansas State University that all whites are racists, whatever they believe about themselves: "If you want to see another racist, turn to the person on your right. Now look at the person on your left." She also believes that blacks were in America 600 years before whites. She told the students at Kansas State that if they were angry at her, they should write letters, but that they must do so without paper, alphabet, or numbers, all of which were invented by people of color. Whites, in Elliott's view, did have a certain creativity. Betraying a breathtaking ignorance of world history, she told the Australian Internet magazine Webfronds in 1998 that "white people invented racism." Other than that, however, whites were quite parasitic.

"You're all sitting here writing in a language [English] that white people didn't come up with," she told the magazine. "You're all sitting here writing on paper that white people didn't invent. Most of you are wearing clothes made out of cloth that white people didn't come up with. We stole those ideas from other people. If you're a Christian, you're believing in a philosophy that came to us from people of color."

Jane Elliott has lived through revolutionary cultural changes without taking note of any. She teaches only helplessness and despair to blacks and only blood-guilt and self-contempt to whites. She addresses no issue with intellectual seriousness or purpose. She also is the reigning star in thought reform these days. On May 7, 1999, CBS News ran a feature on her that declared: "For over 30 years, Jane Elliott has waged a one-woman campaign against racism in America." CBS might want to rethink the notion of "racism."

Ouch!

Edit by jab to get rid of stretchmarks

to Sooz: there were too many **** in that post. Browser sees it as one very long word and can't wrap it.

Last edited by Chaos333 on 02/17/12 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 02/16/12 7:52 am • # 23 
Editorialist

http://m.naplesnews.com/news/2004/jun/21/ndn_linda_seebach__a_diversity_training_tool_we_do/

One of the more sadistic exercises practiced by some operators who drive the diversity machine goes by the name "Brown Eyes, Blue Eyes." You may have heard of it, because an elementary-school teacher in Iowa first perpetrated it on her fourth-graders in 1968 and it quickly became notorious.

Jane Elliott divided her students into two groups based on their eye color. The blue-eyed children were forced to wear collars symbolizing inferiority, and were constantly humiliated by the brown-eyed children, egged on by their teacher.

Elliott once told an interviewer, "It was just horrifying how quickly they became what I told them they were." She described how one of the blue-eyed girls changed from a "brilliant, self-confident carefree, excited little girl to a frightened, timid, uncertain little almost-person."

You would think that any normal person would realize that she had just done an evil thing. But not Elliott. She repeated the abuse with subsequent classes, and finally turned it into a fully commercial enterprise, hawking workshops, lectures, books and videos. You can find her on the Web, but I won't give you the address because I think she is a disgrace.

Here's how her Web site advertises the workshop: "This is a one-day seminar in which participants will be exposed to an exercise in discrimination based on eye color. Blue-eyed participants will be identified as the inferior group and all the negative stereotypes ordinarily applied to people of color and women by white people and men will be applied to them. Those people having green or hazel eyes will be designated inferior or superior as the instructor sees fit."

One of the many companies that sell her videos describes the results this way: "In just a few hours, we watch grown professionals become distracted and despondent, stumbling over the simplest commands."

Why am I telling you about this now? Because an extremely and righteously angry woman wrote me recently that her son, a ninth-grader at Peak to Peak Charter School in Lafayette, Colo., had been subjected to this abusive treatment in his English literature class, which was studying "Othello."

"The teacher made my son wear a blue card on a string around his neck. He was required to smile ingratiatingly, bow his head, and beg people to tie his shoes for him," she wrote. "The teacher wore a yellow card, that of the superior race, and she petted and made much of the other yellow card students."

In a particularly nasty wrinkle, the teacher told the students chosen for the subordinate group that they would all receive Fs for their work that day and that the failing grades would be on their final transcript. And she sent them home still believing that lie.

If that had been done to me in ninth grade, little Miss Perfectionist that I was, I'd have gone home and killed myself.

"Teaching children about abuse should never include abusing them," the mother wrote. "Committing a hate crime should not be the way we teach our youngsters about hate crimes."

I'm inclined to give the school an institutional pass on this; the exercise was certainly no part of official policy, though the teacher did it in more than one class, and school administrators didn't know about it until the mother complained. Principal Tony Fontana said it is school policy to inform parents and get their consent for anything controversial, and if he didn't know before that this is controversial, he does now.

But the teacher, and the counselor who aided and abetted her, should have their heads examined.

No, scratch that. They should have their heads handed to them.

It's bad enough to do this to adults in mandatory corporate diversity training, who at least know it is an exercise and are partly prepared for it. Forcing it on children, with no warning that it is an exercise, is unconscionable.

A school might try to justify showing the video, with parental consent, but even that strikes me as akin to using Josef Mengele's medical data. Yet many companies do this kind of exercise, and the question that troubles me is why so many people think this is a good thing.

The companies peddling diversity-training material say things like this in their pitches. "Jane Elliott's method is based on her belief that people can best be motivated to fight discrimination by experiencing it themselves — if only for a few hours in a controlled environment."

I doubt that. All my experience with corporate diversity training suggests that it is often abusive or silly, and moreover highly counterproductive, but everybody lies about it because they think they have to.

"Jane Elliott's 'blue eyed-brown eyed exercise' is one of the most acclaimed and most widely used diversity-training tools ever developed," says another vendor. "Thousands of copies are in use in colleges, government agencies and corporations across the country."

I don't doubt that's true. But it shouldn't be.

Last edited by Chaos333 on 02/16/12 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 02/16/12 8:28 am • # 24 
I would think it is notorious. It seems ridiculous to me. Fuss, so they don't do it again!!!!!

I don't know Chaos. School was always like that in Jason's era, too. The teachers decided in a group to do stuff.

"Why was math taught on the seven levels in 5th grade and just 3 levels in 6th grade?"

"Oh, the teachers wanted to do it that way." Which I thought was a stupid answer and there should be an overarching, coherent educational plan, but in my history that was the answer I got, too. In my era, no one would even have asked the question.

PostPosted: 02/16/12 11:03 am • # 25 
Editorialist

Seems the school thought it was a "great success" and they plan on doing it again next year.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 36 posts ] New Topic Add Reply