It is currently 05/13/24 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   Page 4 of 5   [ 104 posts ]
 Post subject: Poor Odin
PostPosted: 04/14/12 6:30 am • # 76 
Editorialist

((((((((((((((((((((Chaos/Odin/Family)))))))))))))))))))))))

jd

PostPosted: 04/14/12 12:31 pm • # 77 
Editorialist

Everything went smoothly with the poor fella today. We went back to the doc & vet tech that did the ultrasound. Longer ride, but worth the trip. They made us a nice boxed pawprint, and his ashes will be here in a few weeks. I'm going to have to guess that vets aren't used to seeing kids come along. Doc was terribly[/i] impressed that kiddo wanted to be there, but seemed hesitant....until we explained that she'd been there to say goodbye to Murray and[/i] Tinker and[/i] Gracie. Only stayed home when we said goodbye to Chaos because she had a cold. 

Hubby was asleep about an hour after we got home. I mopped & re-mopped. lol

On the other hand, just because there can never be enough drama around here...Ittle the cat went missing early this morning. She got into the basement somehow, and found her way into the bottom (underneath) of the big old chest freezer down there. She's never been down there before, got locked in, and panicked.....lol....her tail was foofed for a good half hour after the rescue.Image

PostPosted: 04/14/12 3:07 pm • # 78 
I'm sorry, Chaos!!!  

He knew he was loved.   Image

PostPosted: 04/14/12 5:24 pm • # 79 
Editorialist

Chaos,

You and your family must be exhausted physically, as well as emotionally.  I think sleep will be good medicine.  I'm sorry for Odin's illness and the strain you were all enduring.  As has been said, "He knew he was loved," and I think you know that you were loved.  Peace.

jd

PostPosted: 04/15/12 4:10 am • # 80 
Editorialist

Missing Odin.... but I'm sure he is in a happy place where he doesn't have to eat and doesn't have to worry about messing in the house. Impressed as always with your strength and that of your family. I'm so sorry. We have all been down that road and it is hard and sad and bittersweet.

PostPosted: 04/15/12 4:37 am • # 81 
Editorialist

Might as well tell the story of how Odin wound up with us. We said goodbye to Chaos (osteosarcoma) and a few weeks later I was browsing the website of the breeder he came from. ( Also where our first rottie came from-all 3 were related, btw.) And this puppy FACE looked at me from the screen, I knew in that fraction of a second he was "the one". So I show the family and about a week later, we jump in the car and go.

There's a few litters, and kiddo (kindergarten at the time) is having a blast, playing with one bunch-they stole her hat and mittens-while we looked around. Next group all up and about and hubby was goofing off with them....but one....backed up, sat down with a big plop, looked him in the eye and barked the loudest little bark a pup could muster "ME! I'M RIGHT HERE!". So we pick him up, check his tattoo....and sure enough it's him-the face I fell for. Out of alllllllll those pups. 

So we really have no doubt that the right face will find us when we're ready.Image

PostPosted: 04/15/12 9:29 am • # 82 
Editorialist

Great story! When I search for kittens (in the hope I can convince hubby to get one, lol), it's always the face that gets my attention.  There is something I can't put my finger on, but maybe a certain face reminds me of the cats from my past that I loved so much.

Also, the paw print from the vet is a wonderful, caring thing. I've never heard of that before. Frame it with a pic of Odin.

PostPosted: 04/15/12 9:37 am • # 83 
Editorialist

"Convince hubby to get one"???? Silly...you go get your cat, bring it home and tell him "Here's our cat". Image

PostPosted: 04/15/12 12:33 pm • # 84 
He went peacefully, knowing he was loved.

PostPosted: 04/16/12 2:55 am • # 85 
Editorialist

Until now, most of the reports of problems concerned kidney damage...but now a whole bunch have popped up with symptoms exactly like what we dealt with. I wish I'd saved what was left in the bag, but he wasn't showing symptoms at that moment. It started 2 days later.

A woman, whose dog got seriously ill after eating treats made in China, received a letter from the manufacturer offering to pay half of her veterinarian bill in exchange for her silence.

Helene Dollinger recently bought Waggin' Train Jerky Tenders for her standard poodles, Duv and Ari, and Duv became seriously ill within a half-hour of consuming them.

"Blood was pouring out of his rectum," she said.

Dollinger rushed the poodle to the veterinarian, and the recovery took two weeks.

After Duv's illness, Dollinger called Waggin' Treats to complain, and the Anderson, S.C., company agreed to pay half of her $300 veterinarian bill – with a caveat.

She had to sign a confidentiality agreement.

"Ms. Dollinger agrees that she, her spouse or partner, family members and veterinarian agree to keep this release and the incident it addresses in confidence and make no public statements as to either," read the company's letter.

"I ripped up their check and I sent it back and I told (them) to stuff it," she said.

PostPosted: 04/18/12 12:38 am • # 86 
Are you saying Odin was poisoned by Chinese-made pet food treats????

PostPosted: 04/18/12 12:56 am • # 87 
Editorialist

Quite possible, Sid. The Waggin' Train chicken tenders (remember I said he was a chicken loving dog?) were his favorite treats, he'd had one or maybe two a day for a long time without a problem. Like I said somewhere in the early posts in this thread I tossed them straight in the garbage as soon as I read about what was going on-and he wasn't sick at all at the time- but the damage may have been done. He had problems two days after I threw them away.

PostPosted: 04/20/12 8:56 am • # 88 
This pisses me off to no end. I lost a kitty to tainted food from China a few years ago.The fucking bastards just don't care.... it's cut corners cut corners profit profit profit....

PostPosted: 04/22/12 4:49 am • # 89 
Editorialist

We got a lovely sympathy card this week from the wonderful Dr. A and her tech Megan. 
Yesterday, we got another card and a letter, they had made a donation to "Vet i Care" to honor Odin. Image

Vet-I-Care is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit charitable organization committed to helping families secure the resources required to provide much needed specialty and emergency care for their pets. Vet-I-Care was formed by the technicians and doctors that came across pets that pulled at their heartstrings when the families could not afford a procedure that would help them continue their companionship. We are funded entirely by the generosity of our community and through fund raising events.  

PostPosted: 04/22/12 4:58 am • # 90 
Administrator

WOW, Chaos ~ truly thoughtful and compassionate gestures ~ much more than enough to keep me using their services ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 04/25/12 1:17 am • # 91 
Editorialist

So the phone rings during supper last night, letting us know that ashes are on the way via FedEx.

I hung up and said "The dog is in the mail!" and we all just *cracked up*. Kiddo says "Well, you don't hear THAT every day!".Image

PostPosted: 04/25/12 4:11 am • # 92 
Editorialist

Image  As an aside, but sort of relevant: A resident of ours had a toilet seat that was loose. Hubby fixed it and she sent an email saying "Thanks! The toilet seat is perfect" followed by "I'm sure that is the only time in my life I will write that sentence!" lol, she's a hoot.

PostPosted: 04/25/12 7:27 am • # 93 
Editorialist

Image I think she's right! That's cute, roseanne!

He is here! I was going to call and get the tracking # today, but they did send him overnight. Lovely box with a little brass lock and a certificate. For some reason (wishful thinking?) I just got him a new brass ID tag that he only wore for a week in the end. I think it will look perfect on the box if we can figure out some industrial-strength glue solution. I'm sure hubby has something. lol

PostPosted: 04/26/12 6:14 am • # 94 
Epoxy

Post subject: Re: Poor Odin
PostPosted: 04/14/13 11:00 am • # 95 
Editorialist

Well, it's been a year since we said goodbye. It's been in the back of my mind all week.

I was just sitting outside with Baccus and Logi and thinking about how much things have changed. They're a handful, for sure. But two wagging tails help chase the blues away.

PostPosted: 04/15/13 11:27 am • # 96 
Chewy died in 2007, chaos, and a yellow lab can still bring tears to my eyes.

PostPosted: 01/11/15 12:14 am • # 97 
Editorialist

<sigh>

It's been a very long road, and I can't say enough about the folks who testified, coordinated, documented, insisted, never gave up and made this happen.

I have to talk to hubby about this. We said all along we didn't want a dime of their blood money, all we wanted was these treats off the shelves for good.

But they're back on the shelves anyway. :angry So now I'm toying with the idea of submitting a claim....and if we do get any $$, earmarking it for any vet emergencies we may encounter in the future.

And maybe sponsor an adoption or two at the shelter? Make something good happen out of all that heartache?

I'm torn.

https://www.dogtreatproductssettlement.com/

PostPosted: 01/11/15 4:48 pm • # 98 
My opinion:

File the claim. Then do something positive with it in Odin's memory.

PostPosted: 01/11/15 9:49 pm • # 99 
Editorialist

That's what we decided, Kath. Off the top, we pay Aunt Linda back for the ultrasound. Worthy causes for the rest won't be hard to find.

I found the receipts for all his vet bills today. Not fun.

But no luck so far tracking down his original purchase price (from 2005) and I honestly can't remember, but he wasn't cheap! lol I'm sure it's in the attic somewhere, along with his AKC 5-generation pedigree and all that jazz.

Sounds SO strange to even say that, but....we were so smitten with that family line of rotties, we did actually buy Chaos and Odin from Thor's breeder. :eek

I know. <hangs head in shame>

PostPosted: 03/23/15 8:34 am • # 100 
Editorialist

Waiting on a call from the vet, trying to get a copy of lab results for the first set of bloodwork that was done. Vet has to OK it (he'd better!) and then I'll drive out and pick it up. I think that's the last bit of documentation I could possibly scrape together, then I'll go over things one more time and send priority overnight.

I did find the credit card statement with his original purchase. Jan 29, 2005. You don't even want to know how long it took to dig that up. lol

I've procrastinated and now I have to hurry and I could kick myself. lol Tried so many times to sit down and pull all this together and it just keeps breaking my heart all over again. Besides, deep down I figure Purina will find a way to reject it anyway. They wouldn't want to miss a chance to spit on his grave.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   Page 4 of 5   [ 104 posts ] New Topic Add Reply