It is currently 05/18/24 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   Page 2 of 5   [ 104 posts ]
 Post subject: Poor Odin
PostPosted: 03/09/12 12:43 pm • # 26 
Editorialist

Just for giggles, I cut off a bit of the roast I'm marinating for tomorrow, browned it a bit....hubby was sitting on the floor, Odin halfway in his lap.( he always did want to be a lap dog...lol) When hubby tried to give him a bite of the beef, he recoiled and went to the other side of the room. Didn't even want to be near his "daddy" as long as there was food in his hand.

PostPosted: 03/10/12 3:59 am • # 27 
Editorialist

He's a wee bit brighter this morning...and did decide that the beef bits were yummy after all. First time he's eaten anything willingly in days...could be a sign of hope?

PostPosted: 03/10/12 4:57 am • # 28 
Editorialist

Chaos333 wrote:
He's a wee bit brighter this morning...and did decide that the beef bits were yummy after all. First time he's eaten anything willingly in days...could be a sign of hope?

Maybe! Is he hydrating? I know that they can insert "water bag" thigies under the skin for that as I had a kitten that was languishing. Sometimes that will help more than food.

PostPosted: 03/10/12 5:14 am • # 29 
Editorialist

Okay, after much digging around on the internet, and one whopper of a crazy dream, I came up with a game plan. 
-reduce current med to 1x a day
-add lo dose short course of  steroid (pred) to reduce inflammation. It stimulates hunger and thirst as a side effect, which he needs. Commonly given in combination with the first med for this situation. We are quite familiar with pred, lol.
-and another med (sucralfate) that coats/creates mucous "band aid" over any ulcerated tissue ( have to fill that one at the drugstore). Help ease the other two meds which are hard on the tummy, help heal what's raw in there. Maybe it won't hurt so much to eat.
-add an OTC probiotic next week.

Vet approves. He'd like to have us do the US first to "make sure we are on the right track" but first things first, we have to get him eating again. So we'll continue with the forced gruel and offer whatever else comes to mind. There were several other drugs mentioned in my research, I compared all pros and cons and prices, read case studies. Yes, ultrasound, doggy colonoscopy, biopsy-many very expensive possibilities exist. 

But dammit, he nibbled this morning and squeaked his toy. That's more than he did all day yesterday.

PostPosted: 03/15/12 2:43 am • # 30 
Editorialist

Update: it's been an up and down week so far. Still having to fight to get him to eat, but he's decided on a two bite limit at best, and just refuses most of the time. We continue to pump him with gruel, but he's starting to *really* not appreciate that, either. Fighting us on taking pills. He's skeletal and looks awful. We're taking him out every 2 hours around the clock because the accidents in the house were too much. 
Ultrasound scheduled for the 24th (best we could do, long story) but I'm not sure he'll make it. Doing the best we can for now. 

PostPosted: 03/15/12 3:54 am • # 31 
Administrator

I'm sooooo sorry to read this, Chaos ~ pets really do become part of the family ~ and this has to be very painful to deal with for all of you ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 03/17/12 10:56 am • # 32 
Editorialist

Day three of the puppy formula/rice mixture every 2 or 3 hours, and he's actually perking up a bit. I found rice cereal ( like cream of wheat, but rice) which has made this easier. (The baby rice cereal had quite a bit of iron, and I was a little worried about that.)
He also had a sponge bath yesterday and smells much better. lol

PostPosted: 03/19/12 5:21 am • # 33 
Editorialist

No progress. Moving on to a prescription canned diet in a blender so we can use the oral syringe. I'm more than a little pissed at our vet right now...who waited until NOW to tell us about this prescription diet.

PostPosted: 03/19/12 12:41 pm • # 34 
I would  be too.  Does he have any idea what the problem is?   Still thinking infection?

PostPosted: 03/19/12 4:00 pm • # 35 
Editorialist

"Enteritis".....but we don't know why (and won't know any more without expensive testing) and it's not getting better. Image

PostPosted: 03/23/12 6:53 am • # 36 
Editorialist

Well, big day tomorrow. Fingers crossed. I'm not very hopeful, though. 

NO improvement on the prescription food. If anything, he's even more of a skeleton. To see what was a perfectly healthy, happy dog a few months ago turn into this..... Kiddo is prepared. Hubby is not.

PostPosted: 03/23/12 7:29 am • # 37 
[img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/frown.gif[/img]

PostPosted: 03/24/12 6:10 pm • # 38 
Editorialist

Well, 72 pounds, down from 95 on 2/28, which was down from 109 in Oct. of 2011. 

Ultrasound didn't show any big masses or blockages or anything, just very, very inflamed bowels and a few enlarged lymph nodes. She sampled a node, checked under microscope, didn't see anything cancerous. ( Still a chance it could be, though.) She felt that his severe case of enteritis "had NOT been treated aggressively enough", and wanted us to try a few other things. Recovery is "not impossible", but no guarantees of course.

PostPosted: 03/25/12 1:53 am • # 39 
Editorialist

Wow, that's a lot of weight! Poor, poor, Odin and family. It's so stressful. Still keeping good thoughts. Image

PostPosted: 03/27/12 1:16 am • # 40 
Editorialist

Sub-q fluids, Prednisone/ Reglan/ Prilosec continues. No accidents on my shift last night, but I made him go out every hour until 3. LOL Hubby not so lucky at 4:30am.Image

He is drinking every time he comes in from outside, but *only* if he sees us put *fresh* water in his dish, and then *only* if we leave the room and don't watch. If he sees us peek around the corner, he stops drinking. If I fill the dish with fresh water while he's outside, he doesn't want it when he comes in. 
So I spent some time researching food aversion last night. Yup-just what I thought. Survival mechanism-if you eat something and then feel sick, you don't eat that again. 
Had a sample pack of kibble in the cabinet, tossed a bit in his dish. (shhhhhh...we had secret nibbles-hubby heard him- at 5 AM, but don't tell Odin you know. I put a few more of the same crunchies out this morning, he snuck a few bites while I pretended to be busy in the kitchen.It may be only a 3oz bag of food...and there's still about 8 pieces in the dish...but he did *choose* to eat it.
This presents a dilemma. He's only supposed to have the bland diet. But he won't touch it. Changing diet all the time can cause digestive upset, but to overcome food aversion we need to offer a buffet and keep changing foods. So when he finally eats a meal and it doesn't make him feel like crap, his instincts will tell him it's "safe" to eat whatever it is. Supposed to call the doc we saw over the weekend today, I'm going to chat with her about this. I think at 72 lbs whatever he wants, he gets.

PostPosted: 03/27/12 1:20 am • # 41 
Editorialist

Oh-another food aversion technique I'm trying. The "safe zone". Gave him his blanket. When he's laying there, I make no attempt to offer him food, don't give meds, etc. Only do that off the blanket. IF he refuses food and retreats to the blanket, respect that.

PostPosted: 03/27/12 3:25 am • # 42 
Editorialist

Enterprenurial idea- behavioral medicine for dogs- team up with a vet and start a practice. Help Odin, make a fortune. Why is it that so many medical people don't recognize the behavioral problems? Animals have very elaborate survival behaviors and we just treat them like they are dumb. I have a very disturbed shelter dog. She needs a lot of behavior coaching. I'd use your services.

PostPosted: 03/27/12 2:22 pm • # 43 
Editorialist

Lol...don't get too excited about my behavioral services queen....we've never been able to teach him to speak when he has to go outside. And that would make this whole situation a LOT easier right about now.Image

PostPosted: 03/28/12 11:18 am • # 44 
Editorialist

Duck. He's decided he likes duck. And egg. I found another dish we had laying around, so no association with his regular dish to worry about.  Feeding him across the room from where he usually eats. 

Vet said that while bland would be best, at this point let him eat whatever he'll eat if he's willing. She added another med (antibiotic/anti-inflam) that we're using off- label for Odin. (It's usually for farm animals.) 

He had duck & potato dry food for breakfast, a can of duck for lunch, a duck sausage for a snack, and just now more duck dry with some scrambled egg for supper. 3 rounds of meds on board for today, one more to go. Not huge quantities of food-we won't let him- but it totals more than he's willingly eaten in weeks.Image

PostPosted: 03/28/12 11:37 am • # 45 
Duck!?!

Not my Duck. 

PostPosted: 03/28/12 3:04 pm • # 46 
Editorialist

LOL! No worries, Kath. I saw duck, rabbit, venison, bison, lamb....but no feline flavored food.Image

PostPosted: 03/29/12 7:24 am • # 47 
Editorialist

Our dog likes duck too- she's even been known to scavenge her own-eeeewwww.

PostPosted: 03/29/12 9:48 am • # 48 
Editorialist

He got his first ever bath in the bathtub today. (The boy was stinky, and needed it.) So far, still likes the duck...so I got some more...fingers crossed that he doesn't change his mind.

Fresh duck, eh queen? We have wild turkeys, but I doubt he'd go after one.Image

PostPosted: 03/29/12 10:30 am • # 49 
Editorialist

Back in Boston, the old dog would come home with various seagull parts. He also ate crabs and mussels and had the worst breath ever. Lived to 16 though...

PostPosted: 04/01/12 7:42 am • # 50 
Editorialist

Odin seems to be regaining appetite. He won't always eat, but when he comes looking for a bite and we offer something, he generally eats all of whatever it is. Image

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   Page 2 of 5   [ 104 posts ] New Topic Add Reply