Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   Page 3 of 5   [ 104 posts ]
 Post subject: Poor Odin
PostPosted: 04/01/12 11:02 am • # 51 
Is he gaining back some weight?

PostPosted: 04/01/12 12:37 pm • # 52 
Editorialist

Chaos333 wrote:
Odin seems to be regaining appetite. He won't always eat, but when he comes looking for a bite and we offer something, he generally eats all of whatever it is. Image

Great news! Image

PostPosted: 04/01/12 3:55 pm • # 53 
Editorialist

Hard to tell on weight Sid, still very bony. He's lost a lot of muscle mass. But his belly doesn't look as concave as it did. 

His Aunt brought him another new toy today. He hasn't let it go. Image

PostPosted: 04/02/12 3:51 pm • # 54 
Hope Odin is still having a better appetite and getting better.

PostPosted: 04/05/12 2:25 pm • # 55 
Editorialist

Thanks all.

Holding steady. Meds, fluids, clean up accidents in the wee hours. IV supplies arrived yesterday ( yay!) and he got a new collar. (He's shrunk so much he kept getting his leg caught in the collar he had. lol He'd try to stand up and it was like someone tied his shoelaces together.) 
Still eating several small meals a day. Expects scrambled egg on his crunchies in the morning, too.Image

PostPosted: 04/06/12 6:45 am • # 56 
Editorialist

I'd like scrambled egg on my crunchies in the morning too, please. Go Odin!

PostPosted: 04/06/12 2:40 pm • # 57 
Editorialist

Yay Odin!  Of course wanting his scrambled eggs isn't going to change when he's all recovered.  It's the old "how you going to keep 'em down on the farm when they've seen the big city lights" syndrome.

PostPosted: 04/07/12 3:14 pm • # 58 
Editorialist

Ummm...unfortunately, today he's decided he's not going to eat anything again, eggs or no eggs. No duck, no eggs, tried three different kinds of canned food....nada.  We really can't tell if he's feeling too ill to eat, or if he's just holding out for "something better"...whatever that is.Image

PostPosted: 04/08/12 8:54 am • # 59 
I'm sorry to hear that.  Poor baby!!!!

PostPosted: 04/08/12 9:20 am • # 60 
Editorialist

I bet it's the "something better" and something better is probably whatever he liked a lot before he was sick because now he feels good and dogs have short memories.

PostPosted: 04/10/12 9:55 am • # 61 
Editorialist

Wish I had better news to report, but *nothing* we have offered him in the past 72 hours was appetizing, no matter what dish it was in or where we tried to feed him. (He even turns his head at the scrambled eggs.) Vet had us bump up his steroid-he's at max allowable dose- no change. If not for the sub-q fluids, I think this would be over already. Blood loss has increased dramatically despite the 4 meds a day. He's having trouble getting to his feet today.  

Everything I've read says there is no clear cause, and no clear course of treatment, but everything mentioned is something we've tried or are doing. The only thing we haven't done is a biopsy of the bowel, but I'm not sure he could survive a surgery, ( even if we could afford it) and no matter what it might find, the treatment wouldn't change...and we've had little luck with that anyway. Saw some stats that said 25% recover (usually in a few days), 50% have ongoing problems and need treatment (meds/restricted diets) for life, 25% either succumb or have to be put down. Yes, it can take months to get under control, but it's been just about two months already, and he's going downhill again despite our best efforts.

So we're tossing around what to do....do we stop the meds ( have to taper off the steroid) and see if he feels better? (Two are supposed to be taken with food and he's not eating, so I imagine his tummy feels awful.) Go back to force feeding with the syringe? Take him to the grocery store and see if he shows an interest in anything? lol  Or wave the white flag?Image

PostPosted: 04/10/12 10:50 am • # 62 
Editorialist

Oh Chaos, I am so sorry that you are feeling like you have to make a decision for Odin. Everything you said in your last post is the same thing I have heard before, when two friends' dogs had similar experiences. I am always hopeful, but Odin is going to have the last say here.If he isn't going ot do it, he isn't going to do it and no amount of meds or force will change it. Still ever hopeful for you and Odin, I know it is so hard to be in your shoes right now.

PostPosted: 04/10/12 6:02 pm • # 63 
Editorialist

Oh dear , Chaos!  That's not encouraging.  I think Queenie is right, it's up to Odin to make his choice.  All you can do is make sure there is food and water available for him if he wants it - most important right now is the water.  He will dehydrate quickly. But don't give up.  Dogs are strange creatures.  They can seem to be at death's door one day and scampering like a puppy the next. 

PostPosted: 04/11/12 5:12 am • # 64 
I hope he's out frolicing right now.  You've given it the good fight.  You'll know.

PostPosted: 04/11/12 5:28 am • # 65 
Editorialist

Seems Mr. Sneaky, who won't speak up when he has to go out, and knowing that it's a no-no to have accidents in the house, has decided to be even more sneaky about it. Not sure how many times hubby cleaned up last night, but he's exhausted and asleep. I've mopped up twice in the past hour and a half, never heard a thing. So I went in the attic and dug up an old sheep bell, which is now attached to his collar. Let's see him sneak with that on. Image

(There's food and water available Jim...but he's not going for it. The IV fluids are easy to do, though.)

PostPosted: 04/11/12 7:34 am • # 66 
Editorialist

Big bell is scawy...he won't move with it on. Mopped up again, washed his rear end, found smaller bell. 

PostPosted: 04/11/12 9:17 am • # 67 
Editorialist

His Aunt says she has some other foods for us to try. Big shout out to her-she's brought foods ( for him and for us! lol) toys, funded the vet and meds....keeps coming up with things that need to be fixed on her vehicle so she can overpay her brother. lol  Always a little something for kiddo, too-usually school supplies, she is a teacher after all.Image We never would have been able to keep trying for this long without her. 

PostPosted: 04/12/12 3:09 am • # 68 
Editorialist

I know it's frustrating, Chaos, but don't be too hard on him over his mistakes.  That he's trying to hide them shows he's as embarassed about them as you are upset.  Just like occasionally happens with people - time, location and necessity don't always coincide.

PostPosted: 04/12/12 5:42 pm • # 69 
Editorialist

Chaos,  I'm sorry, but it has really become a chore to post and I had not read about Odin.  I am so sorry for all that has happened.  Goomie's health deteriorated at a much faster rate and we did not have to go through all the hoops you are having to negotiate.  I did not know who "Poor Odin" was.

You have put up a very good fight and it sounds as though you have a good vet.  And let me not forget the efforts of Odin to hang in there.

I wish him well, and I wish you well.  I know you must be drained with such a long battle.  I know you've got to be tired.  My son slept about sixteen hours today, getting up only to let his dog out and to eat a small meal.  I slept 12 hours last night, and another three this afternoon, and I'm now ready to take my nighttime meds and go back to bed.

I am very sorry for your situation, and certainly able to empathize.  Thank you for the comfort  you've given me.  I send you hugs and I hope there will be a change for the better soon.   You're a brave woman and obviously are giving Odin everything you've got in an effort to his well being and survival.  I wish you success, but, if not, there can be no doubt in your mind that you gave it every ounce of effort to take care of your friend, Odin.

Thank you.

jd

PostPosted: 04/13/12 4:49 am • # 70 
Editorialist

OK Jeanne..you made be blubber. Thanks, I needed that.

Every day, hubby says "If he's not improving by tomorrow". Well, I hope that's today. Getting to his feet has become more and more of a struggle. He fell trying to come up the one step to get in the back door this morning, his his chin real hard. Image I had to use a towel as a sling to help him back in the house. (Of course, hubby wasn't here to see it.) Odin did eat a bit last night when his Auntie was here, but all that came back up this morning. 
Talked to the vet at length, and she will "be happy to talk to my husband". Her exact words were " I mean, c'mon, he's falling down?" 

PostPosted: 04/13/12 10:03 am • # 71 
Editorialist

PostPosted: 04/13/12 1:41 pm • # 72 
Editorialist

Noon tomorrow. 

We're trying darn hard to spoil the boy silly with yummy things-as is tradition- but not having much luck. A few bites of lunchmeat ham were welcomed, but I just made his eggs, no go. I found a teeny pack of "stir fry beef", maybe 4 or 5 pieces, I'll try those later. 

PostPosted: 04/13/12 2:12 pm • # 73 
Editorialist

Image  ((((((((((Chaos and family)))))))))))))

PostPosted: 04/13/12 6:03 pm • # 74 
Editorialist

Major, major hugs to you, your family and Odin, Chaos.  There's nothing we can say that will make it better but we'll be here for you when you are ready.

PostPosted: 04/14/12 12:50 am • # 75 

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   Page 3 of 5   [ 104 posts ] New Topic Add Reply