It is currently 05/04/24 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   Page 1 of 5   [ 104 posts ]
 Post subject: Poor Odin
PostPosted: 02/25/12 8:24 am • # 1 
Editorialist

Odin the dog has been ill for a while now. We are quite worried. Image He wasn't eating, and we thought it might have been a change in food-hubby wanted him on a formula with glucosamine. He didn't like it. lol So we went and got his "regular" senior formula that he's been eating for years. He snarfed it up, then barfed it up, and hasn't really been keeping much down ever since. Runny at the other end, too and accidents in the house which is not normal for him but we know he can't help it.

He seemed to make some progress earlier in the week with a bland diet (rice and boiled beef) but as soon as we started adding in regular dog food, downhill again. So I made a fresh batch of rice and boiled chicken breast ( he LOVES chicken), we'll try a bit of that tonight and see how it goes. He's hungry, and interested in eating....just can't keep it down.

Poor guy. Can't let him into the living room where there is carpet and he's not happy about being confined. We've never had a rottie get past 7 years old...and he was 7 in November.  

PostPosted: 02/26/12 12:26 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

So far so good on the chicken & rice & Pepto today. (One accident overnight.) He looks like he feels a little better. 

PostPosted: 02/26/12 12:41 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

Poor Odin Image  As bad as having babies, when they can't really tell you whats wrong. Scary too. Keep at it. I think the Pepto helped a lot. Maybe just a tummy upset that needed to be soothed until healed.

(hope he doesn't barf the Pepto. That crap is nastier coming back up. Believe me, I've done it)

PostPosted: 02/26/12 12:48 pm • # 4 
Administrator

Sorry to read the op, but happy to read your follow-up, Chaos ~ pets definitely become a part of the family ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 02/28/12 8:10 am • # 5 
Editorialist

Hubby is taking his boy to the vet in a few hours. It's just not clearing up, we've done everything we can think of and we can't put this off any longer.  Image Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: 02/28/12 9:25 am • # 6 
Good Luck!!!!

PostPosted: 02/28/12 2:54 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

Okay....he's down to 94 pounds. X-ray doesn't show any visible blockage or areas of concern-yay!- but his intestines are inflammed. No fever, only a little dehydrated. They gave him a shot to help calm his system while we wait for labs to come back. Vet said we did everything right (boy would I be in trouble if the vet said otherwise...lol Image) but sometimes their system just gets so riled up it can't settle down without help. No clear diagnosis yet. 

He was a very good boy, as usual. They always compliment him on his manners and fuss over how obedient he is. (I guess they see a lot of dogs who aren't!?)  Didn't eat his bland supper just now, but he's kind of worn out from the big ride to the vet. lol 

Glad we sold those bikes. Image

PostPosted: 02/29/12 5:19 am • # 8 
Editorialist

Chaos:  What you are describing with Odin, especially if it came on quickly, sounds a bit like poisoning.  Make sure the vet checks for that when they do the blood tests.  Normally they don't.  If he's gotten into something he shouldn't have, a good dose of Vitamin K might fix him right up.

PostPosted: 02/29/12 9:34 am • # 9 
Editorialist

We can't think of anything he could have gotten into, Jim, though it's always possible. He spends most of his time in the house, and there's nothing new around here. When he's in the big yard, one of us is out there watching. He doesn't hang around in the side yard ( ahem..."the business area"...) for long, as soon as he's done he's on the porch waiting to come back in. 

But there is that situation with the chicken jerky treats with ingredients from China going on, and those were his treats before we found out. I tossed 'em on the 15th. I wish I'd heard about this sooner. grrrr

Vet called- liver, kidneys, thyroid electrolytes, all good. White cells up, type of white cells not a surprise, common with inflammation and minor infections. Slightly dehydrated but not too bad (which we expected), overall no red flags. Official diagnosis for now is enteritis. Still possible there's something else, but first we treat for this and if it doesn't clear up, move on. So we stay with the bland diet for at least another week, and meds 2x a day-Metronidazole-for a week, maybe longer. Touch base with doc on Monday.   

No accidents overnight,(yay!) he did eat breakfast and then snored all morning. I have fresh chicken cooling off now.....Image. Picked up his pills and I grabbed a pack of "Pill pockets" too ( actually the chicken ones for kitties, but he doesn't go for beef treats anyway) and he gulped his pill no problem. So far so good.

PostPosted: 03/01/12 6:51 am • # 10 
Editorialist

Update: so far, so good. 

The rice & chicken I made for him yesterday was so good, kiddo was nibbling at it. (Not from the dog dish, of course.)Image Boiled boneless skinless chicken breasts, skimmed the broth & used that to make the rice. Darn tasty! 

PostPosted: 03/05/12 10:29 am • # 11 
Editorialist

Less vomit...still squirting. Meds and home cooking continue.

PostPosted: 03/05/12 11:30 am • # 12 
Editorialist

Chaos, perhaps a day of just the broth might be helpful? Just thinking about what I do when I have a really bad tummy upset.

PostPosted: 03/05/12 1:28 pm • # 13 
Editorialist

I dunno roseanne...we still have to ration his water too. Otherwise, he chugs & hurls. lol  
Left a message for the vet, he's in tomorrow AM. He did say we might have to be on the meds for a while. I'm wondering if we should address the squirts with a higher dose of Pepto, or change to something else, or if it's best to just ride this out. Poor pupper had a rotten weekend of many accidents in the house, we had a rotten weekend of perpetual mopping. Image

Oh- he's caught on to the little pill pocket things, too. Rats!Image

PostPosted: 03/07/12 4:35 am • # 14 
Editorialist

Not much progress on the accidents. If only he'd learned how to speak when he has to go out. And despite my warnings, in a blur of exhaustion in the middle of the night, while cleaning up yet another mess, hubby scolded him. So this morning, the mess was in the bathroom. White throw rugs in there. Niiiiice! Image

Increased Pepto per the doc, and staying on the meds. Not much more we can do...it's a waiting game until his system settles down. Hope that's soon, he's very droopy and sad.

PostPosted: 03/07/12 4:45 am • # 15 
Editorialist

Are you still feeding him mainly chicken and rice, Chaos.  The rice hasn't been bad, but chicken seems to do nasty things to just about every dog I've had - especially if they're not used to it.

PostPosted: 03/07/12 5:11 am • # 16 
Editorialist

Actually, we shifted to beef/chicken/rice ( for a gradual change) and then the last batch was just the boiled beef and rice Jim. I thought it might help, but it seems to have backfired. He isn't eager to eat it like he was with the chicken-he's only picking at it. (He's always been a chicken kind of guy, even the dry he usually eats is a chicken/rice kibble). He completely turned his nose up at his breakfast today, so hasn't eaten anything in over 12 hours. We need him to eat, so it's back to chicken. 

Did I mention that Odin is the fussiest dog we've ever had when it comes to food? lol Won't even eat a Milk Bone.    

The cats, on the other hand, love beef. Image

PostPosted: 03/08/12 2:17 pm • # 17 
Editorialist

He's refusing to eat. Literally turning his head away[/i]. Kiddo managed to get him to nibble a small handful of boiled chicken last night-maybe 2 ounces-that's all he had all day.  The meds list loss of appetite as a side effect, so we didn't give him any today, hoping his appetite will pick back up.  Desperate times call for desperate measures. Raided some $ from kiddo ( yes, we'll pay her back, lol) and got baby food, a vitamin paste and some "doggy-Ensure" type liquid diet. Got a small dose of vitamins in, and about 6oz of the liquid diet over several hours. He will lick a spoon or two of baby food at a time.

Roseanne, I did try some of the plain broth from boiling the fresh chicken yesterday. No go. Image

I don't have a good feeling about this. Medically, the next step would be an ultrasound, but that's not possible. His regular vet doesn't do them, and the place they refer to wants a silly amount of money just to walk in the door. I hate to think we aren't fixing something that can be fixed, but I'm starting to think his bowels are just too compromised to recover. Dunno. 

PostPosted: 03/08/12 2:25 pm • # 18 
Editorialist

Chaos333 wrote:
 He's refusing to eat. Literally turning his head away[/i]. Kiddo managed to get him to nibble a small handful of boiled chicken last night-maybe 2 ounces-that's all he had all day.  The meds list loss of appetite as a side effect, so we didn't give him any today, hoping his appetite will pick back up.  Desperate times call for desperate measures. Raided some $ from kiddo ( yes, we'll pay her back, lol) and got baby food, a vitamin paste and some "doggy-Ensure" type liquid diet. Got a small dose of vitamins in, and about 6oz of the liquid diet over several hours. He will lick a spoon or two of baby food at a time.

Roseanne, I did try some of the plain broth from boiling the fresh chicken yesterday. No go. Image

I don't have a good feeling about this. Medically, the next step would be an ultrasound, but that's not possible. His regular vet doesn't do them, and the place they refer to wants a silly amount of money just to walk in the door. I hate to think we aren't fixing something that can be fixed, but I'm starting to think his bowels are just too compromised to recover. Dunno. 

Damn, damn, damn! So sorry to hear this Chaos. Just heard from our boss (and neighbor) that their older cat is puking.......again and they were on the way to the vet. She's had trouble on and off over the last year or so. Changed her diet and it got better for a while. Changed again......same thing. She and her brother are our "adopted cats" that we love and we care for them while boss and wife are away several times a year.

Poor little critters. It's so tough when they are ill. Thinking good thoughts for Odin.

PostPosted: 03/08/12 2:39 pm • # 19 
Editorialist

Uh-oh. How old is the kitty?Image

PostPosted: 03/09/12 2:46 am • # 20 
Editorialist

I think she's around 13 or so.

PostPosted: 03/09/12 8:22 am • # 21 
Editorialist

I'm guessing if the vet ran labs, they aren't back yet, but do keep me updated on the poor kitty, roseanne.

Have a call in to talk to the vet at length tomorrow morning when he gets in. I think we're fighting a losing battle. He did try some of the special canned food this morning and seemed to like it, now won't touch it or the baby food or anything else. It's like he's willing to try something new once, but not twice. So my instinct is telling me that eating=pain. We'd keep going with meds as long as it took for him to recover if he would eat, but a dog that isn't eating normally for this long is trying to tell you something. 24+ hours without meds and still no appetite. (This started weeks ago!) There's been no change in the liquid (bloody) squirts so the Pepto isn't helping with that, though he hasn't thrown up in a while. 

Hubby took him out for a walk around the yard and he took one lap and wanted to come back in and lay down. I found a new toy that I'd stashed and gave it to him this morning, I thought it might cheer him up. He took it and laid back down. Last night, I was watching as his best friend Ittle the cat was sniffing at him as he slept...she literally backed up away from him. She knows. Spent the past hour talking is over with hubby. He knows. Talked to kiddo last night, she understands. We'll see what the doc has to say.

PostPosted: 03/09/12 9:38 am • # 22 
Editorialist

Chaos333 wrote:
I'm guessing if the vet ran labs, they aren't back yet, but do keep me updated on the poor kitty, roseanne.

Have a call in to talk to the vet at length tomorrow morning when he gets in. I think we're fighting a losing battle. He did try some of the special canned food this morning and seemed to like it, now won't touch it or the baby food or anything else. It's like he's willing to try something new once, but not twice. So my instinct is telling me that eating=pain. We'd keep going with meds as long as it took for him to recover if he would eat, but a dog that isn't eating normally for this long is trying to tell you something. 24+ hours without meds and still no appetite. (This started weeks ago!) There's been no change in the liquid (bloody) squirts so the Pepto isn't helping with that, though he hasn't thrown up in a while. 

Hubby took him out for a walk around the yard and he took one lap and wanted to come back in and lay down. I found a new toy that I'd stashed and gave it to him this morning, I thought it might cheer him up. He took it and laid back down. Last night, I was watching as his best friend Ittle the cat was sniffing at him as he slept...she literally backed up away from him. She knows. Spent the past hour talking is over with hubby. He knows. Talked to kiddo last night, she understands. We'll see what the doc has to say.

PostPosted: 03/09/12 11:59 am • # 23 
Editorialist

Latest on Calli, the kitty. No obstructions, blood work is fine but they did a dye test of her digestion and things are just moving too slowly. Going to do one more dye test to comfirm and then there is medication that can help.

Now her "mommy" is sick. Bad cough, chest pain, so she's on the way to the doctor for tests this afternoon. Sigh.

PostPosted: 03/09/12 12:20 pm • # 24 
[img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/frown.gif[/img]

PostPosted: 03/09/12 12:39 pm • # 25 
Editorialist

roseanne wrote:
Latest on Calli, the kitty. No obstructions, blood work is fine but they did a dye test of her digestion and things are just moving too slowly. Going to do one more dye test to comfirm and then there is medication that can help.

Now her "mommy" is sick. Bad cough, chest pain, so she's on the way to the doctor for tests this afternoon. Sigh.
Well, that sure does explain why her food keeps coming back up. Poor kitty. Poor mommy, too!

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   Page 1 of 5   [ 104 posts ] New Topic Add Reply