It is currently 05/04/24 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/22/08 1:08 am • # 1 

Boring true story alert!

Some songs resonate deeper than perhaps they would be expected to. Angel from Montgomery is one such song for me.

Music and my guitar have always been my safety net in life. More than a decade ago I damaged the ulner nerve in my left hand leaving my pinkie and ring finger numb and useless. I had to accept my playing days were over and my old buddy just hung there on the wall.

I heard Angel from Montgomery, (covered by Dave Matthews), and boom!
I was there in that kitchen with her, flies 'n all. I felt her frustration, the emptiness swamping her soul, her stifled silent scream. I HAD to play the song, tell her story, let her scream out.

I spent the next week in agony. My hand would cramp up in protest after trying to play for a few minutes. I let it pass and went straight back.
It might all sound melodramatic but she needed released and failure wasn't an option. Through dogged persistence, (ok, ok, bloody-minded stubbornness then), I got there eventually.

I was back playing again, slower, clumsier and with a lot of chord shapes no longer feasible to even think about trying, but I was at least playing. I went on to expand into mandolin, dulcimer and keyboards, (did I mention the stubborn bit?).

In Alabama prison parlance the Angel from Montgomery is a last minute pardon on death row.
In my attempt to release her, she released me, her scream was my scream and I am so eternally grateful that she helped me get it out.

My daughter went to see Bonnie Raitt in concert recently, when she sang Angel from Montgomery my girl burst into tears.

S'ok, you can all stop cringing now. Image

PostPosted: 12/22/08 2:21 am • # 2 
Administrator

PFFFFFT to "boring" ~ I'm not sure I've ever heard this song before ~ or if I have heard it, I just didn't pay attention ~ I'm sure it's on one or more of the Bonnie Raitt CDs that I play ~ and I will now think of you every time I hear it, FF ~ Image ~

Sooz

P.S. You're welcome to join me in my quest to raise "stubborn" to an art form ~

PostPosted: 12/22/08 2:32 am • # 3 
It was written by John Prine.
One of the great observers and story-tellers of our time imo.
The man who wrote the poignant Sam Stone whilst walking a mail route in Chicago.

PostPosted: 12/22/08 3:28 am • # 4 
Administrator

Chicago has a ton of [mostly small and intimate] clubs that showcase local talent ~ I saw John Prine perform several times when he was working that circuit and I always enjoyed him ~ personal anecdote: years and years ago, my dad took me to Mr Lucky's [I think that was the name ~ it was then a popular Chicago nightclub] to see what was touted as a "hot new act" ~ Mr Lucky's was small, seating well UNDER 100 ~ turned out the "hot new act" was Bette Middler, in one of her VERY early public gigs ~ she really blew the roof off that place that night ~ I also saw "CTA" in a very early public gig in a club seating less than 100 ~ CTA soon changed its name to "Chicago" ~ Image

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/31/08 2:46 pm • # 5 
I love the duet Bonnie did with John Prine on Angel from Montgomery.

PostPosted: 12/31/08 6:16 pm • # 6 
Administrator

Here's the duet, Thack ~ it really is haunting ~ and I bet FF will love this version, too ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 01/01/09 6:20 am • # 7 
Thanks, Sooz. I have Prine's album where he sings duets with various ladies.

PostPosted: 01/01/09 6:30 am • # 8 

PostPosted: 01/01/09 7:47 am • # 9 
Yes, I know this version. I'm a big fan of John Prine.
He's a humble man considering his achievements, always a good sign in my book.

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply