It is currently 03/28/24 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/08/13 9:33 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

Gilmour is pretty much done, imo. His last appearance when he reunited with Waters on his wall tour and performed comfortably numb was lackluster at best (age). Waters is a bit silly on stage these days and wants to be 20 again but fails miserably. This band, Brit Floyd, is an amazing reincarnation of the original band. You might recognize some of the members from another Floyd tribute group called Aussie Floyd. They broke away from Aussie Floyd and formed Brit Floyd. Amazing show. Take a listen.

Brit Floyd Youtube channel where you can find single vids and interviewes....
http://www.youtube.com/user/britfloydshow/videos

I don't get mad at the people, I get mad at the situation!

PostPosted: 12/10/13 7:16 am • # 2 
Editorialist

I disagree with you 1000%.

Gilmour is FAR from "done" and as far as I know has never done anything "lackluster". He's recording a new album with David Crosby and Graham Nash now.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/david-gilmour-new-album/

Waters is still amazing-plus-he seems to enjoy performing now more than he ever did. He smiles, he laughs, he engages the audience, with a healthy dose of political POV thrown in for good measure.

Any cover band of Floyd is at best a pale imitation. They didn't have to create any of it, they just ride the coattails of those who did.

PostPosted: 12/10/13 4:51 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

Only 1000%? Most true Floyd fans would be seeking me out to skin me alive for even acknowledging a Floyd tribute/cover band. LOL!

But.....

The lead guitar player in Brit Floyd, Damian Darlington, played for 'Aussie Floyd back in 1994 and actually performed a floyd set (an hour or so) at Gilmours 50th birthday party. Gilmour was more than impressed when he heard the band at a show in London leading to the invitation to play.

Here's an excerpt from the story:

Brit Floyd must put on a convincing show — they’ve got some high-profile fans.

Darlington recalled a concert with the Australian Pink Floyd Show shortly after he joined in 1994: “After we finished the gig and went back to the dressing rooms, David Gilmour knocked on the door [laughs], and it was obviously a great shock to us, a very nice one, and a big, big surprise.”

Pink Floyd invited the band backstage after a show in London. Then came another request.

“We got a call asking could we come and play at [Gilmour’s] 50th birthday party, and we even got paid for doing it [laughs], so it was a double bonus, although I’m sure we would have paid to play at David Gilmour’s party,” Darlington said. “Richard Wright, Nick Mason — other people such as George Harrison, he was there, Sting was there, Kate Bush was there, it was a wealth of stars from the music business and also from television who were there as well.

“We played for just one hour and when it came to play ‘Comfortably Numb’ at the end of the set, Rick Wright came up and asked very nicely and politely could he join us on keyboards, and we said of course,” Darlington said. “That’s how I had the pleasure of playing ‘Comfortably Numb’ with Rick Wright on Hammond next to me on stage.”

They have the stamp of approval from the 'real band'.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a huge Floyd Fan. But what Waters is doing today is nostalgic at best. And none of his support musicians are original band members and they get paid... He should hire Brit Floyd to back him...lol

The following vid helped form my opinion of Waters silly and Gilmour lackluster comment. The stage set and special effects were great. Waters stage persona seems rigid and forced. Not the laid back and cool Roger of yesteryear. David had a rough time with the solo's. It's to be expected with his age. Just sayin'...

I don't get mad at the people, I get mad at the situation!

PostPosted: 12/11/13 7:44 am • # 4 
Editorialist

Of course Waters stage persona during The Wall is rigid. That's the character. His performance during The Wall is very, very different from his other "non Wall" shows (and I've seen enough of them to make that observation) because he's performing musically and inhabiting a deeply disturbed character as part of the storyline.

Given that it was only the second time they'd played together in 30 years of course that iconic solo is bound to be a little rusty, it's not like Gilmour is playing it every night. Hardly a valid reason to declare him "washed up". Was it as smooth and silky as the album that night? No. But even though the guitarist on tour for The Wall when we saw it did play it spot-on-note-for-bend-for-note, something was missing. It was so spot-on it almost sounded like someone just put the album on backstage and piped it in. There was reverence and he did it justice, but no Gilmour mojo.

After soundcheck, the three took seats at a table in a backstage room and had a light dinner. "We were all just a little bit nervous, because it was a pre-show moment so it wasn't that sort of totally relaxed, 'Let's all chat about everything.' Since [David] hadn't played the track in so long, he was probably worried about the technology of lifting him up on the Wall. It's quite scary up there – I've been up there once and it's a long way up."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... z2nAkqDiNM
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Cover bands can be great, of course! (We have one in the Philly area that's pretty damn good too.) There's no pressure to create something new or make money for the record companies and nothing but sheer repetition of exactly the same set for years.

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply