It is currently 03/28/24 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Oldies
PostPosted: 08/17/19 5:54 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

I am watching the PBS pledge drive and they are playing oldies songs - someone explain to me how I can remember words to all those songs and can't remember what i had for dinner yesterday. And, I have a bad knee among other things and can't walk up steps only by one foot at a time - but I can dance to these songs while watching like I was a kid again :) Music is truly a lift to the soul no matter how old you are. In fact, the older you are the higher the lift :) It also brings the nicest memories of my husband back to me.

Post subject: Re: Oldies
PostPosted: 08/17/19 7:38 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

Music is the human substitute for howling at the moon.

Amazing what it can do for seniors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyZQf0p73QM

PostPosted: 08/17/19 8:03 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

Chaos333 wrote:
Music is the human substitute for howling at the moon.

Amazing what it can do for seniors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyZQf0p73QM

True. Many moons ago my son had a community theatre group and his company would go to senior homes and do little vignettes with lots of music involved. They loved it and came alive when the music was played. I helped and I loved watching them enjoying themselves.

Last edited by Karolinablue on 08/18/19 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 08/17/19 8:11 pm • # 4 
Administrator

Terrific description, KB! ~ :st

I'm an "oldies" lover ~ I have no understanding of, or itch to learn, about rap and current music ~ but the oldies always renew both happy and [fewer] sad memories for me ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 08/18/19 6:15 am • # 5 
Editorialist

sooz06 wrote:
Terrific description, KB! ~ :st

I'm an "oldies" lover ~ I have no understanding of, or itch to learn, about rap and current music ~ but the oldies always renew both happy and [fewer] sad memories for me ~

Sooz

I agree sooz. I know in each generation some usually criticize their kids music. Some went on to believe that rock and roll was corrupting young minds, and Elvis's gyrations gave the moral vapors to men and women alike lol, and the Beetles were looked upon as the be all and end all of music. I remember though, my Mom liking my music and I liked hers. When I was at work a majority of the young people I knew liked the oldies and did not like the music of their generation. I truly believe music went totally down hill in the 90's. Rap - forget and today a lot of the music is digitized and all they do is repeat the beat, and maybe three word lyrics over and over again. In general, I believe the days of creative and beautiful lyrics are long gone - and melodies have given way to digital thumping.

PostPosted: 08/24/19 11:03 am • # 6 
Editorialist

Quote:
I remember though, my Mom liking my music and I liked hers.

Me too! We were given a record player and dozens of 45's when I was a toddler. I grew up listening to that. Country, big band etc. Then I was exposed to early rock and roll when my older brothers listened to it. As a teen.......well, the golden years of rock imo. My Mom could dance and sing along with the best of them.

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply