It is currently 04/20/24 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
 Post subject: RIP Charlie Pride
PostPosted: 12/13/20 11:26 am • # 1 
Editorialist

First let me say that I've never been a huge country music fan, but "Kiss an Angel Good Morning" was a cross-over hit on plenty of "top 20" stations when it was released. I remember the assistant girl's advisor at school telling me he was black. I didn't know, lol.

Country music legend Charley Pride died Saturday at age 86, a representative for the singer announced.

Pride died in Dallas of complications from Covid-19, the release said.
Born on March 18, 1934, in Sledge, Mississippi, the singer was a sharecropper's son who rose to become country music's first black superstar.
His baritone voice was featured on more than 50 Top 10 country hits and he was the first Black member of the Country Music Hall of Fame.
He fell in love with the genre while listening to Grand Ole Opry radio shows in his youth.

But his first swing at professional success came when he played Negro League baseball at 16, eventually becoming an all-star player.
Pride sang in music clubs in his spare time but decided to make it a full-time endeavor after a failed tryout with the New York Mets.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/12/us/charl ... index.html

Bonnie Stiernberg
@aahrealbonsters
ยท
19h
Charley Pride died of COVID one month after performing at the CMAs, which were indoors and full of people not wearing masks. They gave him a Lifetime Achievement Award and promptly killed him. Disgusting.

Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ] New Topic Add Reply