It is currently 05/14/24 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
PostPosted: 02/08/09 3:21 am • # 1 
I'm not much for awarding prizes for any sort of creative work, whether films, TV, art, literature, or music. It will stand on its own and appeal to an audience without the help of awards. The award shows, for me, simply encapsulate what is popular at a given point in time.

I gravitate toward the written word, doing research, and music that is no longer fashionable: The blues, jazz, hard rock, and individual musical performances on one instrument. Hip Hop, Rap, Pop, and Country have little appeal to me. You know what's coming, and you get a dose of it.

My wife and I will watch the show, mainly out of habit, and we'll make an evening out of it, again, mainly out of habit. We'll do snick-snacks, popcorn, and a bad-for-our-diets meal. But, I will miss my music that I love. Fortunately, however, I will get to grump, gripe, and moan about how "This shit passes for music nowadays?!?"

PostPosted: 02/08/09 12:26 pm • # 2 
I used to be a big music fan and have a large collection of cds but I don't listen to the radio anymore and my cds are collecting dust. When I'm in the mood for some music now I listen to streaming radio stations on the web. If I remember, I may watch the Grammys but I don't feel any great compulsion to do so.

PostPosted: 02/08/09 5:24 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

in a word, no.

PostPosted: 02/12/09 4:55 pm • # 4 
I didn't even know they happened until a news story about them afterward. I'm not a fan of those award shows of celebrities patting each other on the back while giving boring speeches and showing off glittery dresses.

I have very eclectic tastes in music, but generally it's not for the overplayed stuff on the radio. There is a new radio station in the area, though, that I enjoy. Their slogan is, "We play anything, because we can." They'll play the B-sides of old albums, something country followed by something Top-40 from the 80s or 90s, then some blues or some old rock 'n roll, etc. The only problem is they aren't as strongly powered of a station as some others, so I lose them in some areas as I drive around. But they actually play real variety, not just "fad" music.

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply