It is currently 05/20/24 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
PostPosted: 11/28/11 12:24 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

I'm starting this thread to highlight controversial songs (lyrics or otherwise) thru-out the modern era. I'll add songs from time to time and try to include a brief description of the so called controversy involved with the particular song. Feel free to add your own!

[b]Into The Night

PostPosted: 11/28/11 6:03 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

this one takes the cake.

PostPosted: 12/11/11 2:44 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

Wow mac. I've never heard that. Bet it didn't get a lot of air play down south. 

PostPosted: 12/11/11 2:48 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

The Everly Brothers is the 1958 eponymous debut album of close harmony rock and roll duo The Everly Brothers. The album peaked at #16 on Billboard's "pop albums" chart and launched three very successful singles. Originally on the Cadence label, the album was re-released on LP in 1988 by EMI and on CD in 2000 by Emporio Records. Apparently, it was and still is a very popular album and it was re-released again in 2009 on 180 Gram Vinyl by Doxy music.

Hit singles

"I Wonder if I Care as Much" reached #2 on the 'pop singles" chart. "Bye Bye Love" and "Wake Up Little Susie" enjoyed crossover success. "Bye Bye Love" peaked at #1 on the "country singles" chart, #2 on the "pop singles" chart and #5 on the "black singles" chart. "Wake Up Little Susie" reached #1 on all three.

Two of the songs on this album are included in Rolling Stone's "500 Greatest Songs of All Time". "Bye Bye Love", #207 on the list, had been rejected by thirty musicians before The Everly Brothers agreed to record and release it, whereupon it remained on the charts for 27 weeks. "Wake Up Little Susie", song #311, was controversial enough as to be banned in Boston with its story of a teen couple who fall asleep during a boring film and wake far past curfew.

PostPosted: 12/12/11 7:23 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

roseanne wrote:
Wow mac. I've never heard that. Bet it didn't get a lot of air play down south. 

one can only imagine the affect it had on audiences back then.
her label refused to publish it, btw.  she had to get it pressed by a tiny independent on a one song contract release.
this performance is iconic for another reason.  Holiday had been diagnosed with liver disease at this point, and was
wasting away.  with only five months to live, she gave every ounce to this one, growling her way through with minimal accompanyment.  the rage and pain is palpable, in what is widely regarded as her signature piece.

Last edited by macroscopic on 12/12/11 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12/13/11 3:43 am • # 6 
Editorialist

Thanks for the background. Image

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply