It is currently 03/29/24 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
PostPosted: 07/20/09 4:25 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

self explanatory

PostPosted: 07/21/09 11:05 am • # 2 
Editorialist

I'm starting to remember what frustrated me about William S. Burroughs, and why I stopped reading his stuff. He's an incredible wordsmith--his images are creative, unique, very visual and blunt. But honestly? He's just way to dark for me. His images are ugly...seemingly for ugly's sake, half the time. I'm not saying there's not a place for dark emotions--we all have them, we all feel them, we all need to deal with them and not repress them...but he seems to really wallow. He gets down in the shit and rolls around, and doesn't come up for air. I found him tiring, after a point. Maybe I haven't suffered enough--LOL

As for the experimental writing--I like non-linear writing. It puts some responsibility on the reader to take the disjointed images and create meaning, and actively participate in the writing process. Some of the extreme cases, I thought some experimental writers abdicated their responsibility to actually create anything, but I don't think Burroughs ever went this far. There's still an awful lot there that he created, but what you end up doing with it, is kind of up to the reader.

PostPosted: 07/21/09 1:25 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

I found him tiring, after a point. Maybe I haven't suffered enough--LOL

oh no, i wouldn't say THAT! LOL!

i don't think that Burroughs suffered an unusual amount that he did not himself engender. he came from a privelaged background. but he does dwell on issues of drug use, perversion, death, torture, etc quite a bit. these issues are rarely discussed, so i find them interesting topically. but also his use of vernacular with academic language creates some rather interesting prose.

i actually like his spoken word stuff best. it is entertaining to listen to him read his own material, and a lot easier to grasp the humor in it, dark tho it may be.

Last edited by macroscopic on 07/21/09 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply