It is currently 05/20/24 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Warrior
PostPosted: 01/11/09 1:00 pm • # 1 
I'm having one of those days where my mind is stuck in history remembering things. This is my favorite painting. It was painted by Talmadge Davis, a Cherokee who honored Native American veterans with his work. This is Billy Walkabout.

Billy Walkabout
Cherokee

"…enemy elements again attacked the team. Maneuvering under heavy fire, Sergeant Walkabout positioned himself where the enemy were concentrating their assault and placed continuous rifle fire on the adversary…Although stunned and wounded by the blast, Sergeant Walkabout rushed from man to man administering first aid, bandaging one soldier's severe chest wound and reviving another soldier by heart massage…When evacuation helicopters arrived again, he worked single handedly under fire to board his disabled comrades. Only when the casualties had been evacuated and friendly reinforcements had arrived, did he allow himself to be extracted." GEORGE L. MABRY, JR., Major General, US Army, Chief of Staff

PostPosted: 01/11/09 2:08 pm • # 2 
Administrator

I have never seen Davis' work before ~ it is really extraordinary with all the emotions it raises ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 01/11/09 5:54 pm • # 3 

The enemy couldn't kill him, but we did with agent orange. Image

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
Billy Walkabout
March 31, 1949(1949-03-31) - March 7, 2007 (aged 57)
Place of birth Cherokee County, Oklahoma
Place of death Montville, Connecticut
Allegiance United States of America
Service/branch United States Army
Rank Second Lieutenant
Unit 101st Airborne Division
US Army Rangers
Battles/wars Vietnam War
Awards Distinguished Service Cross
Silver Star with Four Oak Leaves Clusters
Bronze Star (10 awards with Five "V" Devices)
Purple Heart (6 awards)
Air Medal with numeral "7"
Army Commendation Medal (10 Awards)
Relations Juanita Medbury-Walkabout (wife)

Billy Walkabout (March 31, 1949 - March 7, 2007) was thought to be the most decorated Native American soldier of the Vietnam War. He received the Distinguished Service Cross, five Silver Stars, ten Bronze Stars (including 5 with valor device), seven Air Medals, 10 Army Commendation Medals (including five with valor device), and six Purple Hearts.

Walkabout was born in Cherokee County, Oklahoma. He was a Cherokee of the Blue Holley Clan, the son of Warren Walkabout and Bobby Jean Chaudoin Walkabout.

Walkabout served as an Army Ranger in Vietnam, in the Co. F, 58th Infantry, 101st Airborne Division. He was awarded his Distinguished Service Cross for his actions in a reconnaissance mission behind enemy lines in November 1968. Under fire for several hours, Sergeant Walkabout was seriously wounded, three members of his 12-strong team were killed at the scene, and one other died later from his injuries. The citation for his award notes that he simultaneously returned fire, helped his comrades, and boarded injured soldiers onto evacuation helicopters. He spent six months in a coma, recovering, and later returned to Vietnam. He retired as a second lieutenant.

Billy has two sons Justin Walkabout who still resides in Oklahoma and Jason Knapp who is currently stationed in Georgia. Both sons have served in the Army. Billy also has a daughter Summer Dawn Walkabout currently stationed, with her husband Brian, in Georgia and Shane Allen Walkabout living in Texas with his wife Jeanette.

He married Juanita Medbury-Walkabout, a Mohegan Indian, in 2000. They lived in Montville, Connecticut.

He suffered from complications arising from exposure to the Agent Orange defoliant used in Vietnam. He was waiting for a kidney transplant, and took dialysis three times a week. He died of pneumonia and renal failure in a hospital in Norwich, Connecticut, survived by his wife and several children from earlier marriages.

PostPosted: 01/15/09 7:05 am • # 4 
Won't say much at this time, since i am still in process of getting familiar, but I did not know him, but I knew a few Marines that were half to 3/4 Indian, and they were great fighters...
WWIIwarrior

PostPosted: 01/16/09 4:27 am • # 5 

PostPosted: 01/16/09 12:05 pm • # 6 
Administrator

Another beautiful and touching painting ~ THESE are great examples of "a picture is worth 1,000 words" ~

Sooz

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply