It is currently 03/28/24 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: A Tribute to Howard Zinn
PostPosted: 02/01/10 2:41 am • # 1 
Editorialist

as some of you may know, America lost a great historian and social leader this week in Howard Zinn, who died on tour in Santa Monica:

http://articles.latimes.c...-howard-zinn28-2010jan28

my knowledge of Zinn comes exclusively from interviews he has done in his later life.  he appears in many documentaries on social justice and protest movements, and figures prominently in them.
i don't quite know how to describe how Zinn has effected me, but somehow he has.  i guess it is the idea that a person who comes from such humble beginnings can, through the force of his ideas alone,
obtain a sort of modest greatness, is inspiring to me.  it also reminds me that it is never too late to change, to grow, to care, and to hope for a better tomorrow.

God Bless you, Howard Zinn: a person i feel completely comfortable calling a Great American.

PostPosted: 02/01/10 3:11 am • # 2 
The social leaders of the Baby Boomer Generation are passing the torch on to a younger generation to carry on the struggle for justice. Obama is just the beginning...

PostPosted: 03/14/10 5:29 pm • # 3 
I am at times woefully ignorant--i never heard of Howard Zinn until now Image  but looking up the link, and reading about him, I must've been influenced by him at some time in my life, because i have felt for as long as i can remember that there was no such thing as a good (just?) war....I have hated the very concept of war for all my life...war to me means failure...I gather from what i read that Zinn felt the same.

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply