It is currently 03/28/24 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 39 posts ]
 Post subject: A question about art
PostPosted: 05/10/12 4:24 pm • # 26 
Administrator

Now what do you think of the photograph that just sold for a cool 3 mill?

Weimar. Republic. Inflation. Bread price. 1-Million-Reichsmark bank notes.
I know I'm differently wired.

PostPosted: 05/11/12 1:48 am • # 27 
Hey Roseanne, here's an article about corruption at the Calgary Art Gallery!! This is a pretty big deal...I don't know why people think they can get away with stuff like this.

Former Art Gallery of Calgary CEO charged with fraud

Valerie Anne Cooper, 56, of Calgary was arrested Wednesday and charged with six counts of fraud over $5,000 and one count each of theft under $5,000, mischief, obstruction and falsifying documents.

Photograph by: Leah Hennel , Calgary Herald

The former president and CEO of the Art Gallery of Calgary has been charged with fraud.

Calgary police launched an investigation in August after witnesses came forward alleging that the Art Gallery of Calgary had been defrauded of a substantial sum of money.

Police say the charges are connected to allegations dating back to July 2005, and that the loss to the gallery is believed to be more than $438,000.

Valerie Anne Cooper, 56, of Calgary was arrested Wednesday and charged with six counts of fraud over $5,000 and one count each of theft under $5,000, mischief, obstruction and falsifying documents.

The Art Gallery of Calgary recently launched a civil suit against Cooper. According to court documents, she charged $89,250 to the art gallery for supposed exhibition development that, it is alleged, went to her personal rental accommodation in downtown Calgary.

A further $185,129 was charged for gallery services and works of art supposedly purchased on behalf of the AGC. No such services were rendered and, according to the statement of claim, the art went to Cooper for her personal collection.

Other costs incurred include nearly $67,000 for travel expenses the gallery's board of directors claim they did not approve.

Other supposedly non-approved goods and services purchased unwittingly by the gallery for Cooper's benefit included more than $19,000 worth of massages, monthly parking, credit card fees, home maintenance and clothing purchases.

The total sum of false expense claims filed by the Art Gallery of Calgary against Cooper comes to $497,586.

The suit was launched on March 30, the day the gallery parted ways with Cooper.

PostPosted: 05/11/12 3:43 am • # 28 
Editorialist

The only reason I bring it up is because of your OP which seemed to have a questing nature to it. I thought that if you were curious enough to look up Calder and then trash him and all of abstract art, you might like to inform yourself on what you're trashing. Image Sometimes when we take the time to learn about other people and their processes it can be personally enriching. For example, I would be quite happy if professional sports did not exist but I like to read about the athlete's mindset/process/techniques etc. I can appreicate their professionalism without being in the least bit interested in watching or participating in any of it. Except for Olympic Pole Dancing maybe.

Now what do you think of the photograph that just sold for a cool 3 mill?

Well, I can't explain it any better. I either like it or I don't, regardless of any explanation. A piece of art must speak to me immediately or I move on. Same with music. I don't care why someone wrote it, if it sounds like crap to me. Perhaps I'm a snob that way, or maybe it's a selfishness.  

IMO, the photo would have been better had it focused more on one or two of the groups instead of the wide shot. A closer shot would have conveyed more of the horror.  Again, jmo. I sure as hell wouldn't pay $3.6 mil for it, lol.

I read that story the other day. Terrible.

What do you think of the art that jab posted?

Post subject: Re: A question about art
PostPosted: 07/27/16 7:36 am • # 29 
Editorialist

Thumbuddy gotta 'splain dis here t'me. $37,000,000?

https://news.artnet.com/market/37-milli ... zi-397053#

PostPosted: 07/27/16 8:55 am • # 30 
Administrator

Jeannedeurk1 wrote:
Thumbuddy gotta 'splain dis here t'me. $37,000,000?

https://news.artnet.com/market/37-milli ... zi-397053#

I generally like modern art ~ and I don't begrudge anyone their wealth ... but I can't help thinking how much good $37M could be doing if it weren't tied up in a painting that looks like something a preschooler would/could draw ~ :ey

Sooz

P.S. GOOD TO SEE YOU, JD!!!

PostPosted: 07/27/16 2:48 pm • # 31 
Editorialist

JD! Welcome back. I hope you are well and settled somewhere. Please post more often hon. :fl

As for the pricey "art", I can't 'splain it. Is that a red penis on the skeleton/man thing? :eek :lol

I'm with you sooz. That money could go a long way for many good causes. It's obscene how many wealthy people spend their money. I guess it's always been that way and will continue. Too bad that wealth or the possessions it may buy doesn't make them happy. I read somewhere that the psychology behind extreme purchases is really just a never-ending pursuit for something, anything that will make them happy. Sad, really. The same thing as with regular people who have a shopping addiction only on a grander scale.

PostPosted: 07/29/16 9:09 am • # 32 
Administrator

Auction houses frequently have their own people in the crowd whose job is to bid the prices up. Sometimes they bid too high and fail to make a sale.

PostPosted: 08/15/16 11:10 am • # 33 
Administrator

We just had an opportunity to buy a Group of Seven before it went to auction. Unfortunately the price was a bit out of reach.

PostPosted: 09/18/17 12:53 pm • # 34 
Which artist?

PostPosted: 09/24/17 4:14 pm • # 35 
Administrator

Sidartha wrote:
Which artist?

Sorry. Hadn't seen this.

Varley

PostPosted: 01/03/18 6:24 pm • # 36 
Administrator

Must see for those interested in "art".

Blurred Lines: Inside the Art World (2017)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5602204/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

PostPosted: 04/30/18 8:37 am • # 37 
Editorialist

Read an article about how this young boy is taking the art world by storm. I still don't get it, but then again I'm not an art critic:

http://www.advaitkolarkar.com/InsidePage/Paintings.aspx

PostPosted: 04/30/18 11:57 am • # 38 
Administrator

roseanne wrote:
Read an article about how this young boy is taking the art world by storm. I still don't get it, but then again I'm not an art critic:

http://www.advaitkolarkar.com/InsidePage/Paintings.aspx

There's nothing to "get". All it takes is a good promoter/agent.

PostPosted: 07/01/18 8:23 am • # 39 
Editorialist

After scrolling through a slide show of "people who never existed", I ran across this. I had to laugh. The rest of the slide show at the link is interesting too.

13. Pierre Brassau

Pierre Brassau was the brainchild of journalist Åke “Dacke” Axelsson, who, in 1964, attempted to prove that critics couldn’t tell the difference between Avante-Garde modern art and the work of a chimpanzee—a point he proved by actually enlisting the help of a chimpanzee and some watercolors. As it turned out, critics hailed Pierre Brassau as the next big thing—and were quickly disappointed to realize that he was only an ape.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/lifestyle/smar ... 9#image=14

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 39 posts ] New Topic Add Reply