It is currently 03/28/24 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
PostPosted: 02/26/12 2:11 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

Eeeeek! The Alien! The original art for ELP's Brain Salad Surgery....good grief!

http://www.hrgiger.com/lost.htm

Missing, Lost and Stolen HR Giger Artworks

Most of the artworks below have changed hands between collectors without my knowledge and, therefore, 
are lost to me. This is especially unfortunate in the case of paintings, since it is very important that they 
could be included in future retrospectives of my work. Having knowledge of their present location would 
also allow me to contact their current custodians and arrange for the opportunity to have these paintings 
professionally rephotographed because I do not have any good transparencies left from them, which are 
always needed by my publishers. 

In the case of missing paintings, the HR Giger Museum offers a $ 5,000 reward to anyone who will supply 
information leading to the recovery of these originals. For information leading to the return of the missing 
table, the dog armor, mask, or drawings, the reward is $ 1,000. Please be assured that all contacts will be 
held in the strictest confidence.

H.R.Giger, July 2008

PostPosted: 02/26/12 3:49 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

Chaos,

While far from the abilities of the creator of these lost artworks, I can assuredly feel the pain.   While the artist may retain hundreds of his works whereabouts, to never see those others, to  never know where they are, to not know they are protected must be causing some real suffering.

When I first participated in small exhibitions back in the 90's, I sold several of my paintings for chump change, and I didn't think of myself as a "real" artist.  Being homeless at the time, I had pictures stuck in my relatives homes and would only bring them out when I had an opportunity to exhibit. 

I did  not photograph them.  I did not get the names of the buyers.  And I now regret that I have nothing to show they ever existed.  I felt so proud of them when someone bought them, like one of my children had won an award. 

Later, when I discovered I could have been selling prints of those pictures for twice the price I had received for the originals, I felt really stupid.  I base the value of the pictures on the few I do have photographs of and what an appraiser has since assigned a value.

Again, I want to make it very clear that no way in hell was anything I've ever done as wonderful as this artist's creations, nor will they ever have the significance these have.  If whoever has them has a shred of human compassion, they will return them to the artist or his estate.  These are not just piddling on paper.  These are some fantastic creations which would never have existed had this artist  not existed.  Only by serendipity could any things even similar have been created.  It's more than a matter of money.  It's like knowingly withholding a part of the artist himself hostage.

I feel so sorry for his loss.

jd

PostPosted: 02/27/12 3:18 am • # 3 
Editorialist

This young man is fantastic! I don't know who created the video below, but it's also great. I'll try to post the painting that impressed me the most after the video.

https://www.thijmetermaat.com/

Well, I can't. hmph. Anyway, it's a painting of the face of an old woman. Incredible! You can find it on his site. He's captured every wrinkle. Her eyes express so much. What a talent.

PostPosted: 02/27/12 3:25 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

Well Jeanne...whenever someone asks "If you had it to do all over again, what would you do differently?"- you have your answer. ( Do you ever check internet art sites and whatnot under your name, as signed, to see if your lost art might turn up? You never know!) 

When people steal art, they don't just rob the artist, they rob everyoneImage 

PostPosted: 02/27/12 3:35 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

Roseanne...that's just awesome!!!!  (I wonder if he really does paint with both hands?) An art film about an artist creating art....bravo!

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply