It is currently 04/28/24 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Crock Pot tips
PostPosted: 03/26/12 3:47 am • # 1 
If you have anys tips of short cuts, please list them. I am always looking for ways to better use my crockpot (and yes, I am lazy about cooking whenever possible - after 30+ years, it does not hold the fun it used to LOL)

Converting traditional recipes is as good a place to start as any....

Recipe conversion from conventional to crockpot time:
15 to 30 minutes
   Low: 4 to 6 hours
   High: 1/2 to 2 hours
35 to 45 minutes
   Low: 6 to 8 hours
   High: 3 to 4 hours
50 minutes or more
   Low: 8 to 10 hours
   High: 4 to 6 hours

I orefer to cook raw meat and veggie combinations for at least 8 hours on Low. The veggies soften well, the meat tenderizes (that is why you can use the cheapest cut you choose) and the flavors really blend.

Reduce the liquid when using a traditional recipe in your slow cooker. Because there's no evaporation in slow cookers, foods tend to water down. So if your traditional recipe calls for 6 to 8 cups of water, you might want to start with 4-5 cups

Conversely, if your traditional recipe does not include any liquid, you'll want to add a half cup of water or broth

For stews and soups, put the veggies on the bottom and sides of your slow cooker, placing the meat on top

Most crockpot meals do not have to be stirred, but if you feel you must - add 20 minutes to the cooking time

If you live at a high altitude, increase cooking time 40-50%

Dense veggies (carrots, potatoes, etc) should be cut into piece no larger than 1" thick

Ground herbs and spices tend to dissipate over long cooking times. Add them near the end of the cooking time, not at the start

To roast in your crockpot, ball aluminum foil and cover the bottom of the pot. Place protein to be roasted on top

Here's a start. If there is more interest, let me know and I will add more as time goes on

PostPosted: 03/26/12 5:26 am • # 2 
Editorialist

We are at 3400ft above sea level and I found that I do not need to increase the cooking time at all. Maybe I have a "Canadian" crock pot that accounts for that. The temp is doubled and you add 30. ImageImage (reference to temp conversion. For +C temps you double it and add 30 to get F )

I had forgotten the foil tip, thanks for the reminder. Hubby likes lots of "au jus" for a roast, so it tends to swim in the liquid. I cook most everything for 8 hours or so on low, since I'm at work. Seems to work for me. I've never burned anything anyway. ha!

At one time there were so many recipes like one for meatloaf. I think you used a coffee tin....not sure. Even cake! Generally I do beef roasts and tenderloins (for pulled pork). Not much else. Any (SIMPLE lol) recipes would be appreciated.

PostPosted: 03/26/12 7:18 am • # 3 
OK. I have lots of those when I was working crazy long days. Will dig some out for you. Any protein in particular - chicken? beef? pork? (do not have as many of those as hubby does not like pork much)

I have a great meatball soup if you like that sort of thing. Lots of soups, actually

PostPosted: 03/26/12 7:30 am • # 4 
More crockpot tips

Might be some repeats in this because I was working off the top of me head earlier

~For most crockpots, the low setting is about 200º and the high setting is about 300º

~One hour on high is equal to 2 to 2 1/2 hours on low

~Most uncooked meat and vegetable combinations require at least 8 hours on low

~Beef cuts will be better cooked on low for 8-10 hours, while chicken can be cooked on high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours if you are in a hurry

~Spices may need to be reduced or increased. Whole herbs and spices increase their flavoring in a crockpot, while ground spices and herbs may lose some flavor. Add ground spices during the last hour of cooking. Whole herbs and spices will probably need to be reduced by half

~Rice, noodles, macaroni, seafood, Chinese vegetables and milk do not hold up well when cooked 8-10 hours. Add these to sauce of liquid about 2 hours before serving when using low, or 1 hour on high. I use instant white or brown rice added in the last 30 minutes or so.

~If you want to use milk in an 8-10 hour recipe, use evaporated milk

~Browning meats is a personal choice. It's not necessary, but may reduce the fat content if browned

~Sautéing vegetables isn't necessary except for eggplant which should be parboiled or sautéed due to it's strong flavor. You may want to decrease the amount of strong tasting vegetables since they will permeate the other foods in the crock pot with their full flavor

~Dry beans can be cooked overnight on low as an alternative to soaking. Cover with water and add 1 tsp of baking soda. Drain and combine with other ingredients. Be sure beans are softened before adding to any sugar or tomato mixture

~For soups, add water only to cover ingredients. If thinner soup is wanted, add more liquid at the end of the cooking time

PostPosted: 03/26/12 8:11 am • # 5 
Editorialist

MacBeth wrote:
OK. I have lots of those when I was working crazy long days. Will dig some out for you. Any protein in particular - chicken? beef? pork? (do not have as many of those as hubby does not like pork much)

I have a great meatball soup if you like that sort of thing. Lots of soups, actually

Mostly chicken and beef. We eat very little pork. Anything would be appreciated.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply