It is currently 05/15/24 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: Tilapia
PostPosted: 05/01/12 10:05 am • # 1 
Administrator

Bought a couple of fillets today.
We're cooking it with spinach and a side of rice.
If it turns out as good as we hope I'll post the ingredients we tossed into the pot.
We never measure anything so they aren't really "recipes".

PostPosted: 05/04/12 1:40 am • # 2 
Editorialist

Well? Our aunt loves the frozen tilapia. We've never tried it, but we're not big fish lovers. 

PostPosted: 05/04/12 11:17 am • # 3 
Administrator

So-so.
The basics were good but the seasoning was off.
Will try again as it had great potential.
Breaded fish with bread crumbs, Italian seasonng and grated parmesan and sauteed.
Cooked spinach in olive oil with onions and minced garlic.
Had rice with it.

Next time will use oregano and basil instead of Italian and will add garlic and capers to the fish instead of the spinach.
I'll add lemon juice to the spinach.
That ought to do it.

PostPosted: 05/06/12 12:17 am • # 4 
Editorialist

If it's a fresh lemon, might try some lemon zest instead of juice. Fragrant, but less acidic. I find that zest balances with garlic better. Just a thought.

PostPosted: 05/07/12 10:30 am • # 5 
Editorialist

Or try lemon pepper (the kind made with lemon zest) and garlic. Skip the breading and just sautee' naked with the seasonings

Anyone tried Basa fish? Some sort of vietnamese catfish. I've seen it frozen in the store, but haven't tried it. Since we are not very keen on seafood of any kind, it's hard to know what to try. So far, it's only been frozen, breaded Cod and that sort of thing.

I absolutely love fried, southern catfish! Breaded and deep fried with some cole slaw and hushpuppies. Yummmm. Not good for me, but damn delicious. Hubby hasn't had it.........yet. I think our next trip down, we'll go to a resturaunt that raises it's own catfish. Fresh caught and cooked. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. Image

PostPosted: 05/07/12 11:09 am • # 6 
Administrator

Tried catfish in VA. Wasn't impressed with eating mud.

PostPosted: 05/08/12 1:16 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

lol oskar! VA? Well hell's bells, no wonder. You gotta go deep down south and get some fresh farm raised catfish. Only in the deep south do they know how to prepare it. VA is NOT the south, as much as they love to claim it. As far as southerners are concerned, they are damn yankees. Image

PostPosted: 05/08/12 1:43 pm • # 8 
Administrator

Try to avoid farmed fish as much as possible.

PostPosted: 05/09/12 12:09 am • # 9 
Editorialist

Maybe 50 years ago. Considering all the crap that is in our lakes, streams and seas, farmed fish can be a good choice. Better than fish with a side of crude and dispersants, or with Oxycontin and GHB. Image 

PostPosted: 05/09/12 9:08 am • # 10 
Administrator

roseanne wrote:
Maybe 50 years ago. Considering all the crap that is in our lakes, streams and seas, farmed fish can be a good choice. Better than fish with a side of crude and dispersants, or with Oxycontin and GHB. Image 
Meanwhile, the fish farms are polluting because of the high concentrations of offal and feces.

PostPosted: 05/11/12 4:43 am • # 11 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
roseanne wrote:
Meanwhile, the fish farms are polluting because of the high concentrations of offal and feces.

True. My favorite are the resturaunts who have a pond on site and serve fresh caught. They are not "farms" in the usual sense, because they don't raise them for any other use or industry. In Alabama, there are dozens of catfish ponds on private land that allow you to pay a fee to fish, and then you pay a nominal amount per pound when you are done. They aren't farms either.

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ] New Topic Add Reply