It is currently 05/15/24 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ]
 Post subject: Peanut Butter dilemma
PostPosted: 10/07/12 10:38 am • # 1 
Editorialist

Sigh. We bought some Jif peanut butter while in the states since we can't get it here. :angry

The last time we bought it, a year ago, it still contained peanut oil. No longer. They've taken their cue from the other companies and sell the peanut oil, adding other oils to their peanut butter. Currently, there are no commercial peanut butters that contain peanut oil. The only kind are the "natural". Even then, you must read the label.

Do any of you use natural peanut butter? Do you bother to keep it in the fridge? I abhor cold, hard peanut butter, especially if I want a PB&J sandwich. I'd rather stir it every time. I think the fridge is suggested to keep the oil from separating.

I have to admit that Jif still tastes and smells better than the Kraft we are forced to buy here. (of the national name brands). It's the only one that is carried. :( It's bland and doesn't have near the peanut taste.

PostPosted: 10/07/12 8:09 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

I've used Skippy PB all my life. Jif always tasted sort of burnt to me. But now I'm wondering what kind of oil is in Skippy. LOL

PostPosted: 10/08/12 8:29 am • # 3 
Editorialist

The same crap that is in all the others, Chaos.

Funny that I ate Peter Pan all of my life, then came here where they don't sell it. Switched to Jif and was happy with that. In fact, the first time I had Peter Pan again (after 3 years), it tasted way too sweet for me, lol.

After we eat the 4 small jars of Jif :o we bought on the trip, I'm going to try some natural. It shouldn't take long. Hubby eats PB sammiches for lunch every weekday. I used about 1/3 of a jar to make some cookies and I eat it on toast.

PostPosted: 10/08/12 9:27 am • # 4 
Administrator

Taste is funny ~ I grew up eating Skippy, but switched to Jif many years ago ~ Jif tastes "fresher" to me ~ my mother is a big fan of "natural" peanut butter ~ her favorite is Trader Joe's own brand ~ and yes, she refrigerates it once the jar is opened ~ I've tried both Jif and Skippy "natural" ~ to my taste, the texture seems different/heavier ~

I kinda/sorts remember we once had a thread on making fresh nut butters ~ I'll try to find that and bump it up again ~ it would be mega easy to use the oil you want to use/eat if making your own ~

Have you tried Nutella, roseanne? ~ YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM ~ it's wonderful on toast or a toasted English muffin ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 10/08/12 11:44 am • # 5 
Editorialist

Trader Joe's? Yikes! Be careful.

The voluntary recall of salmonella-tainted peanut and almond butter has expanded beyond Trader Joe’s stores to include more than 70 products sold nationwide.

http://melrose.patch.com/articles/graft ... t-wal-mart

I don't really like the taste of Nutella and I recently read this (or heard it on tv, lol)

Fooducate reports that Nutella has settled a class action suit filed by a San Diego mom who felt she was misled into believing it was a healthy breakfast item. That mom must have been shocked when she discovered the truth!!

If you want to know if a food is healthy, the best strategy is to ignore everything the manufacturer says and look at the ingredients.

The first ingredient (that means there is more of it than anything else) in Nutella is sugar. You don’t want to send your kids off to school on a breakfast based on sugar, (and don’t forget, the bread you spread your Nutella is basically sugar too). :

http://www.ruthsrealfood.com/2012/05/br ... ealth.html

I will probably not bother to make my own nut butters. I'm not that ambitious. :b The lazy soul that I am wants a commercial peanut butter that contains just the good things. I'll be looking for a peanut butter that lists one ingredient: Peanuts. I'm certain that it's out there somewhere.

PostPosted: 10/08/12 9:45 pm • # 6 
Administrator

Quote:
misled into believing it was a healthy breakfast item.

What? That's just nonsense! Everything Ferrero produces is delicious and healthy.
Who cares about that 50% sugar, those 11g fat in a 37g serving? Who the fu%# figures out those serving sizes anyway?
I think we can agree that the skim milk used in Nutella is healthy.
Did I mention I use butter on a Chicago hard roll before I add lots of Nutella?

On the other side, I don't touch peanut butter with a 10 foot pole.

PostPosted: 10/09/12 12:15 pm • # 7 
Administrator

Try a knife instead.

PostPosted: 10/10/12 7:19 am • # 8 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:

Try a knife instead.

Many times I use a spoon! :o You can't be "Southern" and not eat peanut butter (unless you're allergic). It's almost as sacrilegious as not liking college football.

PostPosted: 10/17/12 2:40 pm • # 9 
Editorialist

I prefer eating my peanut butter from a spoon too. And Skippy or Jif (or one of those companies) is making thier own version of Nutella.

PostPosted: 10/17/12 2:45 pm • # 10 
Editorialist

If you crave a Reese's moment, take a big spoonful of PB, make a well in the center with your tongue (it doesn't stick), then pour in some chocolate syrup. It's GREAT! It takes about 3 times to get the proper ratio. So, you suck off some of the peanut butter along with the "well" of syrup. Then you make another well in the remaining PB, and so forth.

Be careful though. If you're like me, you'll have chocolate syrup decorations on your shirt. LOL! I tuck in a tea towel when I do this. :o My version of an adult bib.

PostPosted: 11/01/12 4:10 pm • # 11 
Editorialist

Down to the last 1/3 jar of Jif. :\'(

Time for a trip across the border! lol

PostPosted: 02/04/13 3:33 pm • # 12 
I use natural and I store it upside down to stop it from separating, no cold PB for me either

PostPosted: 02/04/13 4:20 pm • # 13 
Administrator

Do you have a Trader Joe's near you, MP? ~ their house brand of natural nut butters are the best I've found ~ I am hooked on the cashew butter ~ :o

Sooz

PostPosted: 02/04/13 7:20 pm • # 14 
Editorialist

mpicky wrote:
I use natural and I store it upside down to stop it from separating, no cold PB for me either

Ok, but do you mix it first? Wouldn't it just separate at the bottom (which becomes the top)?

Didn't Trader Joe's have a big recall?

PostPosted: 02/05/13 7:37 am • # 15 
Administrator

Try Loblaw's

http://www.presidentschoice.ca/LCLOnlin ... ctId=17085

PostPosted: 02/05/13 8:46 am • # 16 
sooz06 wrote:
Do you have a Trader Joe's near you, MP? ~ their house brand of natural nut butters are the best I've found ~ I am hooked on the cashew butter ~ :o

Sooz

I do have a TJ but I have not tried their PB. Brian will only eat Jiff Low Fat. I got this stuff called PB2, which is powdered peanuts with the fat removed. You mix with water to make a peanut butter. I only use the powder in my protein shakes, I guess I am not a huge PB sandwich eater.

PostPosted: 02/05/13 8:47 am • # 17 
roseanne wrote:
mpicky wrote:

Ok, but do you mix it first? Wouldn't it just separate at the bottom (which becomes the top)?

Didn't Trader Joe's have a big recall?

From what I gather, it makes it easier to mix up.

http://remarkablydomestic.com/2011/03/1 ... ut-butter/

PostPosted: 02/05/13 9:49 pm • # 18 
Editorialist

Ok, now I'm confused (doesn't take much these days, lol). I thought you said you did that with natural PB so you didn't have to mix it.

In any event, thanks for the link that led me to the following. READ THE POST and the comments for a good laugh. Dirty women.......just my kind. :angel :rollin

http://fraught.wordpress.com/2009/01/03 ... tree-2008/

PostPosted: 02/05/13 11:02 pm • # 19 
I love peanut butter and also eat it by the spoonfuls and I so love chocolate but put them together and I want to throw up. I can't stand Reese's Pieces.. I also have tried the natural peanut butter but have not found any brand that is creamy enough for me so I stick with the top brands of regular creamy, which ever happens to be on sale at the time.

PostPosted: 02/06/13 8:42 am • # 20 
Administrator

"Regular" peanut butter generally contains salt, sugar and/or molasses, possibly emulsifiers and hydrogenated oil(s).

Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ] New Topic Add Reply