It is currently 05/20/24 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Cheese , Please
PostPosted: 11/04/12 8:17 pm • # 1 
Administrator

We had a treat this evening.
We got our hands on some classic Oka and some local "Camenbert"-type cheese that was so ripe it literally oozed.
Both were very pungent and Excellent.
A bottle of Chianti and a baguette helped.

Post subject: Re: Cheese , Please
PostPosted: 11/05/12 11:43 am • # 2 
Editorialist

I've never had Oka, but from what I've read it sounds yummy!!

PostPosted: 11/05/12 3:25 pm • # 3 
Administrator

Don't buy the Oka cheese made by Kraft. It's horrible.

PostPosted: 11/05/12 4:35 pm • # 4 
Administrator

I've never heard of Oka ~ any way to describe it?

And speaking of cheese ... we went to dinner at a local, fairly upscale diner last night ~ it has great food, very reasonable prices, and a parking lot! ~ :b ~ anyway, back to cheese ~ one of last night's "dinner specials" was mac 'n cheese, which is one of my favorite "comfort foods" ~ this mac 'n cheese was spectacular ~ it used penne, smoked gouda, chopped bacon, and chopped roasted onions ~ then baked til the top got crusty ~ I could feel my veins closing, but it was DELICIOUS!

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/05/12 5:31 pm • # 5 
Administrator

oskar576 wrote:
Don't buy the Oka cheese made by Kraft. It's horrible.

Kraft makes cheese?
You North Americans sure are funny.

PostPosted: 11/05/12 5:37 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

First a little history of Oka:

Oka cheese was originally manufactured by the Trappist monks, who are located in Oka, Quebec, Canada. The cheese is named after the town. It has a distinct flavour and aroma, and is still manufactured in Oka, although now by a commercial company, the rights having been sold in 1996 by Les Peres Trappists. It is also manufactured in Holland, Manitoba, by Trappist Monks at their monastery, which is located 8 miles South East of Holland.

It originated in 1893. Since that time, Quebec has become a major producer of Canadian Cheese. Oka cheese has a pungent aroma and soft creamy flavour, sometimes described as nutty and fruity. The cheese, which is made from cow's milk is covered with a copper-orange, hand-washed rind. Its distinct flavour sets it apart from more common cheeses such as colby and cheddar, and does not go through a cheddaring process.

There are four types of Oka cheese, regular, classic, light and providence.[1] 'Regular' Oka can be made from both pasteurized and raw cow's milk. It is a pressed, semi-soft cheese that is surface ripened for some 30 days. The 'Classic' is ripened for an additional month. Aging is done in refrigerated aging cellars. The cheese rounds are placed on cypress slats and the cheeses are periodically turned and hand washed in a weak brine solution. 'Providence' Oka is of a much more creamy and soft texture then either 'Classic' or 'Regular', while 'Light' is similar to 'Regular', but with a lower percentage of fat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oka_cheese

Then this about the flavor:

Taste: ‘Regular’ Oka lacks the deep, penetrating flavors of the longer-ripened ‘Classic’ Oka. Both cheeses have a distinctively flavored taste of the delicate subtleties of fresh, mellow nuttiness and fruitiness; it is also mellow, smooth, creamy and and butterly. It is a taste that becomes more pronounced with the passing of time. Its texture is smooth and creamy.

Aroma: Its light aroma is akin to a complex nut-like fermentation.

Attributes: tends to melt quickly

http://www.french-at-a-touch.com/Gourme ... nadian.htm

oskar, I'll look in some specialty stores or my fave grocery store that tends to carry specialty cheeses.

PostPosted: 11/05/12 7:29 pm • # 7 
Administrator

Definitelt the older "Classic" if you can.
BTW, it really stinks so be prepared.

PostPosted: 11/16/12 10:32 am • # 8 
I am such a cheese lover. I can't eat any kind of sandwich without putting cheese on it. My brother makes macc & cheese from scratch like our mom used to make and it's so delicious.

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply