It is currently 05/20/24 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/02/12 7:08 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

Half buffalo style, half honey garlic. About halfway done right now. Smells weird with both of them, lol. Not sure how they will taste, but turning them it looks like we may have to add sauce for dipping on the side. No problem, we've got plenty.

Going to go simple and have them with rice. Can always toss some of the sauce with the rice too!

I LOVE honey garlic!! Found a VH brand that tastes great. Now I gotta buy some riblets to try it with next time .

What a shame that wings are so popular now. :grin Expensive! I remember when you could get them dirt cheap because they were considered "waste" when they cut up a chicken to sell the parts. Most people used them for stock and such.

PostPosted: 12/03/12 7:20 am • # 2 
Editorialist

Yup....I was shocked at how much raw wings cost these days. It made trying to figure out how to make buffalo wings at home much less fun.

I never could get the texture I wanted by baking, though they didn't taste bad.

PostPosted: 12/03/12 11:18 am • # 3 
Administrator

VH has good tasting products.
Don't know what's in them, though. Probably petroleum by-products or something.

PostPosted: 12/03/12 3:31 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

LOL oskar. We switched to VH soy sauce when we couldn't find our favorite, China Lily. It was a good substitute. If you can find that, it has a much richer taste than any other. Kikkoman soy sauce is horrible. Very salty and tastes like soy flavored water.

The wings turned out ok. Not great and certainly not worth the effort, time and cost. I think we'll stick with "store bought" or Pizza joint wings when we crave them.

PostPosted: 12/03/12 4:31 pm • # 5 
Administrator

Read and weep. ;)

http://www.yumsugar.com/Your-Soy-Sauce- ... uce-254664

PostPosted: 12/03/12 4:32 pm • # 6 
Administrator

That said, try adobo. DIL is Filippina and it's a great way of enhancing cheap cuts of meat/poultry.
'Course, she gets all the proportions right.
I flounder about and have mixed results.

PostPosted: 12/03/12 7:35 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

It's really funny, but when China Lily (made in Canada) was nowhere to be found, I actually found a group that was posting about it. Everyone there was looking for the stuff and agreed with us about the flavor.

One person finally called the factory and found out it was being re-tooled. When it finally appeared again, we bought 4 bottles.......just in case.

Adobo sounds really good! I found about 10 very different recipes. Perhaps your DIL would let you share hers.

Your cooking style sounds like mine. A little of this, a pinch of that and 1/4 cup of whatever until it tastes good. My girls get frustrated with me when they ask for one of my recipes. Then they ask how long to cook/bake something. I say "until it's done!" lmao, that is seriously the way I do it. An approximate time, then keep an eye on it until it's done. Cooking in the Crock Pot is the only exception. I cook things in it on low until I get home after work. Hasn't failed me yet.

PostPosted: 12/03/12 7:39 pm • # 8 
Administrator

Perhaps your DIL would let you share hers.

Her "recipe" is look-in-the-cupboard-and-fridge-and-see-what's-there.

PostPosted: 01/12/13 6:20 pm • # 9 
Not very creative when it comes to chicken wings--I just drizzle a little olive oil on them and bake them and when they're almost done I slather on Sweet Baby Ray's barbecue sauce and call it good...

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply