It is currently 05/26/24 2:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
PostPosted: 05/05/13 4:24 pm • # 1 
Administrator

Tried to make an omelet... again.
It tasted great but looks like a dog's breakfast.
Any hints?

P.S. I can't master pancakes, either.

PostPosted: 05/05/13 9:46 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

You buy one of those hinged omelette pans. Viola'! Perfect. :angel

My pancakes come out perfect! Bisquick recipe and a teflon coated griddle. I did buy a GIANT spatula at the loonie store for turning. That helps a lot! The main thing is to be patient before you turn. Too soon and it's splitsville.

PostPosted: 05/07/13 4:15 pm • # 3 
Administrator

That's cheating.

PostPosted: 05/09/13 10:59 am • # 4 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
That's cheating.

SO? I am all for cheating when it comes to cooking. I hate to cook, love to bake. Unfortunately, I love to bake sweets and if I do that I eat way too much. I did figure out how to halve a banana pudding the other day. It was good and just the right amount for a couple of servings each.

Cooking scares me, rofl! I am not adventurous. My youngest daughter tries all sorts of recipes she finds on the net, with hubby and kids happily experimenting with her.

Part of it is that I was married to a very picky man for 20+ years. No cheese to speak of, no spicy stuff, so our meals were pretty bland. Now I'm married to an equally picky man who doesn't like most veggies, but loves cheese and spicy dishes. Sigh.

PostPosted: 05/09/13 8:57 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

I can only tell you how I do it, which many not be the healthiest way...get everything ready ahead of time, and within reach, filling, spatula, butter, ice water.

3 eggs, whip 'em up.

Pan over medium-high heat. Nonstick is better. Add a pat of butter, it should sizzle and bubble up, swirl that around and up the sides.

Before you pour the egg in, add about a tablespoon of *ice water*. Whip it up quick and into the pan. Should start to bubble/sizzle as soon as it hits.

As the bottom starts to firm, lift around the edges while swirling the pan to get the uncooked egg under what you lift up. The middle will still be a bit "wet".

Keep the pan moving, shake it back and forth (like making Jiffy Pop popcorn, lol) the egg should be sliding around in there and the bottom getting a little golden brown. Add your fillings to half the omelette on the far side of the pan away from the handle. Keep shaking the pan until the filling is heated through.

Off the heat, til the pan away from you until the cooked edge of the omelette touches the plate, slide halfway so the filling side is on the plate, then flip the other side over.

Voila!

PostPosted: 05/09/13 9:13 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

Slightly different way....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApmQYzW-xK4

PostPosted: 05/12/13 3:38 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

I'm lousy at the turning them over bit as well Oskar, so I usually resort to a Spanish or Chinese style "omelet" where you cook them all the way through. Makes it a LOT easier!

PostPosted: 05/13/13 2:54 pm • # 8 
Administrator

I call those "bashies".

PostPosted: 05/13/13 3:22 pm • # 9 
Administrator

Chaos' instructions are how I was taught ~ sometimes I'm successful, sometimes not ~ the real key is making sure the bottom is fully set and tilting pan while lifting sides of omelets to let the uncooked portion run underneath to be set/cooked ~ the other option, oskar, and one I have resorted too [especially if I'm feeding several] is to make the omelet "frittata style" ~ I allow the egg mixture bottom to set, then add whatever toppings [cheese, onions, diced bacon, whatever], leaving it "open-face" [no tipping pan and no flipping into half circles] and finish it off under the broiler for a few minutes ~ if you're cooking for several people, it's very easy to do frittata-style in a BIG skillet and cut the omelet into wedges [like pizza slices] to serve ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 05/15/13 11:18 am • # 10 
Editorialist

I don't like firm eggs, so when I've done them I've let the bottom set, lift it once, add the filling and flip out. I like the inside to be moist.

Same way with plain scrambled eggs. I love them soft and fluffy. I think because my Mom would add evaporated milk and use her egg beaters to make them light an airy. I refuse to eat hard scambled eggs. Hubby prefers them that way so when I do breakfast, we each cook our own. :b

Now that I think about it, I don't like any hard eggs except for maybe hard boiled in an egg salad. I like soft poached and over easy.

PostPosted: 05/22/13 6:16 am • # 11 
Administrator

Now that I think about it, I don't like any hard eggs except for maybe hard boiled in an egg salad. I like soft poached and over easy.

Me too.
Wife is like your hubby.
I usually remove my share from cooking before hers and it works out fine.

PostPosted: 05/25/13 4:55 pm • # 12 
Administrator

Soft boiled eggs
Florida sea level: exactly 5 minutes
Munich: exactly 3.55 minutes.

PostPosted: 06/21/13 7:11 pm • # 13 
Editorialist

I can't make any sense of that Jab ....

At sea level water boils at a higher temperature than at higher elevations (that's why you can't make a decent cup of tea on top of mount Everest), so you would expect it to take longer in Munich than in Florida .....

Personally if I want a soft boiled egg I just put the egg in cold water and then bring it to the boil. By then the white is firm and the yolk is still runny.

PostPosted: 06/21/13 9:22 pm • # 14 
Administrator

I can't either. I think it's age-related that I post nonsense.
Of course it's just the opposite.

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply