It is currently 05/18/24 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: "Raizin" Bran muffins
PostPosted: 09/29/13 10:31 am • # 1 
Editorialist

From my Mom's written recipe. As a side note, it is written on th back of a mail-out dated Nov/Dec 1981, from a hospital that was in our area, but no longer exits. They moved to another site, which is mentioned as "planned" for completion in 1984, but it has since been sold to another hospital group.

Since the mixture will keep for 6 weeks covered in the fridge, it's a great quick breakfast in the winter. Spoon into muffin tin first thing in the morning and you have a warm, filling, nutritious breakfast for a busy family. Can be grabbed going out the door to work or school.

5 cups flour (substitute oatmeal 2-1 for part of the flour) *I recommend this for nutritional reasons. I think I subbed for 2, so it would be:
3 cups flour (self rising)
4 cups oatmeal (quick cooking)
15oz of "Razin" Bran
4 eggs, slightly beaten
1 quart buttermilk
1 tsp salt (I never added that since there is salt in the self-rising flour)
2 c honey (1 1/2 is written by the side, so I assume we tweaked the recipe)
3 tsp soda (if self rising flour is used, 5 tsp if not)

*I don't remember the mixing or baking instructions and they aren't written down, so I found this online for a similar recipe, tweaked it. I"m sure it's a good way to do it and sounds familiar.*

"Preheat oven to 375 °F (190 °C). Butter nonstick muffin pans or line with paper liners.

In a bowl, combine cereal and buttermilk; let stand for 5 min. In another large bowl, combine flour, oatmeal, baking soda and salt. Whisk egg and honey, stir into milk mixture. Pour over dry ingredients and stir just until moistened.

Spoon into prepared muffin pan. Bake for about 25 min or until tops are firm to the touch. Let cool in pan for 5 min. Transfer to rack to cool completely."

Yummy with a dab of butter too!
I'll be making these when it gets colder out and let you know............

PostPosted: 10/13/13 11:31 am • # 2 
Editorialist

Made 1/2 recipe and have a 6 count muffin tin in the oven now. The batter tasted great (lol) and have tons left over in the fridge!

If it turns out ok, this may become my go-to breakfast for the winter months.

PostPosted: 10/13/13 12:15 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

Yummm! They are good. Not too sweet with the reduction in honey. Very moist.
I baked them only 20 min. at 375F

The only thing I would do differently is not use the paper liners. Although more of a clean-up, I love the "crust" around a muffin/cupcake. With the liners, you don't get that.

A couple (these were small) with a glass of milk and that's my lunch for the day.

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply