It is currently 05/20/24 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Bulgogi and Katsu
PostPosted: 01/26/14 1:12 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

We ended up eating at the hotel restaurant on our little getaway. Hubby craving steak, since it was on the room-service list. No dice. They have gone to an all-Asian menu with a few "western" things like burgers and chicken fingers.
Not really wanting the usual stuff, we asked our server to recommend a few things.

Hubby had Bulgogi, a Korean dish. OMG, it's wonderful! Served on a hot plate over cabbage which is a no-go for hubby who would've preferred rice, but we both got sticky rice on the side anyway.
Very flavorful and tender.

Bulgogi Recipe – Korean Barbecue Beef 불고기
Author: Savory Sweet Life
Recipe type: Main
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 25 mins

Serves: 4

An easy recipe for Korean Barbecue Beef.
Ingredients

1-1.5 lbs. of thinly sliced rib-eye steak purchased from a Korean market. Or you can slice your own rib-eye or sirloin steak across the grain in paper thin slices. Partially freezing the beef helps with cutting clean slices.
⅓ cup of soy sauce or for a Gluten-Free variation, use San-J Organic Tamari Wheat Free Soy Sauce found in the health food section of your local grocery store.
3 Tbl white sugar
1 Tbl sesame oil
3 cloves of garlic, minced
¼ of a medium yellow onion, halved and sliced into medium moon shaped slivers
2 green onions including the white parts, finely sliced into small pieces
2 Tbl toasted sesame seeds
¼ tsp of red pepper flakes
2 pinches of black pepper
optional ¼ tsp. of ginger, finely minced

Instructions

Whisk all the ingredients together in a medium bowl except beef and onions. When most of the sugar has dissolved, add beef and onion slices to the bowl and massage the marinade with your hands into each slice of beef. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. To pan fry, place a few slices of beef in single layers and completely flat on a hot oiled frying pan and fry each side until cooked. Some people prefer to cook the bulgogi until some of the edges have turned dark brown and crispy. Serve with a bowl of hot rice. Enjoy!

http://savorysweetlife.com/2009/07/mari ... qued-beef/

I had Katsu, a Japanese dish. I would describe it as chicken schnitzel (there was a pork option) with panko breading, covered with BBQ sauce (house made). Slaw on the side. Wonderful! Very tender.

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - pounded to 1/2 inch thickness

salt and pepper to taste

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1 egg, beaten

1 cup panko bread crumbs

1 cup oil for frying, or as needed

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-katsu/

We both had very generous servings. We also got a starter salad with house-made dressing. It had onion and crushed poppy seed with a white base (maybe yogurt?), but the chef wouldn't give up the recipe. Delicious!, so I'm on the search.... The lettuce was fresh and crisp with a wedge of tomato and a couple slices of cucumber.

He had wine, I had water. Total bill around $31! That was with the 10% guest discount.

The dishes were things we probably wouldn't have ever tried, but being sort of forced into it, I'm glad we did! We so often get in a rut with our eating habits.

Did a search and there is a Bulgogi House here. :D

Post subject: Re: Bulgogi and Katsu
PostPosted: 01/26/14 4:58 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

Just an added tidbit when I was researching the Bulgogi. It was rated the 23rd best dish out of 50 worldwide in some epicurean poll. I can understand why.

Post subject: Re: Bulgogi and Katsu
PostPosted: 07/14/14 2:34 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

Yum!!!!!

I really like Korean food, but its almost impossible to get where I live.
And as much as I like Kimchi the recipes I've seen for it scare me!

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply