It is currently 04/23/24 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
PostPosted: 10/10/14 7:43 am • # 1 
Editorialist

So, besides having a long weekend (yea! and pray to FSM there are no leaks or floods lol), we will be sharing a meal with some family members on Saturday. Hubby's aunt who recently returned from down under and whom we haven't seen since July, and his cousin's son and girlfriend (who is a DOLL).

We have our "famous" bruschetta already marinating. YUM. Made some in Port Elgin with the delicious fresh tomatoes. Heavenly. We bought tomatoes "on the vine" for this one. Similar enough.

I will be making my "famous" corn casserole. Bought the Shoepeg corn when we came through Great Falls. Recipe below from an Alabama gal. Tons of fat, but what are holiday's for? Indulgence. We have it once a year.

3 cans shoe peg corn
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 stick butter (softened)
1 8oz carton of whipping cream

Mix the butter and flour together to form a paste. Drain corn and mix with the flour/butter mix. Add cream and stir very well. Place casserole in oven for 45 minutes until bubbly and the sides have turned brown. YUM!!

http://www.cooks.com/recipe/j4l235p/sho ... erole.html

As an aside, I will post about the shoepeg corn again. In the past only Green Giant produced cans of it. This year we found Le Seur brand (who produce my fave peas). Although I don't have time to search it out, I read an article years ago that said shoepeg corn is the only corn grown that is not GMO and that they started canning it because people thought it looked "funny" with it's uneven kernels and wouldn't buy it. lol Also, the Walmart in Great Falls never had it until I ran into an manager and asked about it. The next time (one year later) that we went there, they had it and have had it ever since. I imagine I wasn't the only one to ask. ha! :

Shoepeg corn is a cultivar of white sweetcorn valued for its sweetness. It is characterized by small, narrow kernels tightly and unevenly packed on the cob. The corn has a sweet, mild flavor. The most common variety of shoepeg corn available today is Country Gentleman.[1]
Shoepeg corn is popular in some regions of the United States, particularly in the South. An early promoter of canned shoepeg corn was Malcolm Mitchell of Maryland — his Mitchell's Shoepeg Sweet Corn is a brand still available today,[2] although its original center of production was turned into the Aberdeen Proving Ground soon after the U.S. declared war on the Central Powers in April 1917.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoepeg_corn

PostPosted: 10/10/14 12:08 pm • # 2 
Administrator

Similar to scalloped corn.

PostPosted: 10/11/14 4:23 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

Yes it is oskar. Hubby's aunt is making ham, scalloped potatoes and carrots. We will eat too much and be happily miserable. lol

I also decided to make my "buckeye balls" to use up the last of my semi-sweet chocolate chips. Peanut butter, butter and icing sugar. Mixed, rolled into balls and refrigerated, then dipped in the melted chips. Back in the fridge to keep. Yummm.

Another of my "famous" recipes. Famous as in the family loves all of the above.

PostPosted: 10/13/14 11:06 am • # 4 
Administrator

We were invited out to a full turkey dinner with all the trimmings, yesterday.

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply