It is currently 03/29/24 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
PostPosted: 02/04/16 12:51 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

I say sort-of because it uses Raisin Bran cereal, not plain bran. However, these are delicious and filling. It's a "six week" batch, as the batter will keep 6 weeks in the fridge so that you can bake small fresh batches. Came from a friend who got it from Mother Earth News (print) Magazine in the late 70's.

As an aside, I've looked for this recipe for years and finally found it when we moved this time, lol. It's on a mail out dated 1981 from a now defunct hospital that was in my parents' neighborhood and hand written by my Mother. Bless her heart, she spelled Raisin as Razin.

Raisin Bran Muffins

15 oz or approx. 425 grams of Raisin Bran
2 C honey. Raw is best. Unpasteurized is still better than pasteurized. (I mean better for you)
1 Quart or 1 L of buttermilk
4 eggs slightly beaten
5 C flour (sub quick cooking oats 2:1. I usually 3 flour and 4 oats)
5 tsp. soda (3 if using self-rising flour)
1 tsp of salt (I omit this)
Pour buttermilk over cereal and let soak for several minutes. Stir in honey and eggs. Add flour, oats and soda (and salt if used). Stir until mixed completely.

Fill greased muffin tins to 2/3 full. Bake at 400F for approx. 20 minutes until top is set and browned.

The batter thickens a lot in the fridge, but still bakes properly. I prefer to bake the entire batch and freeze. They nuke nicely and are great for a quick breakfast or lunch with a glass of milk. Also good with a touch of butter and even peanut butter if you like.

PostPosted: 02/04/16 10:40 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

That sounds yummy! I wonder if adding cinnamon would goober them up?

PostPosted: 02/05/16 8:35 am • # 3 
Editorialist

Probably not. The first batch I made didn't taste right, but I had adjusted the recipe according to my Mom's side note.......from 2C of honey to 1 1/2. So, the next small batch, I drizzled a little honey over the top of one before baking and it tasted right. Baked the other 3 dozen the same way.

Ok, so my point is..... :b .lol.............if you wanted to just sprinkle a bit of cinnamon over one to test it, then you would know.

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply