It is currently 03/28/24 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Knedle (Plum dumpling)
PostPosted: 06/06/16 8:49 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

Has anyone here ever eaten and/or made knedle? It's a plum dumpling that sounds delicious! Made differently in different parts of Europe. Potatoes in many parts, flour in other parts and a combination elsewhere.

Some people put sugar in the middle of the pitted plum, some put a piece of candy, others use poppy seeds in the fried bread crumb/sugar/cinnamon coating. With the potatoes, it can be a meatless meal too. I'm fascinated. Heard the name on the new series "Houdini and Doyle". lol

I doubt that I will ever try to make these. A lot of work, but damn.....it makes my mouth water to think about them.

If you're interested do a search and see all the many different recipes.

PostPosted: 06/23/16 3:46 pm • # 2 
Administrator

roseanne wrote:
Has anyone here ever eaten and/or made knedle? It's a plum dumpling that sounds delicious! Made differently in different parts of Europe. Potatoes in many parts, flour in other parts and a combination elsewhere.

Some people put sugar in the middle of the pitted plum, some put a piece of candy, others use poppy seeds in the fried bread crumb/sugar/cinnamon coating. With the potatoes, it can be a meatless meal too. I'm fascinated. Heard the name on the new series "Houdini and Doyle". lol

I doubt that I will ever try to make these. A lot of work, but damn.....it makes my mouth water to think about them.

If you're interested do a search and see all the many different recipes.

How the heck did I miss that OP?
That's one of my favorite dishes. Full meal.
It's something typical from Austria Bohemia where my family, mother-side, originates.
I make them with yeast dough, filled with an apricot and of course a sugar cube inside. Melted butter, toasted breadcrumbs and lots of sugar on top. No cinnamon and all that other bling.
Apricots because in this damn state one hardly ever can find fresh prunes, which are much better imho.
Plums are usually too big for it.
Potato dough is easier to make but you can't beat the yeast dough flavor wise.
Leftovers in the morning cut up in small chunks, in the pan with more butter, get them a little crisp and the fruit juicy, and again more sugar.
Energy for a week! LOL

Look up Bohemian recipes. Mouthwatering just to look at some pictures.
http://theomaway.com/cuisine/plum-dumpl ... genknodel/

Czech I believe it's knedlicka, in German it's Zwetchgenknoedel or Aprikosenknoedel.

PostPosted: 07/11/16 3:44 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

Of all people, I thought it may be you who would know about these. Do you make your own dough? If so, is it difficult? I'm not very good at yeast dough because I am impatient. :angel

PostPosted: 07/11/16 10:24 pm • # 4 
Administrator

It's simple. I don't even use recipes or weigh my ingredients. A little flour, a little yeast, a little milk, maybe a little more milk, and so on.
Once you do them a few times you'll know what the dough should feel like and you'll just throw the ingredients in a mixing bowl by feel alone. And the fruit you use needs to be ripe which isn't easy to get in this culinary wasteland.

PostPosted: 07/12/16 7:00 am • # 5 
Editorialist

jabra2 wrote:
It's simple. I don't even use recipes or weigh my ingredients. A little flour, a little yeast, a little milk, maybe a little more milk, and so on.
Once you do them a few times you'll know what the dough should feel like and you'll just throw the ingredients in a mixing bowl by feel alone. And the fruit you use needs to be ripe which isn't easy to get in this culinary wasteland.

I hear you about culinary wasteland. It's even worse here in Canada, although a tad better in BC than in Calgary. Still, so much of the fruit where we are is imported. Even though the nearby Okanagan valley is a rich, fertile, temperate climate and grows tons of fruits and veggies, we are on the "wrong" side (east) of the Rogers Pass and dammit, I guess there aren't any new-fangled transport vehicles like trains or planes to be found. :b

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply