It is currently 03/28/24 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
PostPosted: 09/03/16 9:58 am • # 1 
Administrator

From my Facebook feed, another terrific tip from the TipHero site ~ I've used this method occasionally but only used hot water from the faucet ~ good to know HOW hot the water should be and the approximate timing for different cuts of meat ~ Sooz

How to Quickly and Safely Defrost Frozen Meat

If you forgot to take out some small cuts of meat for dinner, don’t fret. There is an FDA approved way to quickly defrost chicken, pork, beef or any other small cuts of meat, and you won’t risk cooking it or dealing with any harmful bacteria. All you need are some freezer bags and a pot of hot water. Check out this handy technique courtesy of America’s Test Kitchen:

http://tiphero.com/how-to-quickly-and-safely-defrost-frozen-meat/

PostPosted: 09/03/16 5:27 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

We always use hot water from the tap, but here it's quite hot.

We package our ground beef (bought in bulk on sale) in freezer bags of 1lb each. We flatten the beef to fill the bag so that not only does it push out all the air, but it stores easier and thaws in no time. My Mom taught me that trick. :D

I semi-thaw my chicken breasts in the microwave (30 seconds each side), then cut into large cubes. Easier to cut mostly frozen. Then I stir-fry the cubes and cut them in half again with my spatula about halfway through so that the inside gets done. Easy for chicken and rice, chicken Caesar salad or chicken pot pie.

I cook my beef roasts from frozen in my Crock Pot.

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ] New Topic Add Reply