It is currently 03/28/24 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next   Page 1 of 3   [ 69 posts ]
 Post subject: What's for dinner?
PostPosted: 12/01/16 4:16 pm • # 1 
Administrator

Tonight we're having Chicken Caccialiberale (no Tories in this house) with pasta.

Post subject: Re: What's for dinner?
PostPosted: 12/01/16 4:51 pm • # 2 
Administrator

oskar576 wrote:
Tonight we're having Chicken Caccialiberale (no Tories in this house) with pasta.

I approve of the "no Tories", but please define "Caccialiberale" before I get jealous ~ :b

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/01/16 7:46 pm • # 3 
Administrator

sooz06 wrote:
oskar576 wrote:

I approve of the "no Tories", but please define "Caccialiberale" before I get jealous ~ :b

Sooz

Chicken cacciatore....my version. Had it with spaghetti w/garlic/olive oil/parmigiana.

Ingredients

2 tbsp olive oil
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 small onion, halved and very thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, shredded
14 oz can tomatoes, finely chopped
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
6 pimiento-stuffed green olives, thickly sliced
1 envelope OXO chicken bouillon powder
300ml wine
generous handful basil leaves
1/4 cup red wine

Instructions

1. Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan, then season the chicken and fry, flattest-side down, for 4-5 mins. Turn the chicken over, add the onion and cook 4-5 mins more. Lift the chicken from the pan and set aside. Add the garlic to the pan, then continue cooking until the onions are soft.
2. Tip in the tomatoes with the balsamic vinegar, olives, OXO, wine, half the basil and seasoning, then simmer, stirring frequently, for 7-8 mins until pulpy. Return the chicken and any juices to the pan and gently simmer, covered, for 5 mins more, to cook the chicken through. Serve scattered with the rest of the basil.

I'm starting to keep track of what I do in case it turns out to be pretty good. If it turns out to be crap you won't hear about it but I will... from N. ;)

Edit: If it's a real FUBAR I'll say so.
Edit #2: Please improve it.

PostPosted: 12/02/16 8:14 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

Tonight we had comfort food. Cheese perogies boiled, drained, then swished around in melted butter. More cheddar cheese on top, with crumbled bacon and sour cream for dipping. Yummmm.

Last night was sirloin tip roast with potatoes and carrots cooked all day in the slow cooker. Will probably have the rest of that tomorrow night. I wish I could remember how my Mom made baked hash out of leftover roast, carrots and potatoes. We ate it over toast.

PostPosted: 12/04/16 6:19 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

Tonight we are having meatloaf with fried mashed potatoes (instant potatoes, Bisquick, egg, milk, onion and cheddar cheese) and sour cream.

I'm going to try my hand at navy bean with ham soup soon. I didn't know until we had it at a restaurant that hubby loves it. Anything to get a few veggies in him other than corn, potatoes and carrots. LOL!
Anyone have a good recipe?

PostPosted: 12/05/16 12:20 pm • # 6 
Administrator

roseanne wrote:
Tonight we are having meatloaf with fried mashed potatoes (instant potatoes, Bisquick, egg, milk, onion and cheddar cheese) and sour cream.

I'm going to try my hand at navy bean with ham soup soon. I didn't know until we had it at a restaurant that hubby loves it. Anything to get a few veggies in him other than corn, potatoes and carrots. LOL!
Anyone have a good recipe?

Haven't tried bean soup but we do pea soup with the hambone and the bits attached to it. We cook the ham in beer so go easy in using any of the broth as it's "strongly flavoured".

PostPosted: 12/05/16 9:27 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

I'd love pea soup, but hubby just gags at the thought. You can use navy beans, great northern beans or cannellini beans (white kidney beans) with the ham too.

Another soup I have GOT to master. Beef barley. Has a big bowl tonight at the truck stop. Yummmm. I'm sure it's not that complicated since the truck stop never makes it the same. Sometimes it has green beans, sometimes peas, sometimes potatoes and carrots. Whatever they have, I guess. Always nice chunks of beef, some onion and celery. It's the barley that scares me, lol. I'd never had it until I came to Canada. Now I'm addicted to it. Turkey barley is ok, but I prefer the beef.

I love that it's soup weather. :) Need to make some chili soon too. Cornbread to eat with it. Heaven.

PostPosted: 12/06/16 9:34 am • # 8 
Administrator

roseanne wrote:
I'd love pea soup, but hubby just gags at the thought. You can use navy beans, great northern beans or cannellini beans (white kidney beans) with the ham too.

Another soup I have GOT to master. Beef barley. Has a big bowl tonight at the truck stop. Yummmm. I'm sure it's not that complicated since the truck stop never makes it the same. Sometimes it has green beans, sometimes peas, sometimes potatoes and carrots. Whatever they have, I guess. Always nice chunks of beef, some onion and celery. It's the barley that scares me, lol. I'd never had it until I came to Canada. Now I'm addicted to it. Turkey barley is ok, but I prefer the beef.

I love that it's soup weather. :) Need to make some chili soon too. Cornbread to eat with it. Heaven.

Beef and barf is an easy one to make
Edit: We braise beef shank to start.

PostPosted: 12/09/16 7:12 am • # 9 
Editorialist

barf? :puke I will be using leftover roast beef in mine.

Tonight chili prepared in crockpot. Cornbread. Got chili recipe from daughter which we had when we were down there, because hubby loved it more than he loves my recipe. The best part is her hand written instructions that she sent to me via text pic. Lists the ingredients, then "Add chili powder. (no amount listed) Taste, then add more chili powder"

There was a time when she would ask for my recipes and bitch because I didn't measure things. :rollin
Now she understands.

PostPosted: 12/10/16 11:53 am • # 10 
Editorialist

The chili was good, although next time I think I'll add some diced tomatoes. I like the texture.

Had biscuits instead of cornbread as per hubby's request. He said they are easier to dunk. :D

PostPosted: 12/10/16 2:58 pm • # 11 
Administrator

roseanne wrote:
The chili was good, although next time I think I'll add some diced tomatoes. I like the texture.

Had biscuits instead of cornbread as per hubby's request. He said they are easier to dunk. :D

Toasted garlic bread goes well with chili, too.

PostPosted: 12/10/16 2:59 pm • # 12 
Administrator

Had spaghetti with an Alfredo-ish sauce that had local smoked salmon added.
Delicious.

PostPosted: 12/11/16 9:26 am • # 13 
Editorialist

Had veggie spring rolls with rice. I am a fairly new fan of spring rolls, but hubby had eaten them for a long time. The ones we buy are a store brand from the freezer. Hubby says they are better than any he's had, even from Chinese restaurants! I can't comment other than to say they are really good.

Has some Chinese plum sauce (a little spicier than plain plum sauce) to dip and a little butter plus soy sauce with the rice.
Simple and good.

PostPosted: 12/11/16 11:05 am • # 14 
Administrator

This thread is a terrific idea ~ my eating habits have changed ~ instead of eating just because it's time to eat, I eat when I'm hungry [unless I'm joining others for lunch or dinner] ~ I very rarely eat 3 meals a day ~

I have some loin pork chops in my fridge ~ so I'm planning on coating the chops with shredded parmesan/romano cheeses and then baking 'em ~ I have some fresh asparagus, which I will either [microwave] steam or roast [asparagus is my #1 favorite veggie] ~ and maybe some Idahoan instant mashed potatoes with roasted garlic ~ before you scoff at the instant [microwaveable] flavored mashed potatoes, try the Idahoan brand ~ quick, easy, AND delicious ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/11/16 12:32 pm • # 15 
Administrator

sooz06 wrote:
This thread is a terrific idea ~ my eating habits have changed ~ instead of eating just because it's time to eat, I eat when I'm hungry [unless I'm joining others for lunch or dinner] ~ I very rarely eat 3 meals a day ~

I have some loin pork chops in my fridge ~ so I'm planning on coating the chops with shredded parmesan/romano cheeses and then baking 'em ~ I have some fresh asparagus, which I will either [microwave] steam or roast [asparagus is my #1 favorite veggie] ~ and maybe some Idahoan instant mashed potatoes with roasted garlic ~ before you scoff at the instant [microwaveable] flavored mashed potatoes, try the Idahoan brand ~ quick, easy, AND delicious ~

Sooz

We do a triple dip version of those chops.

Dip 1: Parmesan
Dip 2: Beaten egg
Dip 3: Bread crumbs w/Italian seasoning

Nice and crispy on the outside and moist/tender meat on the inside.

PostPosted: 12/11/16 1:20 pm • # 16 
Administrator

Sounds delish, oskar ~ I've used the cheeses coating on chicken breast and loved it ~ but tonight it'll be pork chops ~ FTR, I buy the shredded [not "grated"] parmesan/romano already shredded and combined ~ I use that combo on a lot of foods ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/11/16 1:25 pm • # 17 
Administrator

sooz06 wrote:
Sounds delish, oskar ~ I've used the cheeses coating on chicken breast and loved it ~ but tonight it'll be pork chops ~ FTR, I buy the shredded [not "grated"] parmesan/romano already shredded and combined ~ I use that combo on a lot of foods ~

Sooz

We grate our own. It's cheaper, tastes better and the cheese last forever.
Since we started cooking from scratch we've been eating healthier, had better quality/taste and, the bonus, reduced our food costs by 30-40%. We also buy local as much as possible.

PostPosted: 12/11/16 3:45 pm • # 18 
Administrator

Last night was fresh haddock w veggies.
Tonight is BBQ spare ribs, rice and salad.

PostPosted: 12/11/16 5:35 pm • # 19 
Editorialist

Tonight is undecided as of yet, but........we had "appys" of freshly made flourless peanut butter cookies. As someone once said "Life is short, have dessert first" :lol

PostPosted: 12/11/16 5:49 pm • # 20 
Administrator

Plan changed ~ my friend Jonnae spent today cooking ["to relax"] and just surprised me by bringing me more than enough freshly steamed crab claws for dinner ~ all I need to do is melt butter and add some garlic to it ~ yummmmm! ~ pork chops are spending another day in my fridge ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/11/16 6:05 pm • # 21 
Administrator

sooz06 wrote:
Plan changed ~ my friend Jonnae spent today cooking ["to relax"] and just surprised me by bringing me more than enough freshly steamed crab claws for dinner ~ all I need to do is melt butter and add some garlic to it ~ yummmmm! ~ pork chops are spending another day in my fridge ~

Sooz

If it wasn't for the weather we'd be there in a jif..... slippin' 'n slidin' all the way.

PostPosted: 12/11/16 6:32 pm • # 22 
Administrator

You and N. are always welcome here ~ WAIT! ~ let me rephrase that ~ you and N. will always be welcome here AFTER I get my [last] spring cleaning/clearing out done ~ :ey

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/11/16 7:47 pm • # 23 
Administrator

Agent Orange would have me arrested.
I'm still doing my share of agitating down there, ya know.

PostPosted: 12/12/16 6:07 pm • # 24 
Administrator

Oven baked chicken breasts w/ thin slices of squash. Dumped a mix of chopped onion, green pepper, garlic, olive oil, soy sauce, crushed chilies and ginger on top of it and let 'er rip until the chicken was done. Basted it a couple of times.
It turned out pretty good but needs improvement.

PostPosted: 12/13/16 2:07 pm • # 25 
Editorialist

Sounds good oskar.

Tonight Zatarain's Dirty Rice with ground beef. Beef already cook in freezer.
Since the spices for the Dirty Rice come out in a clump, I generally dispose of about 1/3 to 1/2 of it before cooking since it's mostly salt.

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next   Page 1 of 3   [ 69 posts ] New Topic Add Reply