It is currently 03/28/24 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
PostPosted: 02/01/17 5:42 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

I'm really curious to try it. They don't sell "soup bones" here like I've seen in the US, but I'll bet I can ask for them.

If you have done that, please share your method.

PostPosted: 02/03/17 2:29 pm • # 2 
Administrator

Get a bunch of marrow bones and boil them down until there's nothing but clean bone.

PostPosted: 02/03/17 3:20 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
Get a bunch of marrow bones and boil them down until there's nothing but clean bone.

Thanks oskar. I've read that you should roast the bones first. Also, they say to add some carrots and herbs to the boiling process for flavor. Then strain it all.

PostPosted: 02/03/17 4:27 pm • # 4 
Administrator

roseanne wrote:
oskar576 wrote:

Thanks oskar. I've read that you should roast the bones first. Also, they say to add some carrots and herbs to the boiling process for flavor. Then strain it all.

I was about to do an "edit".

We braise the marrow bones first to get a richer flavour but roasting will do as well. BTW, commercial broth is much cheaper. I'd suggest low sodium or salt free/msg free powder from the bulk store, if there is one.

PostPosted: 02/03/17 8:44 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

Thanks. I want stock for the health benefits. I'm not sure they make a commercial stock or that I'd trust it to be healthy, lol. I made the mistake of buying a generic broth that had MSG in it, but haven't experienced any ill effects, although I'm sensitive to that.

I'll look the next time we go to a No Frills or head to Calgary to look at Superstore or Costco. That may be when we see our shadow in the spring....sigh.

PostPosted: 02/03/17 9:15 pm • # 6 
Administrator

I'm fairly certain I got either Swanson or College Inn unsalted beef stock at Costco, roseanne ~ I picked up unsalted chicken stock at the same time ~ I'm guessing larger grocery chains may well carry both too ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 02/06/17 11:09 am • # 7 
Editorialist

The same guys who left the whisky and coffee left an opened container of beef stock. Although I threw it out (don't trust any open liquids), I did make note of the brand because it did not have msg. I did have salt, but very little and it's a local store brand. :)

edited to add: I don't trust open liquids, except for liquor. I figure any germs will be killed. :angel

PostPosted: 02/23/17 4:58 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

roseanne wrote:
I'm really curious to try it. They don't sell "soup bones" here like I've seen in the US, but I'll bet I can ask for them.

If you ask the butcher for a big beef knuckle (the sort of thing you'd want to give a very large dog) they can usually find them for you - most of the time I've ended up getting them for free (they're probably going to be thrown out in any case).

PostPosted: 02/24/17 8:47 am • # 9 
Editorialist

shiftless2 wrote:
roseanne wrote:

If you ask the butcher for a big beef knuckle (the sort of thing you'd want to give a very large dog) they can usually find them for you - most of the time I've ended up getting them for free (they're probably going to be thrown out in any case).

Thanks shift. I found some marrow bones in the freezer section of my local store. No knuckles or joints. Just large bones cut into 3 inch sections. Probably large leg bones. I did read somewhere that the joints are the richest. I'll ask next time.

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply