It is currently 03/28/24 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Chicken wings are cheap
PostPosted: 03/30/17 2:47 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

Courtesy of James Barber (discovered during my student days when wings as bar food hadn't been discovered yet so they were really cheap at the grocery store)

Quote:
Cut chicken wings into 3 pieces.

Place chicken pieces in a pan and cover with 1/4 inch of water.

Add 4 TBSP of soy sauce, 4 TBSP vinegar, 1TSP cayenne, 1TSP hot mustard, and 2 TBSP sugar. Boil vigorously.

When water is reduced by half, add 2 TBSP oil.

Turn wings frequently and reduce heat to medium. Chicken will turn dark brown and sauce will become sticky.

Sprinkle cooked chicken wings with sesame seeds.

That's according to the cookbook. You can substitute for everything.

I use brown sugar and a lot more than 2 TBSP - but you can use honey or anything sweet (warning - if you do use honey, when the sauce thickens and becomes gooey it burns very easily)

Instead of vinegar you can use lemon juice - pretty much anything acidic

I add garlic (couple of tablespoons of minced garlic)

Adjust the cayenne to taste, or use something else spicy. I'm actually typing this as my dinner cooks and I used some seriously hot, hot sauce (ghosts and scorpions - not for the faint of heart) but you can tone it down, or up to suit yourself.

Mustard - I use dried mustard (the stuff that comes in those little yellow cans) but you can use whatever you want or leave it out - I don't like yellow ballpark mustard but that's just me - dijon works well.

PostPosted: 03/30/17 6:07 pm • # 2 
Administrator

I love recipes where "You can substitute for everything." ... mostly because I'm usually missing one or another ingredient ~ this sounded really good, right up to the mega hot sauce ~ I like spice, but my stomach rebels with so much heat ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 03/30/17 9:16 pm • # 3 
Administrator

Try a hot sauce called "Ultimate Insanity". More than a drop or two and your derriere will be complaining the next day.

PostPosted: 03/31/17 4:18 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

Wings cost as much and sometimes more than chicken breasts here. As shift said,

Quote:
when wings as bar food hadn't been discovered yet so they were really cheap at the grocery store

Those days are gone and wings are mostly bone.

I once found a great site that compared the price of meat (especially chicken) with bones in or boneless, skin on or not etc. and would calculate which was the best buy. I lost that link and haven't been able to find it again.

PostPosted: 04/01/17 10:16 am • # 5 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
Try a hot sauce called "Ultimate Insanity". More than a drop or two and your derriere will be complaining the next day.

You are talking to the idiot brave soul that once chowed down on a Carolina Reaper (the hottest pepper currently in existence). My wife grows them but I had picked up a bunch at the farmers' market and loaded them in the dehydrator. Out of curiosity I grabbed one and took a tiny nibble expecting to end up on my knees. Absolutely nothing. So like any moron I popped it in my mouth, chewed and swallowed. Got as far as "That's not very ho..." when it hit me. Agony isn't the word for it - I grabbed the milk out of the fridge and dove into the freezer looking for ice cream. The latter took the edge off of it. In the meantime I was turning red, and not just my face. The top of my head, everything. And when I say red I mean fire engine red, not just flushed. RED My wife was killing herself laughing and, as you can imagine, pics ended up on her FB page.

But if you want real hot sauce, you can always try these

http://firstwefeast.com/features/2016/0 ... u-can-buy/

Or, if you want a more extensive list (which includes sauces you shouldn't even think of using) try this

http://www.chez-williams.com/Hot%20Sauce/hothome.htm

BTW - Ultimate Insanity is on the list towards the bottom.

Tabasco is included with this note
Quote:
This isn't really on the list. I just wanted to give a comparison of how truly hot the other sauces are. If you think Tabasco is hot - better stick with the milk and cookies !!

PostPosted: 04/02/17 9:57 am • # 6 
Administrator

Tabasco is for amateurs.

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply