It is currently 03/28/24 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
PostPosted: 04/10/17 2:31 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

For those Americans that don't know what Back Bacon is, in the US it's called Canadian Bacon - only thing is, the stuff that's sold under that name in the US is a piss poor imitation of the real thing. And since I don't live in Canada I'm reduced to making my own.

Quote:
HOMEMADE PEAMEAL BACON

After making my own peameal bacon for the first time I decided that I wouldn’t be buying peameal bacon from the store ever again. The homemade version has much more flavour, and you know exactly what is going into it, and where you got the pork from. It’s also a simple process with a simple recipe that anyone can do.

The last time I was at Costco, they had whole pork loins on sale for $5 off. I ended up getting a whole loin for about $10, which is a really cheap price. I didn’t have any plans for it when I bought it, but by the time I got home, I had decided that I would make both peameal bacon, and hot smoked Canadian bacon. Peameal bacon is a cured boneless pork loin, traditionally coated in dried and ground yellow peas. Today, corn meal is typically used instead of pea meal. It is lean, but when given a quick fry and not overcooked, it is a delicious and juicy type of bacon. Here’s the recipe for a great homemade peameal bacon.

Peameal Bacon

Ingredients:

Boneless pork loin – 2 pieces approximately 2 lbs each
    Corn meal
    2.5 liters of water
    210 g kosher salt
    150 g sugar
    25 g pink salt / prague powder #1
    1 tbsp pickling spice
    54 g brown sugar
    45 ml honey
    5 cloves of garlic, minced

Instructions:

1. Trim any visible silver skin off the pork loin, and trim any excess fat on it down to about a 1/4 inch layer

2. Prepare a brine by boiling the water, salt, sugar, pink salt, pickling spice, brown sugar, honey, and garlic together – then allow to cool completely Tip: to cool it faster, use 1.5 liters of water when preparing the brine, then pour in 1 liter of ice water to cool it off. If you just add ice to the regular amount of water, you’ll dilute your brine as it melts.

3. Once cooled, place the loins in a large ziploc bag or non-reactive container with the brine, ensuring that they are completely covered.

4. Leave in the fridge for 3.5-5 days. I did 3.5 days, and the pork loin was cured all the way to the middle.

5. Rinse the pork loin, then dry, and roll in a dish of corn meal, pressing it in until a nice even layer sticks to it Note: before coating it in corn meal, you can cut a small piece off and fry it to taste the saltiness level. If it’s too salty, you can let the pork soak in some cool water for a couple of hours, then try it again. If it’s still too salty, change the water and repeat until it comes out the way you like it.

6. Wrap the whole piece of peameal bacon in plastic wrap or aluminium foil, then put it in the freezer until firm, but not frozen. This makes it much easier to slice.

I like to fry these up until the edges are nice and crispy, but the inside is still a little medium rare. This keeps the peameal bacon from drying out too much, and the texture and taste are a lot better than letting it cook to well done.

Slice the peameal bacon to whatever thickness you prefer. I like thicker slices, just under 1/4 inch thick.

http://meatventures.com/homemade-peameal-bacon-recipe/

PostPosted: 04/10/17 2:43 pm • # 2 
Administrator

Since I like and often buy "Canadian bacon" here, I'm not sure I'd ever invest the time/effort needed for this recipe ~ but I do have two questions, shift: [1] what is pink salt?, and [2] what is prague powder #1? ~ :ey

Sooz

PostPosted: 04/10/17 2:52 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

sooz06 wrote:
[1] what is pink salt?, and [2] what is prague powder #1?

They're the same thing. Prague powder is sometimes called pink salt but it is not the pink salt (sometimes called Himalayan Salt) that you'll find in boutique cooking stores.

It's a pickling spice - bright pink so you don't mistake it for salt

https://www.thespruce.com/what-is-pragu ... o-1-996131

BTW - this isn't as time consuming as it sounds since most of the "time" is actually the time the meat is brining in the the fridge. Other than making the brine mixture nothing else takes any real time.

PostPosted: 04/10/17 5:29 pm • # 4 
Administrator

It's interesting that people are finally getting fed up with all the chemical-laced supermarket crap.
The "real deal" simply tastes better.

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply