It is currently 05/17/24 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/02/09 4:48 am • # 1 
Every culture has a shortbread or butter cookie recipe or two and this one is from my Greek heritage. The recipe I have used since I was old enough to be trusted in the kitchen around sharp implements is from a Greek cookbook called, appropriately, "Can The Greeks Cook?". I like to make it at Christmas and make big batches to give as gifts to friends and family. They are messy to eat but totally worth it.

Kourabiedes

6 cups all purpose flour
1 lb (4 sticks) butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup, more or less, chopped pecans or walnuts
whole cloves
powdered sugar

[*]Pre-heat oven to 325F.
    [*]Put the flour and 1/2 cup sugar in a large bowl. [*]Melt the butter in the microwave and add to the flour in bowl. [*]Combine thoroughly and add chopped nuts. Dough will be slightly crumbly but will hold together when pressed. [*]Form into little cakes, about half to 3/4 inches thick and about an inch and a half or so long. [*]Insert a whole clove into the middle of each cake. [*]Bake on un-greased cookie sheets for 20 to 30 minutes, depending on whether you want a softer, melt-in-your-mouth cookie or a crunchy one. These cookies tend to brown more on the bottoms than over all so don't overbake them. [*]After removing cookies from oven, roll them in powered sugar to coat and let cool on a rack. [/list]This recipe makes a lot, 50 or more pieces, depending on the size you make them so go ahead and halve the recipe if you like. They keep well if stored in a cool dry area.

And for those who like molasses and ginger cookies here's a bonus recipe I came up with while fooling around with the kourabiedes recipe:

Ginger Molasses Shortbread

3 cups all purpose flour
    1 1/2 sticks butter, melted
    1/3 cup molasses
    1 t ground ginger (or more if you like)
    1/2 cups chopped nuts
    powered sugar

[*]Basically same directions as for the Kourabiedes - 325F oven [*]Combine all the ingredients except the powered sugar. Mix well. [*]Shape dough into little cakes. [*]Bake for 20-30 minutes on un-greased cookie sheets. These cookies will be darker because of the molasses. [*]After removing from oven, roll in powered sugar and cool on racks.
      [/list]
      And now I am off to start my Xmas holiday baking for my friends at the nursing home...

PostPosted: 12/04/09 6:28 pm • # 2 
Wow great recipes. My granddaughters need 4 dozens cookies to take to class next week so I think I will try one of these since they make so many.

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ] New Topic Add Reply