It is currently 05/04/24 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
PostPosted: 12/20/09 10:00 am • # 1 
The recipe for these sandwich cookies came from the Taste of Home Ultimate Cookie Collection. I made a few changes/substitutions when I made them, based on what I had on hand. The original recipe is below, followed by my note about the substitutions.

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease baking sheets or line them with parchment paper.
Cream together the following in a large bowl:

1 cup shortening
2 cups packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin (1 14-16 oz can)

In another bowl, combine the following:

3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger

In three batches, mix the dry ingredients into the wet until everything is thoroughly combined. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto the prepared pans, about two inches apart. Bake for ten to eleven minutes. Remove from pans to a cooling rack and cool completely. To make sandwiches, prepare your favorite vanilla or cream cheese frosting recipe or use store bought. Frost the flat side of one of the cookies and top with another cookie. Continue until all sandwiches are made. Depending on the size of your cookies, this recipe should make approximately twenty-four sandwiches.

Note: these cookies are more like little cakes, very tender. My substitutions: Two sticks butter for the shortening. I used 1 cup whole wheat flour in place of 1 cup of all purpose flour. For the spices, I added a teaspoonful of pumpkin pie spice along with the ginger and cinnamon. If you are trying to reduce the amount of sugar, I have made this with Splenda Brown Sugar blend instead of the brown sugar and had excellent results. I didn't include the frosting recipe that was published in the book with the original because it appeared that some ingredients were missing, hence my suggestion that you use your own favorite frosting. Both times I made this I used the stuff that comes in tubs.

Post subject: Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
PostPosted: 12/21/09 10:53 am • # 2 
This is another one I am going to have to try. Sounds yummy.

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ] New Topic Add Reply