It is currently 05/18/24 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/29/09 8:10 am • # 1 
Administrator

I tried this recipe yesterday and the chili was delicious ~ the sauce becomes very rich and creamy because of the long cooking time, and the dried black beans do NOT need to be soaked before because of the long cooking time ~ I'm typing the real recipe, but I made a number of adjustments to it that I'll put in "Notes" at the end ~ ENJOY! ~ Sooz

Slow-Cooker Beef and Black Bean Chili ~ 4 servings

1 pound beef chuck, cut into 3/4" chunks
1 can (15 oz) tomato puree
1 cup dried black beans, rinsed
1 medium red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tbsps chili powder
2 cups water
salt and pepper
1/4+ cup sour cream, for serving ~ optional

In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine beef, tomato puree, beans, onion, garlic, chili powder, 2 cups water, 2 tsps salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Cover and cook on high for 6 hours [or on low for 8 hours]. Serve chili topped with a dollop of sour cream and some chopped onion.

Notes:

~ Do stir the pot occasionally ~ the sauce will appear to be too much and too thin, but it thickens up during the long cooking.

~ I used about 1-1/2 lbs meat because that's what I had ~ next time, I will use even more meat.

~ I increased the beans to about 1-2/3 cups because I used more meat, but again I will use more next time.

~ I used a fairly large red onion [that's what I had], and again I will use more next time.

~ I only had almost exactly 3 tbsps of chili powder ~ but I felt it needed more so I tossed in some taco seasoning from a packet [which is mostly chili powder] ~ that worked fine.

~ I also increased the minced garlic, salt, and pepper because I was using more of everything else.

~ Maybe most importantly, I didn't have canned tomato puree ~ I checked and puree is basically tomato paste thinned with water ~ so I used a can of tomato sauce and added a heaping tbsp of tomato paste [to thicken it up] ~ this worked perfectly.

~ I used a 6-quart slow cooker, but a 4-quart [using the proportions I used] would have been fine ~ with my adds, this is at least 5, and maybe 6, generous servings.

UPDATE: Katy made this recipe yesterday using lean ground beef, browned and added during the last hour of cooking time with great results.

Last edited by sooz06 on 01/03/10 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12/29/09 1:07 pm • # 2 
Sooz, this looks real good and I have everything except the chili powder on hand. I'll have to give it a try.

PostPosted: 01/09/10 5:42 pm • # 3 
I'm going to give this a try also. Sounds really good.

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply