It is currently 05/09/24 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Kugel
PostPosted: 02/19/10 9:37 am • # 1 
When I was a kid, I was not very adventurous food wise.  For example, I took tuna salad sandwiches to school every day for lunch because I didn't like anything else. 

The thought of eating a sweet pudding made with rice or bread made me gag.  My mom loved rice pudding and made it often but could never induce me or my sister to try it.  The one time she made bread pudding was also the last time.  Monsters that we were (I was twelve and my sister was six) we refused to even taste a spoonful.  This earned us the punishment of having to stay at the dinner table until we ate all the pudding.  While mom took a small pan of pudding to the next door neighbor, we were stuck at the table putting all manner of condiments into our pudding - ketchup, salt, pepper, whatever was on hand.  We figured we'd get smacked when she came back but she was just disgusted with us.  I guess she figured some battles were not worth fighting so she never made bread pudding again. 

That long intro was just to explain why I would have gagged at the thought of eating a sweet noodle pudding.  Although I had never encountered it, it would have fallen into the class of food combinations that as a kid, I would have considered "not right" and unnatural.  Evil!

Fast forward a gazillion years later and I am in a nursing home.  One of the few sugar free dessert options for diabetics was rice pudding.  I tried it and actually ended up liking it which meant that I would have to rethink my views of bread pudding and kugel.  So now I'm in my own place and have my own kitchen.  It was time to tackle my childhood food demons.  I would make a kugel!

Noodle Kugel
1 lb egg noodles
1 stick butter, melted
1 16oz container cottage cheese
1 16oz container sour cream
8 eggs
3/4 cup Splenda or sugar
1 cup dried, diced fruit

Topping
3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
1 stick butter
3/4 to 1 cup Splenda brown sugar blend or brown sugar

1 teaspoon cinnamon
[list type=decimal][*]Cook egg noodles according to package directions and drain.[*]Return noodles to empty pot and stir in butter, set aside.[*]In a large bowl, combine cottage cheese, sour cream, Splenda, eggs and dried fruit.[*]Add the cheese mixture to the noodles and stir until well combined.[*]Put the noodles into a greased 13x9" baking pan.[*]Combine flour, brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and cut in the butter with a pastry blender or two knives until you get a crumbly mixture.[*]Spread the crumbs over the top of the noodles and place pan into a preheated 350 degree oven.  Bake for 50-55 minutes.[*]Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes or so before serving.
[/list]I like kugel, I really do!

Notes:  The original recipe came from All Recipes ([url=http://]http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Noodle-Kugel/Detail.aspx[/url]) but I made a few substitutions: I used 2% cottage cheese and lite sour cream.  I replaced all the sugar called for in the original recipe with Splenda and also reduced the amount used based on reviews from other cooks who said it was too sweet.  I added fruit which the original recipe didn't call for.  The topping in the original recipe used crushed graham crackers and butter.  I preferred making my own crumb topping although it ended up melting instead of being crumby - still tasted good though.
  DelMonte or Sunmaid make a diced dried fruit mix if you don't feel like doing all the chopping youself.

PostPosted: 02/19/10 10:02 am • # 2 
Administrator

Noodle kugel is a Jewish staple tradition, especially for holiday meals ~ one easy tweak to your recipe, pic, is to use a combination of broad, medium-broad, and fine noodles ~ adds a very nice and very subtle texture ~ your recipe sounds terrific, pic, and I will definitely try it ~ my mother and I both have several different kugel recipes ~ I'll pull them together and put them in this thread ~ another traditional kugel is potato kugel, but I'm not a fan of that ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 02/19/10 1:18 pm • # 3 
Sooz, have you ever tried making a kugel with pasta instead of egg noodles?  If yes, how did it turn out?  I would like to make this even more diabetic friendly by using a high fiber pasta product.  So far, I have yet to find high fiber egg noodles in my travels around the web.

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply