It is currently 05/09/24 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
PostPosted: 03/30/10 4:22 am • # 1 
Administrator

Mac 'n cheese is one of my "comfort foods" ~ this is a terrific, simple recipe ~ ENJOY! ~ Sooz

3 Cheese Mac 'n Cheese with Country Smoked Bacon

8 oz. package small pasta shells
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 pinch garlic salt
3 tsp. butter  
1-1/2 cans (11 oz.) condensed cream of cheddar cheese soup
1/3 cup shredded havarti cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
3/4 cups shredded white cheddar cheese (reserve a 1/4 cup cheese to top casserole)
4 strips thick-sliced country smoked bacon (or regular bacon), cut into 1/2-inch pieces

Preheat oven to 350°F. Bring a large pot of lightly-salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes, then drain. Transfer the pasta to a casserole dish. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic salt. Stir the butter into the pasta mixture until the butter melts. Add the cheddar cheese soup, havarti, parmesan, and 1/2 cup of white cheddar cheese; stir well. Bake for about 25 minutes. While the mac 'n cheese is baking, fry the bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Top casserole with crumbled bacon and reserved cheddar cheese. Place under broiler for about 30-60 seconds until the cheese melts. Serve hot.

Notes:
~ I didn't have Havarti in the house so I shredded some Edam ~ added a subtle "nutty" flavor.
~ I used sharp white cheddar; next time I'll try extra sharp white cheddar.
~ I baked [vs fried] the bacon ~ MUCH easier clean-up ~ I'm guessing nuke-able bacon is even easier clean-up.
~ I used only 1 can of cheddar cheese soup but thinned it with a couple ounces of milk ~ this worked just fine.
~ I used a parmesan/romano blend ~ so maybe this should really be called 4 cheese mac 'n cheese ~ Image.

~ I did all the mixing in a big bowl [vs in the casserole dish] ~ just made the mixing easier.  

Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ] New Topic Add Reply