It is currently 05/08/24 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
 Post subject: Barley Vegetable Salad
PostPosted: 09/27/10 11:22 am • # 1 
Editorialist

This is a recipe I copied out of a magazine many (over ten ) years ago but never got around to trying until last night.  The original recipe didn't specify to cook the broccoli and cauliflower but since I don't like either of these vegetables raw, I cooked them.  The original recipe also called for bottled Italian salad dressing but I preferred to make my own.  When you make it yourself, you can control what goes in it.

Barley Vegetable Salad

2 cups water
1 cup uncooked pearled barley
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup diced green peppers
1/4 cup diced onions
1 14-16oz can stewed tomatoes, well drained and chopped

Heat the water and salt in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.  Rinse the barley and drain, then add to the boiling water and stir.  Cover and reduce heat to a simmer.  Cook barley until tender and the water has been absorbed, about 35-45 minutes, stirring occasionally and checking to make sure it doesn't burn.  Transfer cooked barley to a large bowl.  Add green peppers, onions and stewed tomatoes, cover and set aside.

2 cups frozen, chopped broccoli and cauliflower mix
1 cup frozen, sliced carrots

In medium saucepan, bring several cups of water to a boil.  Add the broccoli/cauliflower mix and carrots and cook until they reach desired tenderness.  Drain well and add to the bowl with the barley and other vegetables and stir to combine.

Dressing

1/2 cup mayo (or fat-free mayo)
juice of one lemon
1 teaspoon garlic pepper
1/3-1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Sugar or Splenda to taste

Combine the dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk together.  Pour the dressing over the salad and stir to combine.  Salad can be served hot or cold.  Makes about six servings.

Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ] New Topic Add Reply