It is currently 04/28/24 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: A Simple Meat Pie
PostPosted: 10/29/10 1:30 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

Comfort food!  I can't remember where I got the original recipe but I changed it up a bit and this is the result:

Simple Meat Pie

1 pre-baked pie crust, deep dish, 9"
2 lbs ground pork
1/2 cup or more of diced green pepper
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 package onion soup mix
2 cups water
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, more or less
[list type=decimal][*]Saute meat, green pepper and garlic in a little oil in a large skillet until the meat is completely cooked.  Drain off the fat and set aside.[*]Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Put pie pan on a cookie sheet.[*]In a saucepan, combine the onion soup mix and water and heat until boiling.  Remove from heat and whisk in cornstarch.  Keep whisking until soup thickens into a gravy.[*]Pour the gravy into the meat and mix well to combine.  Pour the meat filling into the pie crust and gently pack it down, evening out the top.  Sprinkle the shredded cheese over top and put in the oven to bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese has melted.  Serves 4-6.  A green salad would go great with this pie.[/list]Notes:  This pie is easy to customize.  You can substitute ground beef, turkey, etc. for the pork or do a combination of meats.  If you need to watch your sodium intake, use 2 cups of jarred gravy in place of the soup mix, water and cornstarch.  Many jarred gravies have a lot less sodium than the soup mix so after mixing the gravy into the meat, you can taste and adjust the seasoning before filling the pie crust.  Use a different cheese, replace the green peppers with chopped onion (or have both in the pie).

PostPosted: 11/02/10 8:33 pm • # 2 
Thank you--will definitely give this one a try! Might try mashed potatoes on top of the meat under the cheese...

PostPosted: 06/03/11 1:30 pm • # 3 
Administrator

Try some real tourtiere if you want good meat pie.

PostPosted: 06/03/11 1:36 pm • # 4 
Administrator

Close but a bit light on the cloves.

http://allrecipes.com/Rec...an-tourtiere/Detail.aspx

PostPosted: 06/04/11 4:59 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
Try some real tourtiere if you want good meat pie.

Yummmm! One of the foods I've learned about since coming here. There is a little bakery here that makes the best! A little pricey tho..$25/pie! Image I guess for homemade, it's worth it. Superstore has a good frozen one that we serve with gravy. The only thing is, I must take a Pepcid before or I get major heartburn. lol  A piece or two of that with a side Caesar or mixed salad makes a great, quick meal. I've never tried to make my own. 

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply